Ranelagh Bridge, Looking from the other side

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Over the past few days I have been trying to do the electrics for my version Ranelagh Bridge. I have run in to a couple of self-made problems.

First, I like to make up my cable form (wiring loom) on the top of the base board, I find it easier. With Ranelagh Bridge I am using recovered point motors off Hanging Hill, well I wired them up only to realise they will not go through the holes (still to be drilled) in the base board support timbers. Not too much of a problem as I will only need to unsolder one or two wires per point motor.

Second. The control panel, somehow I managed to miss out a point when I drew the track plan on to the panel face, I only noticed late last night when I came to do the wires for point number six. New panel face has been drawn but still needs to be cut out. I now need to transfer the switches etc. to the new panel.

I may have it running by Christmas.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

It will be hard to "box it in" partly due to its real location. The records building will help, as will the boundary wall as that is quite high but towards the bridge it does get quite open at the back of the layout. In reality there should be 7 running lines, 2 LT lines with the island platform of Royal Oak station, 6 freight lines before you get to the first high piece of scenery and that is the A40 elevated road. Hopefully if it goes to any shows (if built) the exhibtion managers will allow me to place it at an angle.

attachicon.gifRB ex.png

Have you any dimensions to go with your baseboard please? As I still cannot rid thoughts of building a diesel stabling point from my mind, with a track plan very similar to either Ranelagh Bridge or perhaps Kings Cross as a basis.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Have you any dimensions to go with your baseboard please? As I still cannot rid thoughts of building a diesel stabling point from my mind, with a track plan very similar to either Ranelagh Bridge or perhaps Kings Cross as a basis.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I will get the tape measure out tonight. Both boards are about 4 ft 9 ins long so layout is 9 ft 6ins long and the wideset board is about 2 ft 9 ins wide.

As for Kings Cross

post-16423-0-43703300-1440164744_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive sorry to read about your Control Panel Mate, I've done the same a few years ago and missed out a complete Loop. :no:  :no: :no:  

It must be an AGE THING, hahhahahhah :sungum:

There is no cheeky toad button.

mind you, you might be right :(

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

Hi Kevin

9ft 2ins long and 2ft 5ins wide.

I have gone for odd shaped baseboards as the real thing was an unusual shape.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin

9ft 2ins long and 2ft 5ins wide.

I have gone for odd shaped baseboards as the real thing was an unusual shape.

Thanks thats useful as my office at home is not the largest and as you might imagine is also full of books etc for research purposes as I keep telling the missus. I hope to be able to start construction before Christmas once the track plans are finally worked out and the baseboards designed.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Clive will never grow old, he has no compassion for older people.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I do have compassion, for Wreckrail I was willing to give you a discount (on the £3 admission fee) based on the inflation rate. Not my fault the inflation rate in June was 0%. Anyhow after making the venue accessible for our older friends someone had a better offer and was noticable by his absence............

Did Mr Hanson present you with your special ticket?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

I do have compassion, for Wreckrail I was willing to give you a discount (on the £3 admission fee) based on the inflation rate. Not my fault the inflation rate in June was 0%. Anyhow after making the venue accessible for our older friends someone had a better offer and was noticable by his absence............

Did Mr Hanson present you with your special ticket?

Yes thank you, very amusing.

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wiring is now complete and layout working............I had 3 new locos a 43, 47 and 52 running tonight with a 128 parcels unit. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

And I have been allowed to test it in the living room. It does fit in the manshed but with Brisbane Road and Sheffield Exchange both operational the fat bald bloke does not fit in there. :no: :no:

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a year of inactivity today I made the decision that Ranelagh Bridge was not going to be any more. I striped the wiring out, savaging the long bits. Seep point motors have been saved. I recovered the best bits of track, some of the points and track had seen service on Pig Lane and Hanging Hill so no loss with what was binned. The base boards due to their odd shape have found their way to the tip recycling center.

I gained quite a bit from having a go at Ranelagh Bridge. It was my first attempt at a real location , using Peco points, and it worked. My first go at building odd shaped baseboards, they sort of worked. I was quite pleased with what i achieved despite it only ever being bare baseboards and track.

My only disappointment in not finishing it is I cannot say to Peter Kazmierczak "I've done it". As it was Peter's article on Ranelagh Bridge and Kings Cross passenger loco in the Model Railway Constructor way back in time that led me down the path of loco depots and wanting to do both locations. Well I part done one. Thank you Peter. 

Archived