Scalescenes Edwardian School TO36

Herewith my attempt at the Scalescenes 'Edwardian School'.

When I first saw the TO36 School building [ http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T036-School] by John Wiffen I was looking for a free-lance 1920-40 station building, and wondered if I could kit bash this charming model.

First of all, even as a practised admirer of John's work this is not a building for the beginner, or indeed someone lacking staying power. It is complex and ingenious.

With advancing arthritic problems in my shoulders, I knew cutting out a number of components in 2mm grey pasteboard would give me grief, so have deliberately chosen to use 1.3mm and 0.6mm white card rather than the recommended 2mm and 1mm, concious that I would have to supplement the thickness of 'stacked' components with an extra layer or two. I have  read each of the 11 pages of instructions and studied the 14 pages of components and reckoned that the alteration in thickness of the card would not compromise any 'length' accuracies, but the thinness of card would necessitate additional layers to make up the 8mm thickness needed for chimney stacks, which are covered by a complete wrap of texture paper.

I made them up in two layers of 1.3mm card, allowed them to dry and then stick them as often as needed to extra layers of card, cutting each using the component shape as a guide. This avoided the need to print out additional copies of the components.

I have missed off the rear flat roof extension, allowing the long rear wall to be adapted for a variety of uses, I have thought about an 'ambulance entrance'  and making the building a rural maternity home for example. Both the large and small gables build up as separate features, and in theory can be stuck on the end/side of another building and a roof cobbled over the top.

It was an enjoyable model to build, it proves that you do not need to stick rigidly to the 2mm and 1mm card thickness recommended by John at Scalescenes if you are prepared to examine the instructions carefully, calculate the thickness of components that need to be 'wrapped' with a pre-printed texture and can make up the dimension to within 0.5mm. In this case, the floor plan was a great help.

post-106-0-29005800-1426959935.jpg

post-106-0-18551300-1426959933.jpg

post-106-0-43442900-1426959931.jpg

post-106-0-76422700-1426959927.jpg

post-106-0-04628000-1426959926.jpg

I think you'll agree, another lovely model from JW, and one not found elsewhere [AFAIK]

Poop-poop!

Doug

• Like 14

Hey Doug,

I followed your build, elsewhere, you are a master craftsman! My hat's off to you. :) You have built a beautiful model.

I looked at this kit for use as a station building as well, but will probably go with the large LBSCR one from ABM Railcraft.

Jim F

• 2 years later...

A quick note to say the textured roof finish was achieved by printing out that portion of the model on fine textured watercolour paper and the chimney pots by wrapping strips of newspaper around cocktail sticks wrapped in cling film then 'twizzled' in thick acrylic paint between thumb and fore-finger. If the 'phone rings in 'mid-pot' ignore it....

Doug

Edited by Chubber

• 3 weeks later...