London Road Models 50ft Cowan Sheldon turntable 4mm kit

Jol Wilkinson

50’ Cowan Sheldon turntable 4mm kit.

These were used by many pre-group railway companies, who provided the turntable well using locally sourced material and minor components such as deck planking, rails, handrails and supports. The turntable kit, well and detailing parts are available separately to enable the modeller to build the finished turntable to represent a particular prototype.

This new turntable kit is etched in N/S and includes a new “floating” drive system, carrying wheels, centre bearings, wire, etc.  and is priced at £45.00. Handrails and supports varied considerably. Some used ball headed stanchions carrying one or two handrails. These have been produced as finely turned brass components in packs of twelve, priced at £6.50 for the single and £8.50 for the double type.

The vacuum formed well, which can be detailed with embossed plastic sheet to represent brick or stone construction is available together with preformed bullhead rail and chairs at £22.00.

London Road Models products can be found at  www.londonroadmodels.co.uk

and  can be contacted by email at lrmenquiries@hotmail.co.uk. or by post at  P.O. Box 643, Watford. WD2 5ZJ

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 3

Sorry, I don't have any photos. I have simply posted this information for the proprietor of LRM who is busy getting ready for the York MRS. I don't know if he has any plans for larger turntables yet.

I've attached a couple of photos of the LRM 42' Cowan Sheldon from the LRM kit. The well will be very similar and while the new 50' turntable has some differences, it would look pretty much the same.

post-1191-0-87634000-1427960971_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-47816500-1427960827.jpg

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some new photos for the 50' Cowan Sheldon turntable.

post-1191-0-32528900-1430040891_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-15025500-1430040472_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-22981900-1430040962_thumb.jpg

John Redrup, LRM's proprietor, has advised that the first batch of kits sold out very quickly but they should be available again shortly.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm currently in the process of using one of these on my Ilkley layout topic. The kit goes together very well, but I'm currently trying to work out the best method to represent the circular brick pattern on the well floor.

Has anyone else tackled this yet, or have any ideas?

Computer punch card waste (a.k.a chads)?  I've got loads.

post-118-0-31392100-1457354656.jpg

post-118-0-85305500-1457354655_thumb.jpg

Laser cut (etched) card might be a less mentally tortuous route and what I'm planning to help Robin with on Barrow Road.  Shed floor and turntable pit.

Morgan

Edited by 45609
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Computer punch card waste (a.k.a chads)?  I've got loads.

attachicon.gifTurntable_under_construction.jpg

attachicon.gifTurntable_finished.jpg

Laser cut (etched) card might be a less mentally tortuous route and what I'm planning to help Robin with on Barrow Road.  Shed floor and turntable pit.

Morgan

The way to cut the brick patterns would be to use more than one surface coat. on the base.. ie a fairly thick, cement colour variation first, over which one puts a brick variation coat, (or coats)  then use the laser to cut the cement pattern .  In doing so, it removes the top coat, revealing the cement pattern... and leaves brick shapes that will follow correctly...    if one makes a pure black and white graphic ( 2 Bit )  where the cement is black and the bricks are white, the black is cut  and the white is left behind,,, 

one could use etch on the laser but etching is point removal  ie dots... a diffusion like a newspaper print -  its not the same as a cut..

one would need a top and base coat that are low carbon content or wont carbonise,, since otherwise the paint will go black..   one would need some experimentation to get the coating levels right and the paint type correct.. and the laser power.. and speed..   

it then comes down to setting the laser power and speed so that it just burns off the top coat..  and leaves the base coat behind,,,

Another option is to cut the cement pattern deep in the substrate - like mdf, using the laser, and without moving it.. fill it with a cement color, to the surface...  let it dry... then do the same for the bricks... and fill those... let that dry  then remove from the laser -  remove the surface enough by sanding  -  to reveal the two filled pattern...   its tricky because while on the laser base the substtrate must not move at all... 

but in honesty i think printing a surface on the right substrate and fixing that in place would be easier...   an option might be to pre coat a paper surface with the cement pattern and then just print the brickwork on it.. ?

Edited by InconyBlue

• 1 year later...

Im on the lookout for info of the 50ft turntable at Walton CLC depot which I am modelling, but am yet to find a photo or info regarding what type was there, if it turns out to be this type I will buy one of these. It looks very nice.

Ive decided to order one after recently discovering a shot of the prototype which looks to be the same.

Looking forward to putting it together.

Mike

Let's keep pestering John as he might just do the business. . . .

Metalsmiths or Midland Railway Centre has been advertising one for many years without ever getting to releasing it - despite advising that they have test etches awaiting build to prove the product.  I even offered to attempt the trial build!

Stan

Stan,

I believe LRM are developing a 60' turntable kit but don't have any plans for a 70' version yet.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Let's keep pestering John as he might just do the business. . . .

Metalsmiths or Midland Railway Centre has been advertising one for many years without ever getting to releasing it - despite advising that they have test etches awaiting build to prove the product.  I even offered to attempt the trial build!

Stan

Agreed - I'd buy a 70ft table.....

Agreed - I'd buy a 70ft table.....

Which is all somewhat academic as LRM are most unlikely to produce it.  Nothing pre-grouping needs 70 ft. 

edit....WHich may be too sweeping as MRC do offer a 70' pre grouping. http://www.midrailcentre.com/4mm-scale-00-em-p4#anchor  Note that web page may be a couple of years out of date.

Edited by Crantock

Which is all somewhat academic as LRM are most unlikely to produce it.  Nothing pre-grouping needs 70 ft. 

edit....WHich may be too sweeping as MRC do offer a 70' pre grouping. http://www.midrailcentre.com/4mm-scale-00-em-p4#anchor  Note that web page may be a couple of years out of date.

Follow your own link and you will find with regard to the C&S 70ft TT:

"Kit still under development.  Release date and prices to be announced. "

which is what I reported in my earlier post.

Stan

Yes but look higher up and there is a pre-grouping 70' - I was correcting myself that there was no PG need for a 70'. 

It would be nice to have a quality 70' but I suspect that is sufficiently mass market someone could do in plastic.

Follow your own link and you will find with regard to the C&S 70ft TT:

"Kit still under development.  Release date and prices to be announced. "

which is what I reported in my earlier post.

Stan

An update following a conversation at the Portsmouth show.

The London Road Models 60' C&S turntable is at test etch stage. The design has been developed by Phil Atkinson of Hobby Holidays from the 50 ' turntable artwork as the the 60' TT was a development of the smaller one (the kit was produced using AutoCad, with which Phil is familiar). The test etches have gone to a modeller who is keen to have one on the layout he is building and volunteered to build it but seems to be taking rather a long time.

There are no plans for a 70' version.

An update following a conversation at the Portsmouth show.

The London Road Models 60' C&S turntable is at test etch stage. The design has been developed by Phil Atkinson of Hobby Holidays from the 50 ' turntable artwork as the the 60' TT was a development of the smaller one (the kit was produced using AutoCad, with which Phil is familiar). The test etches have gone to a modeller who is keen to have one on the layout he is building and volunteered to build it but seems to be taking rather a long time.

There are no plans for a 70' version.

Hi Jol, Just to clarify. The Cowans Sheldon 60' turntable is for my Bristol Barrow Road layout - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/116-barrowroads-blog/ - and I provided John with a set of Cowan Sheldon drawings which I obtained from Carlisle Records Office about 2 years ago. I had asked John if he would be interested in doing a 60ft turntable and he agreed if I would provide suitable drawings.. John provided me with a set of test etches for the turntable earlier this year just after I had started wiring my Barrow Road layout. Unfortunately this is taking a lot of my time - see blog - but the turntable test build is the next job on my list.

Robin

Hi Jol, Just to clarify. The Cowans Sheldon 60' turntable is for my Bristol Barrow Road layout - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/116-barrowroads-blog/ - and I provided John with a set of Cowan Sheldon drawings which I obtained from Carlisle Records Office about 2 years ago. I had asked John if he would be interested in doing a 60ft turntable and he agreed if I would provide suitable drawings.. John provided me with a set of test etches for the turntable earlier this year just after I had started wiring my Barrow Road layout. Unfortunately this is taking a lot of my time - see blog - but the turntable test build is the next job on my list.

Robin

I had a sneaking suspicion that you might be prompted to reply to this thread Robin!!!

Robin

Hi Robin,

I knew you had the test etches but didn't want to mention your name, lest it caused any discord.

Once people are aware of new developments , it is good to be able to answer enquiries with some positive news about progress. Quite a few modellers don't understand the timescale and processes involved in geting a kit into production, so get a bit frustrated.

Jol

You don't. It is a 60ft turntable.

Thanks for that... I did wonder if that might be so !  Many years ago I was involved with the Strathspey Railway's project to recover the  60' turntable from Kyle of Lochalsh for use at Aviemore, and when it was installed LMS Black 5 No.5025 fitted the turntable but with not a lot to spare.

I'm interested in the LRM 50' table because I think that's what I need for "Newton Duns", but fitted with extended rails - ref post #243 at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46665-the-waverley-routes-cathedrals-of-power/page-10

Alasdair

• 3 weeks later...

Installing the base. Should it have a cut out in the wall?

attachicon.gif71B4E952-421F-4CC9-94A4-ACD4F49F252F.jpeg

Despite my previous form in this area (ref post #23) I wouldn't claim to be an expert - but IIRC the Kyle and Avie 60' pits had recesses (as shown in 45609's pic at post #7) to enable access to the table ends, presumably to enable maintenance of the locking bolt mechanism.

Alasdair