BRM May 2015

Tase

Just downloaded the May edition, early?...looks a cracker again this month!

London Road and Elvedon Road TMD particularly appeal to me together with a write up from James Makin about the building of his fantastic BP petrol station.

• Moderators

Just downloaded the May edition, early?...looks a cracker again this month!

London Road and Elvedon Road TMD particularly appeal to me together with a write up from James Makin about the building of his fantastic BP petrol station.

Hello Tase,

Yes it has gone out early by a couple of hours (by accident admittedly...as it wasn't ready). Had a few problems with the Magcloner website yesterday...speed being just one of them.

I've had it taken off sale for the moment, so the correct version will go live today at 12.00.

Best,

Howard

(Edit - So, feel free to read the version you have, but for one that works properly, you'll need to delete the issue and re-download. Sorry for the inconvenience)

• RMweb Gold

Great mag as usual, but I fear that Tail Lamp has taken a turn for the worse. The first issues of this column were thought provoking, but this month it seems to be holding the big two manufacturers to different standards. Bachmann are praised and respected for the accuracy of their catalogue, whilst Hornby are criticised for some video and website content errors. Surely these are different marketing approaches - do Bachmann even use YT videos to promote their products? I think not.

In fact the writer makes an error himself in referring to the title of Hornby's video as the Jumper; it is actually called The Train Hopper. Yes it is a BR numbered LNER design suburban coach with the LNER J15, but Tail Lamp implies it is a BR designed coach it is paired with. The whole thing is in black and white anyway. I can't find the images of the Arnold Brighton Belle that TL criticises on Hornsby's website, but there are plenty of photos available of a correctly formed five car set.

If TL was to comment on the number of inaccuracies in a typical Hornby catalogue he may have a point, but the examples used just seem churlish and reveal a pre-existing bias to my mind.

I know it is an opinion piece but some balance would not go amiss. Perhaps instead Hornby should be praised for using YT videos, where its competitor does not?

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to share your thoughts with us folks. Hope you'll like this month's video too.

I can't get the video to play.  Either on the PC via PocketMags (and btw, the Silverlight player is no longer supported by Chrome), or on my iPad.  Clicking the play button does nothing at all.  Never had a problem with this before.

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Hello,

Have you tried the 'restore purchases' button yet? It seems to have resolved a number of problems for other people (sound and/ or video). Worth a try.

Best,

Howard

That worked.  Thanks

Mal

• RMweb Gold

Great mag as usual, but I fear that Tail Lamp has taken a turn for the worse. The first issues of this column were thought provoking, but this month it seems to be holding the big two manufacturers to different standards. Bachmann are praised and respected for the accuracy of their catalogue, whilst Hornby are criticised for some video and website content errors. Surely these are different marketing approaches - do Bachmann even use YT videos to promote their products? I think not.

In fact the writer makes an error himself in referring to the title of Hornby's video as the Jumper; it is actually called The Train Hopper. Yes it is a BR numbered LNER design suburban coach with the LNER J15, but Tail Lamp implies it is a BR designed coach it is paired with. The whole thing is in black and white anyway. I can't find the images of the Arnold Brighton Belle that TL criticises on Hornsby's website, but there are plenty of photos available of a correctly formed five car set.

If TL was to comment on the number of inaccuracies in a typical Hornby catalogue he may have a point, but the examples used just seem churlish and reveal a pre-existing bias to my mind.

I know it is an opinion piece but some balance would not go amiss. Perhaps instead Hornby should be praised for using YT videos, where its competitor does not?

Have to agree, and I feel it is so biased it reflects badly on Bachmann (and the BRM team)

Wife wondered what I was laughing at when I read that Hornbys announcement of the Merchant Navy for 2016 was 'premature' (so in the shops in less than 2 years). There have been Bachmann announcements at the research stage longer than that. (I don't mean that as a criticisim of Bachmann as they have explained the situation)

My opinion is that if someone is going to write such a biased piece (to put it kindly!) in a magazine they should not do so from a position of anonymity.

Interesting picture in the Hornby Catalogue featuring the Crosti 9f.

Many people seem to think that there is an error, as there is "smoke" coming out of the smokebox-mounted single chimney.

"Everybody knows" that the Crosti chimney is on the Fireman's side, half way down the bolier

But, it seems to be not so common knowlege that the smokebox chimney WAS used for lighting up the loco!

As the picture seems to show a "shed" enviroment, not an error at all!

Don't buy this regularly but did so today and have to agree with those who criticise Tail Lamp. Not read such biased and unrealistic piece for some time and to be fair it really does reflect badly on Bachmann as it is so biased. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived