ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

An excellent choice of model - I'm just surprised it's taken this long for someone to pick it up. I will be having a few having seen them many times in the 1980s.

There have been a few short run kits in the past, but they have never been widely available. I wasn't aware that Wild Boar Models were planning on doing one though....

This is what I like about Oxford Rail. They are being bold and thinking outside the box rather than looking at their competitors are doing more or less. An interesting wagon I look forward to getting several of for my layout. Having seen two of the preserved ones (19052 and 19129 on the SVR below), I find them to be domineering vehiches. Cannot wait to see them in OO...!!

7740969042_41c399d7b5_z.jpg

8016569786_d1b85a3324_z.jpg

• Like 8

Looks nice and like many other Hattons' commissions has lots of variants to choose from - I counted 20!  That's fantastic.

Evidently this is an exciting choice and looks like it will please a lot of people.

Here's a Hattons link to the model should someone want one.

May I be the first to say, just to get it off the table mind you, and purely in jest - "nothing there for me". ;)

It looks like a great choice and I hope Hatton's  / Oxford Rail is very successful with it.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Trouble may be if you order a rake of say 10 different models (which most who want a rake will), and they all arrive at Hattons on different days, you will incur 10 times minimum postage charges, unless you tick the "send them all together" box, then you risk loosing out if the earliest delivered are out of stock when the last one arrives. This has been mentioned before, I hope Hattons can look into this and reserve them when in stock till the last one arrives.

Nice wagon though. There is a book about them.http://paul3715.tripod.com/icibogie.htm

History of the wagons here. http://paul3715.tripod.com/hopper.htm

I used to like going to Peak Forest in the late 80's and watching these trains, and others. Brush 4's, Double headed 20's, 37's and once or twice a Peak class 44/45.

May get a small rake myself.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

Whilst I am most certainly interested in ordering a rake of these wagons, my knowledge surrounding these wagons isn't good. Since I model a layout in the Big Four era, would the ICI Hoppers with a mid grey body or battleship grey body be the apropriate ones...?

From what I remember, the Summers wagons would require completely different tooling, as the bodies are different, chassis ribs are different, end supports, lack of through braking and axles box differences too as well as different length buffers.

Just as easy to start from scratch (except CAD wise)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Nice  One  HATTONS!   I remember  these  well  they  used  to  pass  one  of  my  schoolls  I attended  for  a short  time  ( Royal  OAK  Baguley , Manchester)  very  frequently,  once  saw  one   Triple  steam  headed!

In the  latter  days  of  their  service  I remember seeing   an ICI Hopper  train  which  had  derailed early one  Sunday  near  Chapel el Le  Frith! / New Mills

THE date was  24 feb 1980  and   pics  are  online  somewhere, Google  ICI HOPPERS    New  Mills  and  scroll down  to  1980 etc

Edited by Stevelewis

I took them for granted for 30 years until the 1970s when at long last I bought a modern camera and started to revisit my old haunts, Chinley being one of them. I expect the models will go places the real ones never reached.

Edited by coachmann

From what I remember, the Summers wagons would require completely different tooling, as the bodies are different, chassis ribs are different, end supports, lack of through braking and axles box differences too as well as different length buffers.

Just as easy to start from scratch (except CAD wise)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

They are different but some of those differences are readily changed, buffers, bogies, brake pipe, so you could easily get something very close to a Summers wagon from the ICI type. If you wanted a rake of them, you might be prepared to sacrifice total accuraccy to save the time in building from scratch. You pays your money.....etc.

Are these the hoppers that used to work to Miles Platting in the 70s and 80s?

Kev.

.....yes they are Kev.

Remember that the ex Summers ones carried roadstone to Portwood, Dean Lane and Collyhurst St whilst the original and taller Tunstead based ones covered the Northwich/Oakleigh diagrams. The Portwood diagram conveyed a brakevan for the propelling move from Woodley, down the branch.

A modellable scene with these hoppers is on stone drops/over large bins....here is 45036 on the Collyhurst St drops

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43564631@N08/4271650913/in/set-72157622730543368

....it would appear that this consist contains both ex Summers hoppers and original Tunstead based hoppers (taller).

Loaded roadstone services normally ran via Chinley, New Mills Sth, Romiley, Guide Bridge, Ashburys and Phillips Park. Empty services could use the more direct Ashburys to Romiley route over Reddish Vale viaduct (barred to loaded services).  

In Dean Lane the wagons were moved by winch/capstan with a cable hooked over the end wagon drawhook whilst the BR loco stood to one side.

Roadstone services generally carried small grade limestone or dust (MOT) whereas the Northwich/Oakleigh services carried large clasts of limestone

Diversionary Sunday routes included via Buxton and the former LNWR route to Stockport, rev. and via Northenden. Also, via Chat Moss to Golborne/Winwick and on to Hartford CLC.

They were serviced at Tunstead (brakeblocks etc) to answer an earlier question. 

These services were banked out of Tunstead, as far as Peak Forest unless worked by 2x Cl 37 locos.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

As someone who lives a mile from the line where they used to run, I'll definitely be buying at least one

Ditto

But you could also see them on the LNW line up to Buxton - for example several on the Birkenhead-Buxton miixed goods - and with an 8F on front and a SuperD banking

post-21705-0-44359700-1427484247.jpg

this way you don't have to buy 15 :declare:

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

....do you have or know of any images of them being worked singly in mixed trains RAR? Block trains detaching defective hoppers at e.g. Northwich Lostock or Oakleigh would normally collect repaired hoppers on a later journey....I've not seen any pictures of them in mixed consists yet.

Dave

I wonder if these will split an old penny just like they did when I put them on the track coming home from school in Northwich.

My walk home took me over a pedestrian bridge from Winnington where lots of these were held on the line from the ICI at Winnington.

Long socks, shorts, cap, satchel and book and pencil......happy days.

Ok, so it was dangerous putting the pennies on the line but .........boys will be boys eh!

Edited by bgman
  • Like 3

Ditto

But you could also see them on the LNW line up to Buxton - for example several on the Birkenhead-Buxton miixed goods - and with an 8F on front and a SuperD banking

attachicon.gifBirkenhead - Buxton.jpg

this way you don't have to buy 15 :declare:

dh

Am I missing something here? Is there an ICI hopper or two in that train? Can't see them myself.

...nor me A. but have a look through the Wallace Sutherland site....I've had a link sent to me suggesting that there might be an image there.

http://sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/

Dave

Is there a delivery date given? Couldn't find it in the first post...

More 'vapourware'? I'd like to see the OxRail plank wagons and at least one of the GWR steamers out before they announce more stuff.

Over on the Heljan threads, people are asking for more wagons. Get all those already announced products done and dusted please... Or least show some advanced progress: 1366, LNER steamer, GWR steamer, O gauge Warship, Cargowaggons etc.

Hoppers aside, that is a fantastic link, several hours worth of browsing there. Thanks for that Dave.

....there are some lovely images around Buxton of the 25/0s in the early 70s....my original reason for going through just about all of his superb images but I cannot recall the suggested mixed consist with the ICI hoppers....deffo the sort of picture which I would have locked on to if I noticed it.

I found the early Trafford Park container services fascinating too.

Dave

• Like 2

Is there a delivery date given? Couldn't find it in the first post...

More 'vapourware'? I'd like to see the OxRail plank wagons and at least one of the GWR steamers out before they announce more stuff.

Over on the Heljan threads, people are asking for more wagons. Get all those already announced products done and dusted please... Or least show some advanced progress: 1366, LNER steamer, GWR steamer, O gauge Warship, Cargowaggons etc.

L&B  00-9  2-6-2T!!  (although someone in the know did say not  to expect it for  a few months+ yet)

Edited by Stevelewis