Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Posted Image What was your favourite model of 2017? Cast your vote

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

The Engine Shed

• Please log in to reply
1898 replies to this topic

#1876 Miss Prism

Miss Prism

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 23:13

I bet the catalogues have long since been printed.

You're probably right. Well, at least let's hope Hornby can make an effort to correct the online info and pdfs.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#1877 Nimbus

Nimbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 16:39

I bet the catalogues have long since been printed. They will need to go through them all now with tippex!

It was in fact on the shelf at WH Smith Kings Cross today, with the other railway mags. I'll pick one up the next time it isn't raining!

While you're there, you could probably obtain the Tippex

The Nim.

Edited by Nimbus, 09 January 2018 - 16:40 .

#1878 JSpencer

JSpencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 13:59

It was in fact on the shelf at WH Smith Kings Cross today, with the other railway mags. I'll pick one up the next time it isn't raining!

While you're there, you could probably obtain the Tippex

The Nim.

Yeah, Hornby offers a free bottle of tippex with each catalogue, print off the online voucher now with the user guide on what pages need to be tippexed... Customers who brought their catalogues from model shops are free to return them if the tippexing has not already been applied as Hornby advised them to in their new T&Cs....

Edited by JSpencer, 10 January 2018 - 14:00 .

• Funny x 2

#1879 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:20

New Engine Shed is up

https://www.hornby.c...8-range-launch/

• Thanks x 8
  • Like x 1

#1880 MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:36

New Engine Shed is up

https://www.hornby.c...8-range-launch/

Thats more like it - Engine shed back on form and promising more of the same through the year. Best Hornby announcement of 2018 for me!  

• Agree x 4
  • Like x 3

#1881 Chris116

Chris116

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationWandsworth

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:44

Good to see the statement in the latest Engine Shed that it will be continuing as before and that they have noticed the large amount of talk about it on various forums.

• Like x 4
  • Agree x 2

#1882 rovex

rovex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationRedditch

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:48

Seems like reports of its demise were much exaggerated

:sungum: 

• Agree x 3

#1883 Legend

Legend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 13:28

Yes good news indeed. It’s reassuring that they’ve read the forums and mentioned it. Just the degree of interaction we want . Shame it’s only monthly , but it’s better than I hoped for
  • Agree x 6
  • Like x 1

#1884 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 14:31

Well,I'd like to think that Hornby's senior dinosaurs.....sorry,management....have listened to the groundswell of opinion and taken their stone tablets into hibernation back up the mountain in order to release once more the fresh air of dialogue.Good decision.Please stay on course.Welcome back. :yahoo:

• Agree x 4
  • Like x 4

#1885 Dunsignalling

Dunsignalling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,572 posts
  • LocationMilepost 154 3/4

Posted 12 January 2018 - 15:06

Yes good news indeed. It’s reassuring that they’ve read the forums and mentioned it. Just the degree of interaction we want . Shame it’s only monthly , but it’s better than I hoped for

I took the implication to be that it would be monthly, with "extras" if circumstances justified it.

Better that, surely, than putting it out weekly or fortnightly when there's nothing of any significance to communicate.

John

• Agree x 6

#1886 bigherb

bigherb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationWest Kent

Posted 12 January 2018 - 15:34

Well,I'd like to think that Hornby's senior dinosaurs.....sorry,management....have listened to the groundswell of opinion and taken their stone tablets into hibernation back up the mountain in order to release once more the fresh air of dialogue.Good decision.Please stay on course.Welcome back. :yahoo:

Bit harsh Mr Hargrave.

• Like x 2

#1887 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 17:10

Bit harsh Mr Hargrave.

Maybe.But reflect on this...that if we hadn't kicked up a dust over this issue we may well have lost the facility.
  • Like x 5

#1888 bigherb

bigherb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationWest Kent

Posted 12 January 2018 - 17:27

Maybe.But reflect on this...that if we hadn't kicked up a dust over this issue we may well have lost the facility.

I wasn't aware that Hornby ever said that they where discontinuing the engine shed, perhaps you can enlighten us when that was? Only change the frequency and postpone one.

• Agree x 2

#1889 Ian Hargrave

Ian Hargrave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 18:07

I wasn't aware that Hornby ever said that they where discontinuing the engine shed, perhaps you can enlighten us when that was? Only change the frequency and postpone one.

I think it is safe to assume a shall we say a degree of uncertainty over Hornby's policy of communicating to the modelling public.Indeed reading the current edition of The Engine Shed does acknowledge this. Quote..."We hope that puts a few concerns to bed".I think the meaning is quite clear.

#1890 Ozexpatriate

Ozexpatriate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,929 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 18:55

Seems like reports of its demise were much exaggerated

I don't think anyone suggested it was finished.

I suspect is now a subtly different thing - and one that many of us had historically asked for from Hornby in some form, that being a periodic status update on work in progress. A monthly update is not unreasonable for that. In contrast, Bachmann's official factory updates are quarterly, though they are more thorough than the way The Engine Shed presents information.

We shall have to see if the teasers for future releases continue to be presented in The Engine Shed, or if all hints of new releases are confined to a formal and annual 'big bang'.

• Agree x 5
  • Like x 1

#1891 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:49

Yes, and I only hope we will get back the 'old' Engine Shed complete with teasers etc rather than some rather bowdlerized version which has a hint of 'PR' interference about it.  I think Ozexpatriate has hit the nail on the head with his comment and like him I fear it might be a subtly different thing which could possibly lose the immediacy and 'fun' element of The Engine Shed as we knew it before the new ancien regime put their fingers into the pudding mix - time will tell.

Edited by The Stationmaster, 13 January 2018 - 10:52 .

• Like x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1892 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30,731 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:51

They didn't but it became rather conspicuous by both its absence and even more so the very noticeable absence of some of the things it was doing barely a year ago.

• Agree x 5

#1893 Frond

Frond

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 14:59

In the last edition of The Engine Shed Hornby stated that they did not measure the Duchess of Hamilton at the NRM because it is not in original configuration. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the details I am curious as to what the differences are between the how she is now and how she was originally. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

Thank you in anticipation.

#1894 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 14 January 2018 - 21:23

In the last edition of The Engine Shed Hornby stated that they did not measure the Duchess of Hamilton at the NRM because it is not in original configuration. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the details I am curious as to what the differences are between the how she is now and how she was originally. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I too am quite unsure of the details but I believe 6220 and 6229 exchanged identities soon after 6229 was built, as this was built carefully for the USA tour with the number and plates of 6220, and the identities never reversed, so 6229 was in fact the original 6220 with the extra cowling over the cylinder drains (only the first five built had this).  The original 6220 would have had all sorts of air-smoothing panels made as by hand originals without patterns (or 'formers') so would have varied from later engines in this respect, but the subtleties of this are beyond me!

cheers

#1895 Hroth

Hroth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 21:29

I too am quite unsure of the details but I believe 6220 and 6229 exchanged identities soon after 6229 was built, as this was built carefully for the USA tour with the number and plates of 6220, and the identities never reversed, so 6229 was in fact the original 6220 with the extra cowling over the cylinder drains (only the first five built had this).  The original 6220 would have had all sorts of air-smoothing panels made as by hand originals without patterns (or 'formers') so would have varied from later engines in this respect, but the subtleties of this are beyond me!

cheers

Also the Duchess of Hamilton was de-streamlined with all the other streamlined members of the class and only recently re-clothed, so any measurements would be of the modern recreation of the streamlining, not as how she rolled out of Crewe in 1938.

• Agree x 1

#1896 Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 21:30

IIRC the casing of Duchess of Hamilton has a reduced height so that if Duchess of Hamilton is returned to steam it'll have a more friendly loading gauge.

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1897 asmay2002

asmay2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 14 January 2018 - 21:44

They did intend to put her back in steam when she was re-streamlined so it might be that the height is slightly reduced compared to original comdition.

#1898 Dunsignalling

Dunsignalling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,572 posts
  • LocationMilepost 154 3/4

Posted 14 January 2018 - 21:55

They did intend to put her back in steam when she was re-streamlined so it might be that the height is slightly reduced compared to original comdition.

It is.

#1899 Tarnish1

Tarnish1

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 22:09

The re-streamlining of Hamilton has catered for latest gauge requirements - lower overall height I believe by a couple of inches or so due to new track ballasting levels..