"DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND" of cardboard

Hi Mirek

This was a fantastic topic to come across in the card structure thread!  Your work is absolutely beautiful, and I have just spent the last hour admiring your construction photos on the link you provided.  Please do continue to post your progress with other builds here, it will be an inspiration to many.

Cheers

Phil

G'day Mirmic, these are pretty much the best models I've ever seen of anything anytime! To think they are made out of card just makes them unbelievably brilliant..

Just a quick question - are the larger elements  painted after building or do you print them out in colour - I'm thinking about the red of the Duchess and the green body of the above tender for example.

If so do you use gloss  photopaper for those parts?

Just a quick question - are the larger elements  painted after building or do you print them out in colour - I'm thinking about the red of the Duchess and the green body of the above tender for example.

If so do you use gloss  photopaper for those parts?

Hi,

generally I prefer painting because paint protect paper. In Duchess  red elements were printed on glossy photopaper. Tender of 241P is printed in color on standard cardboard 180 g/sqm but will be completely painted. Working with photopaper is difficult and later on printed surface are visible changes.

I would just like to add my belated thanks to Mirek for letting me see these very fine models.

Truly magnificent modelling skills.

I assume these are kits that are available in Poland? Card modelling in general has never really taken off in this country and I do recall raiding a model shop in Crystal Palace many years ago for advertised surplus card kits. My memory is that one of them was a oil tanker in ship form and must have been about three feet long when finished. I gave it away to a neighbouring business office as they were into supplying valves to the oil industry.

I have always enjoyed card modelling and Scalescenes products figured large on Readstoke before I dismantled it.

Strangely I would have thought that a renaissance of card modelling of this type would be quite easy to organise in this modern digital age.

I would just like to add my belated thanks to Mirek for letting me see these very fine models.

Truly magnificent modelling skills.

I assume these are kits that are available in Poland? Card modelling in general has never really taken off in this country and I do recall raiding a model shop in Crystal Palace many years ago for advertised surplus card kits. My memory is that one of them was a oil tanker in ship form and must have been about three feet long when finished. I gave it away to a neighbouring business office as they were into supplying valves to the oil industry.

I have always enjoyed card modelling and Scalescenes products figured large on Readstoke before I dismantled it.

Strangely I would have thought that a renaissance of card modelling of this type would be quite easy to organise in this modern digital age.

Pretty sure they ain't kits David! if you go to the link in the first post on this page, about half-way down someone asks this question and Mirmic replies two posts later. I am just lost for words.

Ed

Hi,

Mirmic, you are honestly one of the most impressive modellers I have ever come across.

I'm finding it hard to put into words how wonderful your models are.

What you have made with card & paper is simply wonderful.

Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us.

Wow!

Rob

Hello Dear All,

I don't know what to say. I didn't expected as many warm words. Models of cardboard are only static ones. In Poland is many good modelers who build really nice replicas of card.

Maybe would be interested for you another my models of polish engines. For that I think will be better to open new topic?

Horsetan: during II WW Germany taken some French loco's 241A and 241P I thing you said about them.

ColinK: in the near future I do not plan to visit GB then I think it would be difficult to show them there. 

Because of material used for my locos would be very easy receive smoke,  needs only heating element  :mosking:. Unfortunately it would be possible only one time.

dwhite4dcc: both showed by me engines were work out by me but there is possible buy many another card models for example here: http://sklep.gpm.pl/modele-kartonowe

Regards

Mirek

Edited by Mirmic

Pretty sure they ain't kits David! if you go to the link in the first post on this page, about half-way down someone asks this question and Mirmic replies two posts later. I am just lost for words.

Ed

I followed the link and a long way down the page it appears that the design of each part is done by Mirmic and printed out for cutting.

It is almost beyond belief and totally mesmerising.

There's a thread elsewhere on here wants to know how many modelers never built a Superquick kit. I'm guessing here, but I bet Mirek didn't.

Unbelievably skillful modeling in a medium that I doubt most of us would think of using for this purpose.

Hello,
in the last time, because of nice weather progress of work wasn't too big
Still I have built tender, breaking system and equip area of fireman.
How it looks you can see below. Fortunately process of riveting was finish. I'm not so happy of this. I need work out better sticking, more linear putting rivets on body.

post-25893-0-42303100-1429720775_thumb.jpgpost-25893-0-13019600-1429720784_thumb.jpgpost-25893-0-49024000-1429720809_thumb.jpgpost-25893-0-64031400-1429720810_thumb.jpgpost-25893-0-53341000-1429720822_thumb.jpg

post-25893-0-86117900-1429720798_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hello Dear All,
I don't know what to say. I didn't expected as many warm words. Models of cardboard are only static ones. In Poland is many good modelers who build really nice replicas of card.
Maybe would be interested for you another my models of polish engines. For that I think will be better to open new topic?

Horsetan: during II WW Germany taken some French loco's 241A and 241P I thing you said about them.
ColinK: in the near future I do not plan to visit GB then I think it would be difficult to show them there. 
Because of material used for my locos would be very easy receive smoke,  needs only heating element  :mosking:. Unfortunately it would be possible only one time.
dwhite4dcc: both showed by me engines were work out by me but there is possible buy many another card models for example here: http://sklep.gpm.pl/modele-kartonowe

Regards

Mirek

Evening Mirek. Yup .... how about an OL49. I believe there is a very good Polish metal kit for this. Can you find someone that might have built one of these?

I also think there is a card model available for a PT47? I think I had one of these after visiting Wolsztyn but it is now lost! 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Evening Mirek. Yup .... how about an OL49. I believe there is a very good Polish metal kit for this. Can you find someone that might have built one of these?

I also think there is a card model available for a PT47? I think I had one of these after visiting Wolsztyn but it is now lost! 

Phil

Hi Phil,

regarding PT47 card kit you can find here: http://www.answer.pl/pl/kolej/1441-parowoz-pt-47.html  regarding metal loco OL49 it is possible reach her here: http://www.tololoko.pl/katalog-kolejowy/11.html

hope it is helpfull for you. If you need another information, ask.

cheers

Mirek

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

regarding PT47 card kit you can find here: http://www.answer.pl/pl/kolej/1441-parowoz-pt-47.html  regarding metal loco OL49 it is possible reach her here: http://www.tololoko.pl/katalog-kolejowy/11.html

hope it is helpfull for you. If you need another information, ask.

cheers

Mirek

Thank you Mirek. 

I seem to remember it was about £800 to get a OL49 built! I couldn't do it I'm afraid.

Thank you for the links.

Do you get to the Wolsztyn May Day Parade?

Phil