dcc concepts legacy Stainless Steel Rail

Does anybody have any comments on the new Stainless steel rail from DCC Concept. Do we have an issue with electrical pick as SS does not conduct electricity as good as nickel silver? Can we overcome the pick up issue with more droppers?

Does it actually require much less cleaning as stated by DCC Concept? Has anybody used the new SS.

Regards

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised that someone has thought it a good idea to make stainless steel rail.

As OP mentions, conductivity is less good.

Also, when a G scale track was produced some years ago with s/s rail, users said that tyres on loco wheels were wearing far more quickly.

I don't believe conductivity is an issue with stainless steel rail as the difference ought to be negligible. What would concern me is the difficulty of making a reliable electrical connection, especially as you cannot solder the stuff.

• 2 months later...

*** Just to respond to the comments so far. (EVen the test run was 10,000 metres of rail to prove the tools... do you really think we'd invest so much without making sure its all good in every way??/)

* You will not notice the difference in conductivity.

* The stainess steel is 3-series and of high quality. It isn't possible to use lower quality as work hardening would prevent it being roleld properly.

* It solders well with our No-clean flux and any solder containing a little silver. All you need do is use a 50W Iron or more and turn the soldering station up to max heat. A micro torch also works well, as does silver solder. NO NEED for the aggressive Carrs Brown... you could also use plain old powerflow if the Iron is man enough.

* The much on Nickel silver rail is copper oxide - or more than 95% of it is. We had it analysed by a University lab. NS oxide = copper oxide, a core material in the making of resistors!

* NO it isn't magnetic - the magnetic grades of SS corrode/rust unfortunately

SS looks like steel but does not rust... and does not corrode or "Yellow". It is a pain to roll (needing double the rollers that NS does but we feel it was wirth the expense and difficulty because it solves THREE problems of NS rail all at once.

* Oxidisation / pickup loss.

* It isnt sliopery so locos pull more

* It looks like Steel and NS doesn't

ALSO - it custs with normal rail cutters and is really as easy to work and solder as other rail.

----------------------------

*** How do you like the Phosphor Bronze fishplates?? I am pleased with them :-)

http://www.dccconcepts.com/track-trackmaking-parts/dccconcepts-track-and-trackmaking-parts/rail-joiners-bullhead-4mm-scale-phosphor-bronze-25-pack

regards

Richard

Edited by Richard Johnson
  • Like 2

*** How do you like the Phosphor Bronze fishplates?? I am pleased with them :-)

Look nice in the pics, but why 6 bolt heads?  Fishplates for UK Bullhead track are almost always 4 bolt (some use was made of short 2 bolt plates). Generally 6 bolt fishplates are used on modern Flatbottom track and are longer.

Regards

Keith

*** True, but there is also a balance of pragmatism and logic in the choice.... just as selecting one of the common chair styles will eventually/soon be.

With commercial reality at the fore, choices are needed as covering variants is not always possible. It was just my choice... a little like choosing a warm glow for gas lamps was because faulty modeller memory assigns that attribute to them, perhaps thanks to movies etc... when to be realistic they should have been a harsh greenish-white.

* Yes, 4 bolt was more common but 6 bolts do exist - more commonly on point-work - which is where I think that they will be noticed far more... As much as we can argue over them, few really see the details in plain track. 

* Reality says that the vast majority of buyers of this item may well be laying bullhead track but their real life experience is almost wholly in the FB era and all they know is 6 bolt plates... so to most they will be as they expect... and to most observers of their efforts, they will either not even be noticed or will be seen as "right" too :-). 

* the use of 3 bolt allowed me to prove the possibility and allows me to re-use that part of the tooling for the FB versions that will also come... as I think existing mass market FB fishplates are less than good - another pragmatic reason... (That is important when an item already has high creative costs and its also worth remembering that this is a much finer item than others in material and in reality there are NO other practical fishplates with bolt detail)

Richard

• Like 1

*** Just to respond to the comments so far. (EVen the test run was 10,000 metres of rail to prove the tools... do you really think we'd invest so much without making sure its all good in every way??/)

I have already made stainless pre-formed crossings. But what do you use to file point blades? My machining experts advice and my own experience suggest that one needs to use carbide tools on stainless.

Andy

*** True, but there is also a balance of pragmatism and logic in the choice....  [...]

* Yes, 4 bolt was more common but 6 bolts do exist - more commonly on point-work - which is where I think that they will be noticed far more... As much as we can argue over them, few really see the details in plain track. 

* Reality says that the vast majority of buyers of this item may well be laying bullhead track but their real life experience is almost wholly in the FB era and all they know is 6 bolt plates... so to most they will be as they expect... and to most observers of their efforts, they will either not even be noticed or will be seen as "right" too :-). 

I read this last week, and as luck would have it was travelling from Newcastle (East Coast mainline) to Loughborough (Midland main line) by train, via Newark (on the cross-country line to Nottingham). I looked out for bolt numbers and bar a couple of places where I noticed them on the main running lines (which is what I assume you mean by FB era trackwork), the only 6-bolt plates I saw were consistently at the toe end of turnouts, but even in turnout use most were 4-bolt plates. The overwhelming majority of joins away from turnouts, using FB rail (and bullhead in sidings and on the Great Central), were 4-bolt.

(As everyone reading this already knows, I'm sure - but I wanted to check again for myself.)

I like the product idea, but I reckon you're opening up a can of worms saying that most observers/users of the product will be ignorant that they're incorrect or won't notice the difference.

I have started a crusade recently to encourage 4mm code 75 NS rail suppliers known to me ( C&L, EMGS, S4Socy) to get their common supplier to replace the rollers/die or whatever forms the section. Stock sold in recent several years has the wrong head profile and looks like well-worn rail. I suspect, but have not proved, that it reduces running reliability too since the wheel coning and rounded rail head gauge corner act as two parts of a system.

I wonder if DCC Concepts' stainless steel rail has the correct section??

If so I will buy some and give it a try.

• RMweb Gold

Although stainless steel can be soldered, it is a pain, and requires an aggressive flux which needs cleaning off afterwards. OK for a physical fixing, but totally unsuitable for electrical connections. Electrical connections to stainless steel should be clipped or crimped.

Martin.

I read this last week, and as luck would have it was travelling from Newcastle (East Coast mainline) to Loughborough (Midland main line) by train, via Newark (on the cross-country line to Nottingham). I looked out for bolt numbers and bar a couple of places where I noticed them on the main running lines (which is what I assume you mean by FB era trackwork), the only 6-bolt plates I saw were consistently at the toe end of turnouts, but even in turnout use most were 4-bolt plates. The overwhelming majority of joins away from turnouts, using FB rail (and bullhead in sidings and on the Great Central), were 4-bolt.

(As everyone reading this already knows, I'm sure - but I wanted to check again for myself.)

I like the product idea, but I reckon you're opening up a can of worms saying that most observers/users of the product will be ignorant that they're incorrect or won't notice the difference.

6 bolt ones will be Edilons which are insulated for track circuits and as such would be found near points. Normally a 4 bolt one is used to joint rail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

6-bolt fishplates can't be used with bullhead rail because they would force the timbers too far apart to properly support the joint. Unlike flat-bottom, bullhead fishplates must fit between the chairs and keys, not over the top of the baseplates. That's why 2-bolt fishplates were sometimes used -- to get the timbers closer to the joint. For normal bullhead track, 4-bolt fishplates with adjacent timbers at 24" or 25" centres are near universal.

Martin.

You can't tell the length from the pictures, if the 4 central bolts are correctly spaced then it would be possible (although not very practical and hardly acceptable for a premium product) to cut the ends off.

I had initially assumed they were 4 bolt length with an extra bolt in between, looking again they do look a bit longer than a 4 bolt should be (a picture against a ruler would help) which as Martin says would prevent them fitting between the chairs at the joints.

Regards

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

The bolt spacing is wrong for British Bullhead even if you trimmed the plates down to four holes, also the traditional bolt used was pan, pear square so one side of the rail should have round bolt heads and the other usually the outside square nuts. There was some use of three hole plates for which half of one of these plates would work, but they were I believe rather rare.

I have started a crusade recently to encourage 4mm code 75 NS rail suppliers known to me ( C&L, EMGS, S4Socy) to get their common supplier to replace the rollers/die or whatever forms the section. Stock sold in recent several years has the wrong head profile and looks like well-worn rail. I suspect, but have not proved, that it reduces running reliability too since the wheel coning and rounded rail head gauge corner act as two parts of a system.

I wonder if DCC Concepts' stainless steel rail has the correct section??

If so I will buy some and give it a try.

I did email DCC Concepts asking about the rail profile and after 2.5 weeks.....no response. Perhaps they are on holiday or don't know the answer.

I did email DCC Concepts asking about the rail profile and after 2.5 weeks.....no response. Perhaps they are on holiday or don't know the answer.

You'd get a better response if you offer to cough up the $12, 000 or so yourself that it would take for just one set of new dies and the nominal min 50Kg run of the rail.

Andy

You'd get a better response if you offer to cough up the $12, 000 or so yourself that it would take for just one set of new dies and the nominal min 50Kg run of the rail.

Andy

I am advised that it is probably rolled, not extruded.  Fair comment, and that may be a bottom line whether it is dies or rollers..

However as existing UK suppliers allegedly use the same manufacturer I have, in recent months, encouraged them to get together.

All gave a positive response to the idea initially and I await feedback.

I don't know if DCC Concepts have there own die or are getting it made by the same factory in UK.

I don't know if stainless steel would go through the same tooling, I hope NOT as it might wear the tool faster than the N/S and mild steel.

As i have had good communication from DCC Concepts before I am surprised at being ignored, especially as I asked about UK stockist so I can buy and try some.