4mm Engines & Drive Parts

Pete Harvey

Hi I have Just added a new model for 3D Printing for those that have a Depot Layout it should give an interesting feature.

The print should cost £20 with the Exchange Rate but that does not include postage.

The engine is of the type that would be used in a Class 47/48

post-6665-0-51859600-1427748936_thumb.jpg

post-6665-0-23621300-1427748940_thumb.jpg

Pete

Edited by Pete Harvey
  • Like 5

Most people wouldnt know the difference between the 2 types, for me it looks fine and gives the idea. It would look good on a depot layout either in a part stripped shell or sat on a flat wagon or trestles. Once weathered and positioned where you want it, it will look great. Next would you do a 37 engine if poss, then I'll have to hunt down some cheap old Lima chassis/boby donars.

Great idea Pete. I think it would look great on a TMD layout (including my Haymarket to be!).

To be honest, I wouldn't know the difference between a 47 and a 48 engine, but out of interest, why did you choose the 48?

Edit: How about a pack of traction motors too? I've seen photos of them lying around outside at Haymarket, part-covered by a tarpaulin.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

I would be happy to look at other engines and traction motors if modelers want them?

The book I have that has the drawing of the engine in it (Author O.S.Nock) references the engine and being used in the 47 and does not mention the 48 but some one I showed it to said "why have you done an engine for a 48" that's why it says "4mm Sulzer Class 47/48 Engine" but they are basically the same engine as far as I can find out just with a few more bits on the top & as I have said in the corner of a Depot or under a mucky tarp who will be that bothered, as it fits in with the location.

Pete 

• Like 1

Well, the differences between the two engines wouldn't bother me for one, Pete.

I hope Steve-e doesn't mind me posting this here as it's his photo, but this is the scene I was thinking of, and a few traction motors would fit the bill perfectly here...

post-7247-0-47392400-1427817204.jpg

Cheers

Dave

but they are basically the same engine as far as I can find out just with a few more bits on the top

Pete 

Unfortunately not, the Class 48 engine is a V12, but the 47 is a double bank in line - basically two six cylinder engines side by side each driving a seperate crankshaft. What this means visually is that on a class 47 engine, all the cylinder heads/block etc are completly vertical, rather than angled towards the the center as on the class 48, and the crankcase at the bottom is much wider due to having two crankshafts inside.

pic47402-oh3.jpg

However there were plenty of other locos with V12 engines, so as said previously if sat outside a depot or something it would still look the part... Come to think of it I am building a small Diesel depot on my layout.... could well be interested!!!

• RMweb Gold

That is one cracking model!

Did depots have the cranes to cope with anything other than a Lightweight Maybach or MAN at Laira and OOC? Was changing a Sulzer a main works job? Toton may have done perhaps....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

That is one cracking model!

Did depots have the cranes to cope with anything other than a Lightweight Maybach or MAN at Laira and OOC? Was changing a Sulzer a main works job? Toton may have done perhaps....

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

With the modernisation only the WR installed cranes for lifting engines at depot level, for their diesel-hydraulic locos. Sending the engine on to Swindon for repair. All other regions shipped the loco off to works for engine replacements. About the time of sectorisation of the railways then some large sheds became level 5 and were expected to do things like engine swaps using their breakdown crane as they did not have overhead cranes capable of doing so. It is very unlikely that a spare engine would be hanging about in a loco shed.

No idea of what they do today.

Back to the engine model, I agree with Ian (Titan) it is a 12LVA24 as fitted to the Class 48s D1702 to D1706, all were re-engined in the early 70s.

“Class 47 Diesels” by Tayler, Thorley and Hill (Ian Allan, ISBN 0-7110-0915-5) has cut away drawings of the loco showing the engine. The same drawings appear in “Sulzer Diesel Locomotives Of British Rail” by Brian Webb (David and Charles, ISBN 0-7153-7514-8 ) has the same drawings but slightly smaller. “BR Equipment” by David Gibbons (Ian Allan ISBN 0-7110-1609-7) cut away drawings showing the engine.

The 12LVA24 was also installed in the Cuban Brush 4s.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

One depot (can't remember which now) had a spare 16SVT and was expecting to get D200 to refurb when she was re-instated, but the job went elsewhere (again can't remember!), so engines were kicking about.....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

One depot (can't remember which now) had a spare 16SVT and was expecting to get D200 to refurb when she was re-instated, but the job went elsewhere (again can't remember!), so engines were kicking about.....

Andy G

D200 was restored at Toton. Was it the need for an engine/and or generator change and the facilities there that forced the work to a depot that didn't usually handle the class?

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Clive

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Phil, That means I think Thornton (or somewhere like that) had an engine-genny combo spare, and were hoping to get the job. From memory D200 needed both an engine and bogie change, and that was the reason Toton got the job. Mind you the engine that was put in was not a fresh one like that at Thornton, but a used one from 40006 (?), which also gave up its bogies....

Andy G