ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks everyone for the kind words on my videos. The positive feedback makes it worthwhile getting them digitised. You'll find them all under the 'ColinK's videos' thread. I've had to reduce the quality of all the videos posted to make the file sizes manageable, I've actually got them in HD on my computer.

I've sent three more cine reels off for digitising, think they may be of interest too, but they won't be back until October.

When I've got all the cine films done, I've got 25,000 slides to scan!

As for the brakevan on the rear of the class 20 hauled hopper train, I'm not sure why it was there. But I think the use of the 20s was short lived. Perhaps someone else can advise.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the videos Colin good to see some I.C.I. Hopper workings. And the blue 37 shunting those wagons at Peak Forest was fun proper rough shunting they certainly don't do that anymore!

As for the 20s with brakevans this seems to have been tied in with the use of pairs with the hoppers from the trials in 1982 through to their introduction from May 1984. The roadstone services to Portwood, Collyhurst street and Dean Lane all used brakevans due to the shunting moves at each terminal. But I've never heard why they used brakevans with the 20s. I would have to check my hopper photos to see if any other Northwich hoppers used brakevans around that type with 47s or pairs of 37s.

HTH Paul

Brilliant videos Colin. Thanks so much for posting them.

Just a quick question - I noticed that the 2 x 20 hauled ICI hopper train had a brake van on the rear. Was this a regular occurance at the time?

Yes..... if memory serves me right it wasn't uncommon in my 'yoof' The sweet spot for me seeing the train would be '76-'83. Invariably a 25. Very occasionally a 40. Almost always 18 hoppers? Any one else help me/correct me? We also regulalry saw the Soda Ash 16 tonners. ICI 'Mond Division' Normally 40 odd wagons and almost always a 40 on that!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've posted this video elsewhere, but have added it here as it includes trains of ICI stone hoppers at Peak Forest and Great Rocks Junction - fast forward to 5mins 30 seconds.

https://vimeo.com/227893834

Hi Colin,

Sorry to hijack the thread everyone, but superb quality fine Colin! What camera and film were you using? Super8?

Should give plenty of inspiration for the forthcoming hoppers!

Many thanks everyone for the kind words on my videos. The positive feedback makes it worthwhile getting them digitised. You'll find them all under the 'ColinK's videos' thread.

Just watched the first three on your Vimeo page (click on the 'v' on the video player for anyone that doesn't know. Wonderful nostalgia! I was 6!!!

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for your nice words Rich. The film was taken on a Super 8 sound cine camera. I'm amazed the film has lasted so long.

Given all the comments, I'm thinking of upgrading my Vimeo account so I can post future videos in HD.

• Like 1

A smashing video to watch after brekky.....It was unusual for cine photographers to take long shots of whole trains passing due to the cost of film. You have captured a 'lost' era that just preceded the arrival of affordable video camcorders in the late 1980's. Great material Colin and in an area I knew well as a stills photographer.

Hi,

I've posted this video elsewhere, but have added it here as it includes trains of ICI stone hoppers at Peak Forest and Great Rocks Junction - fast forward to 5mins 30 seconds.

ColinK

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to post this video.

Peterfgf

• Like 1

Yes..... if memory serves me right it wasn't uncommon in my 'yoof' The sweet spot for me seeing the train would be '76-'83. Invariably a 25. Very occasionally a 40. Almost always 18 hoppers? Any one else help me/correct me? We also regulalry saw the Soda Ash 16 tonners. ICI 'Mond Division' Normally 40 odd wagons and almost always a 40 on that!

Even when it had been agreed between BR and the Unions that guards could use the rear cab, Class 20s always had to have a brake-van, as the cabs weren't fitted with a valve to permit the guard to operate the train brakes independently of the loco brake.

Thanks for clarifying that cheers.

Paul

Even when it had been agreed between BR and the Unions that guards could use the rear cab, Class 20s always had to have a brake-van, as the cabs weren't fitted with a valve to permit the guard to operate the train brakes independently of the loco brake.

I had the chance to take a look at the ICI hoppers today at Hatton's. Some really nice detail to the wagons, especially the open chassis framing. They feel quite light but I'm assured they have run well through a variety of pointwork in testing.

Expected mid-2018.

ICIs_1.jpg

ICIs_2.jpg

ICIs_3.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Very nice..perhaps they can lend us the ones they have for use on Chapel en le Frith at STEAM, Leeds and Warley shows?

While they look great they have had a very long development period compared to some of the other Hattons wagons.

Baz

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Word on the streets is these may be arriving in 2019.. Is that true Hattons Dave please?

If it is we may just do our own and cancel our order. Not happy you can announce more new items when these seem to be on the slow road....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Word on the streets is these may be arriving in 2019.. Is that true Hattons Dave please?

If it is we may just do our own and cancel our order. Not happy you can announce more new items when these seem to be on the slow road....

Baz

Morning Barry,

Not sure where that has come from but I can assure you that these are still on target for a 2018 release.

The schedule for this project is running on a separate timeline to any of the others as it is with a different supplier.

Cheers,

Dave 

• RMweb Premium

Dave

thanks for that but 2018 is a long way off and we were hoping to have these by now. We are running 8 kit built ones but need 2 trains of 16 for our layout Chapel en le Frith (Members have pre-ordered a few of these from you).

post-7650-0-66341700-1505134543.jpg

We may have to seriously rethink how we, in the club, approach this

Baz

• Like 5

Morning Barry,

Not sure where that has come from but I can assure you that these are still on target for a 2018 release.

The schedule for this project is running on a separate timeline to any of the others as it is with a different supplier.

Cheers,

Dave 

mid 2018, that gives me time to get my credit card cleared. Might have to dream up a reason for a Tunstead to Black Country working..

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

As promised, here's some images showing the weathering masters for our ICI wagons.

As you can see, we have tried a few different styles of weathering on these particular models.

We'd be keen to hear your thoughts on the various styles and, as ever, welcome feedback.

Style 1:

post-28458-0-07380100-1505919343_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-10273900-1505919342_thumb.jpg

Style 2:

post-28458-0-83633000-1505919344_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-75371500-1505919343_thumb.jpg

Style 3:

post-28458-0-51575000-1505919533_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-94602800-1505919345_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-81792200-1505919347_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave