ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

Excellent glad to see some progress on these. And that my information has hopefully been worth it? Smiley? Ah you mean the TOPS wagon number disks on the left hand end of the sole bar yes they look quite good and by the looks of things readable! Steam era upto 16 wagons Diesels era initially 18 then later upto 24 loaded as a quick recap. Though shorter loaded rakes have been noted especially in Diesel era too.

Paul

Will be nice to see the weathered samples.....cannot decide until then whether to go for clean or yack! (My nearly 3yr old sons word for mucky!)  After talking to Hattons its supposed to be somewhere in-between that Hornby and Mercig.....

I am beside myself with excitement! I have waited 52 years for these wagons!! Lived in Hale and watched them every day for the first 18 years of my life. Even remember 8fs at Skelton..... all we need now is for Phil Sutton's lot to announce a 25/3 as good as the 24!!

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 1

Just a query over the shade of grey on the models. I appreciate these are still under evaluation but have a look at the 3 photos of ICIM 19134 on Huw Millington's Private Owner Wagons Flickr site - it should give you some idea of what the ex-works grey livery was in the mid 1980s period.

Paul

My memory was that there was often one rather clean looking wagon in a lot of rakes as wagons got circulated through works. The colour they went was amazing and I am not sure what chemical process is involved? Always seemed to be more than just dirt? Lime dust + ? + ? = strange brown. Any chemists amongst us?

• Like 1

Yes a prototype for everything. Ex-works wagons were usually positioned at the head of the empty rake of hoppers as shown at Oakleigh Sidings as I.C.I.s Avenue works was located just to the south of Wallerscote works on a spur line off the Gorstage branch. I can remember seeing the empties coming up through Hazel Grove like this every few weeks once a wagon had been released from works. Note that even the wheelset faces and the axle itself were grey along with the Instanter couplings!

Paul

• Like 1

I have often wondered that how they went brown so quickly. Brake and traffic dust can be added to the lime dust although lime dust did seem to last longer from memory especially when split over the ends or sides. I will have to look at my photos of the wagons at Winnington and Lostock.

Paul

My memory was that there was often one rather clean looking wagon in a lot of rakes as wagons got circulated through works. The colour they went was amazing and I am not sure what chemical process is involved? Always seemed to be more than just dirt? Lime dust + ? + ? = strange brown. Any chemists amongst us?

Paul you are the guru.... thought you would be outdoors with some steel plate and lime dust trying to replicate the grime? They were a peculiar shade and very uniform. PS......Anyone got any decent pictures of the inside of them in service?

S

Paul you are the guru.... thought you would be outdoors with some steel plate and lime dust trying to replicate the grime? They were a peculiar shade and very uniform. PS......Anyone got any decent pictures of the inside of them in service?

S

Post 113 in this topic shows one off the footbridge at Oakleigh!

Guru... wow ok lol. Yes the brown was pretty uniform. I will have to dig out some photos and scan them. I did manage to get some photos of the insides but only from footbridges as they were passing underneath. And silly me I never went to Oakleigh Sidings when they were still on the mainline (one of my regrets amongst others!). So my two local footbridges 13 and 25 were my vantage points for inside shots usually.

Paul

S

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've now received the remaining painted samples of the ICI hoppers from Oxford.

As with the others, they've been checked over to make sure everything is looking good before sending off the versions requiring weathering to Mercig Studios.

Once the weathering masters have been produced, they'll be sent back to the factory for them to recreate the effects on the production models.

You may find it interesting to note that the versions being released as heavily weathered use a brown base model rather than grey.

This is to more accurately replicate the weathered state these wagons quickly saw themselves in, as has been noted already in this thread and can be seen in the image below.

post-28458-0-54949200-1500034701_thumb.png

37504 on a Tunstead to Northwich service at Skelton Junction 24/05/1993 ©N H Spilsbury

Once we've got any more to show I'll be sure to share it with you all.

To view all versions, which are still available to pre-order, click HERE.

As ever, comments and feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-22598000-1500035105.jpg

post-28458-0-13158400-1500035106.jpg

post-28458-0-92655500-1500035106.jpg

post-28458-0-35086100-1500035108.jpg

post-28458-0-45590700-1500035109.jpg

• Like 16

Just a query over the shade of grey on the models. I appreciate these are still under evaluation but have a look at the 3 photos of ICIM 19134 on Huw Millington's Private Owner Wagons Flickr site - it should give you some idea of what the ex-works grey livery was in the mid 1980s period.

Paul

Evening matey, these won't be the right colour no matter how there done! The light grey ex works / Claire's grey i'm told by Ex BX drivers? Is easilly mixed by using DRS smoke grey and toned up or down depending on preference? For the rusty dirty filthy brown, Sleeper Grime is a good match! :)

• Like 1

Hi all,

We've now received the remaining painted samples of the ICI hoppers from Oxford.

As with the others, they've been checked over to make sure everything is looking good before sending off the versions requiring weathering to Mercig Studios.

Once the weathering masters have been produced, they'll be sent back to the factory for them to recreate the effects on the production models.

You may find it interesting to note that the versions being released as heavily weathered use a brown base model rather than grey.

This is to more accurately replicate the weathered state these wagons quickly saw themselves in, as has been noted already in this thread and can be seen in the image below.

attachicon.gifNHSpilsburyICI.png

37504 on a Tunstead to Northwich service at Skelton Junction 24/05/1993 ©N H Spilsbury

Once we've got any more to show I'll be sure to share it with you all.

To view all versions, which are still available to pre-order, click HERE.

As ever, comments and feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

Dave

attachicon.gifICI001A_painted.jpg

attachicon.gifICI001BW_painted.jpg

attachicon.gifICI002A_painted.jpg

attachicon.gifICI002BW_painted.jpg

attachicon.gifICI005DW_painted.jpg

Hi Dave,

Will you be publishing views online of the weathered samples when you get them back from Mercig and prior to sending same off to the factory? 

My order is for 12 x BR steam era weathered wagons and I would prefer to have early an sight of them just in case I decide to change the order to pristine versions and weather them myself. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Will you be publishing views online of the weathered samples when you get them back from Mercig and prior to sending same off to the factory? 

My order is for 12 x BR steam era weathered wagons and I would prefer to have early an sight of them just in case I decide to change the order to pristine versions and weather them myself. 

Hi locoman.

We certainly will be sharing images of the weathering masters. As soon as we get them back from Mercig we'll let you all know.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've posted this video elsewhere, but have added it here as it includes trains of ICI stone hoppers at Peak Forest and Great Rocks Junction - fast forward to 5mins 30 seconds.

• Like 16

Hi,

I've posted this video elsewhere, but have added it here as it includes trains of ICI stone hoppers at Peak Forest and Great Rocks Junction - fast forward to 5mins 30 seconds.

Wow...brought a tear to this sad old eye....superb. Now have you got any film from about 2 or 3 years earlier before the 25s finished. That would finish me off!!....I stand corrected Have just watched the 1984 part 1 and have had to go for a lie down after 14:32https://vimeo.com/227151759

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 5

Not only a 25 + ICI hoppers but a 124 TP unit rasping uphill too.

Instant nostalgia.

Kev.

Yeah Kev. I kinda got all mixed up on dates too. Need a timeline! Left Manchester for Sheffield in 83 and 25s finished soon after. The 124s must have been just about done by then too, because my TransPennine memories were pretty solidly 31/4s in those days? All good though.....!!

Dam , that's a long time ago. I think I've just seen the back of myself working on the 05 in the above video. Feeling very old now lol

As for the hoppers a saving jar is now on the shelf

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1