ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

I too have been pondering on the little known, never photographed and barely credible stone traffic that ran from from one of the quarries in the Dee Valley to John Sumners on Deeside...  :scratchhead:  :mail:

Yes  I  remember  those!! :no: 

• 1 month later...

It seems that some of the weathered versions are in stock as I have 2 of my 6 ordered, that have been dispatched.

Hoping that the later models are much more dirty, as per the samples.  Otherwise I won't be a happy bunny.  I note the ones in stock say light weathering.

Any chance of seeing a few recent samples of the weathering on the later versions, or at  least before the models leave China, so we can see what they are going to look like!

Regards,

C.

Hoping that the later models are much more dirty, as per the samples. Otherwise I won't be a happy bunny. I note the ones in stock say light weathering.

Any chance of seeing a few recent samples of the weathering on the later versions, or at least before the models leave China, so we can see what they are going to look like!

Regards,

C.

Pleased it's not just me then. They are nothing like the weathered samples in Dave's post on 7th Feb? Fingers crossed that the late ones will be similar to these.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

We have indeed received some of the weathered ICI wagons. These represent the lightly weathered end of the weathering spectrum, the heavily weathered versions are still to follow.

We also received a small number of a couple of previously released versions. These are in extremely limited quantities and are already selling quickly.

All available and forthcoming versions are still available to order on THIS page of our website.

post-28458-0-49361900-1528444896_thumb.jpg

Hoping that the later models are much more dirty, as per the samples.  Otherwise I won't be a happy bunny.  I note the ones in stock say light weathering.

Any chance of seeing a few recent samples of the weathering on the later versions, or at  least before the models leave China, so we can see what they are going to look like!

Regards,

C.

The remaining models will certainly be much more heavily weathered than this most recent batch and will reflect the previously shown sample.

We don't have any production samples to hand so I can't provide any updated photos beyond those of the weathering master.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Pleased it's not just me then. They are nothing like the weathered samples in Dave's post on 7th Feb? Fingers crossed that the late ones will be similar to these.

I do like the lightly weathered one 3254 from the early build batch, they represent the early live of them very well , not as the other later livery versions in the last days of their live, fully worned out.

Some diverences has to be, otherwhile it will be all the same. ;)

So just ordered 3254 to match the other 1936 build i have, and of topic together ordered  the SR B4  :) , so there is a nice package to come next week.

hopefully there will be more in future with other running numbers, as they all sell out fast, i think there will  :)

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1

We also received a small number of a couple of previously released versions. These are in extremely limited quantities and are already selling quickly.

Dave,

Many thanks for that plug. I missed a couple the first time around and would probably have missed them again if it hadn’t been for that. I have just ordered the missing pair.

• Like 1

I too was a little concerned when I saw the first two weathered "hoppers", very nicely done but not "the hoppers" I remember behind double headed 37s.

Much relieved when I noted "lightly weathered", and Hattons Dave's confirmation that the later one's will be "much more heavily weathered".

Forget weathered grey wagons, after a few decades in Peak District proper weather think track colour wagons.

Ian.

Morning all,

We have indeed received some of the weathered ICI wagons. These represent the lightly weathered end of the weathering spectrum, the heavily weathered versions are still to follow.

All available and forthcoming versions are still available to order on THIS page of our website.

attachicon.gifICIlightlyweatheredsteam.jpg

The remaining models will certainly be much more heavily weathered than this most recent batch and will reflect the previously shown sample.

We don't have any production samples to hand so I can't provide any updated photos beyond those of the weathering master.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for Confirming Dave, thought it may be the reason, hence inclusion of "Lightly Weathered".  Out of interest on the heavier weathered wagons, was it style "B" that was opted for in the end?  The weathering on the earlier samples did look very good!  Suppose all we need now is for a Class 37 to follow on the heels of the Class 66.....

Regards,

C.

Good evening all

What would be an appropriate brake van to run behind a set of these wagons and a 4F in the 1950's?

Thanks in advance.

J

Usually I have only ever seen LMS Brake Vans behind a rake of ICI Hoppers myself...

• RMweb Gold

Usually I have only ever seen LMS Brake Vans behind a rake of ICI Hoppers myself...

There is an archive cine clip in one of the B&R videos of a Southern brake van on one of these trains. It would be exceptional though for a GW brake to be on any train in the northwest they were disliked and shipped back ASAP!

Thanks for the prompt replies.

J

My two weathered versions arrived today Yodal and very nice they look too very light staining on body panels. The inside hopper still needs to be a lot browner I feel so scope there to tone down the off white colour.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Some sad news from Northwich: one of the last haunts of these wagons is being demolished - the avenue works is around 3/4 demolished, probably won't see the week out.

Richard.

Very sad. When I joined Mond Division in September 1969 as a trainee engineer my first placement was a few weeks at Avenue Workshop - the Works' engineer was a Mr Robin(?) Eastwood I think (it was a long time ago & I had no subsequent dealings with him).

After a couple of weeks I was going to Portmadoc (as it then was) for a w/e working party meeting up with friends from the FRS Bristol Group. Without a car my journey involved a train straight after work from Hartford (nr. Northwich) to Chester Northgate (still open then but only just), then bus to Caernarvon, & another bus to Portmadoc arriving c11.00pm.- just about the time the cars from Bristol would be arriving! When I got to my digs in Portmadoc I unpacked my duffel bag to find that some joker from Avenue Works had somehow crammed a substantial lump of cast iron into it! How they managed it still amazes me because I'd had trouble packing all my w/e stuff into in the first place! Quite unwittingly I'd humped this lump of CI across N Wales. Needless to say my Bristol friends found this very entertaining. Also needless to say the CI lump got left in Portmadoc.

Happy days (esp. the Portmadoc weekends)

Martin

• Like 1

Very sad. When I joined Mond Division in September 1969 as a trainee engineer my first placement was a few weeks at Avenue Workshop - the Works' engineer was a Mr Robin(?) Eastwood I think (it was a long time ago & I had no subsequent dealings with him).

After a couple of weeks I was going to Portmadoc (as it then was) for a w/e working party meeting up with friends from the FRS Bristol Group. Without a car my journey involved a train straight after work from Hartford (nr. Northwich) to Chester Northgate (still open then but only just), then bus to Caernarvon, & another bus to Portmadoc arriving c11.00pm.- just about the time the cars from Bristol would be arriving! When I got to my digs in Portmadoc I unpacked my duffel bag to find that some joker from Avenue Works had somehow crammed a substantial lump of cast iron into it! How they managed it still amazes me because I'd had trouble packing all my w/e stuff into in the first place! Quite unwittingly I'd humped this lump of CI across N Wales. Needless to say my Bristol friends found this very entertaining. Also needless to say the CI lump got left in Portmadoc.

Happy days (esp. the Portmadoc weekends)

Martin

Thanks for those memories. Did you get any photographs of the railway operation at ICI? I live in Northwich, so would be interested in seeing any material you have to hand?

Cheers for now.

Richard.

• Like 1

Thanks for those memories. Did you get any photographs of the railway operation at ICI? I live in Northwich, so would be interested in seeing any material you have to hand?

Cheers for now.

Richard.

Sorry Richard, I didn't. Post 1968 I didn't find the railway scene very interesting, Obviously with hindsight I should have paid more attention but at the time I didn't realise the interest in the ICI traffic that would arise in the future!

Martin

Sorry Richard, I didn't. Post 1968 I didn't find the railway scene very interesting, Obviously with hindsight I should have paid more attention but at the time I didn't realise the interest in the ICI traffic that would arise in the future!

Martin

Ah well, happy memories, I'm sure!

Richard.

• 1 month later...