Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

And fully back on topic, I see there is an image of a second assembly in the recent Rapido newsletter, showing the footplate/cylinder/slide bar relationships looking much improved.

I was pleased to see this, and thanks to those who pointed it out.

The relationship between the slide bar and footplate looks much improved on the broad-side shot. It would be good to see a frontal view, showing the relation between the cylinder face and the footplate, and I will look forward to further developments concerning what is already looking to be a very compelling release.

As you'd expect, from Rapido.  

• Like 1

... latterly, an exclusively royal train was often used for longer distance travel but even then it would comprise coaches suitable for the journey - a sleeping car would be appropriate on a trip to Scotland, for example, but not Brighton....

Yes, except... I have a vague memory of a "royal train" visiting Wells (the Norfolk one) possibly during the second world war, and the king sleeping there on the train overnight, which had been moved to a siding in the station - presumably he was in a royal sleeping car.  (This is a vague memory, so I might just have dreamt it all.)

So I guess sometimes (once?) on short-haul trips you might see a royal sleeping car.

Paul

Edited by Fenman

Is there a link to said image please?

Yes, Chris P Bacon posted the link on the previous page.

You have to scroll down past a lot of pictures of a 'bus, then you get a side view of Single: http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-Vol--13---Lucky-for-Brummie-bus-fans-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=11TWL6AOE-M

• 2 months later...

From the Rapido News:

"We still expect to have completed production models on display at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition during the last weekend of November and we are doing our best to ensure that pre-order customers will receive their models before Christmas."

Do we know if the above timeframe for delivery is still on target?

PL.

• RMweb Gold

Do you think if I send my stuff over they'd line it for me ?

(Hi Jason, hope you don't mind me copying the photo in here, if you're ever on Vancouver Island, I know this pub...).

cheers, 

Jason

:stinker:

And believe it or not, I have photographic evidence of JCL buying a pint. . .

• RMweb Gold

The single does look as nice in the flesh as it does in the photographs.

It’s expensive, it’s unusual and I doubt you’ll use it everyday, and ive certainly no stock for it..

But I think I wouldn’t mind one.

post-20773-0-63840500-1511619887_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 9

Guest spet0114

How's the finish? It's a bit hard to judge from the photos - one looks quite glossy, the other looks more of a semi matt. Both look shinier than the Bachmann C1.

Edited by spet0114

I had a couple of looks at both the Locomotion cabinet and the Rapido stand. I’m no expert but it looked great and had ‘presence.’ It didn’t look flimsy. From a quick glance, I’m hopeful some of the issues highlighting earlier in the thread have been resolved, eg the riveting around the front of the cylinder but probably best to wait until we see some of Andy Y’s (I assume he’s taken some) excellent photos to judge

David

Edit: errors or not, I’m glad I have one on order!

Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It looked metal, one of the ones on the rapido stand looked t9 have become distorted from handling today.

I noticed the loco to tender coupling arrangement is quite unlike any other I’ve seen, looks more like how the kernow 4TC connects, with a male/female multi-pin adapter that push fits.post-20773-0-97843400-1511720576_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

To my eye at least the front end now looks a lot better.  Maybe the pictures we saw before were of a poorly assembled model.   We now have 5 bolt heads visibable above the front running plate and the rather disgraceful gap between the smokebox and the cylinders has all but vanished.  

The picture clarity could be better and the colour rendition is definitely off - the body colour is much closer to the front of the tender rather than the softer more olive colour we see here.

post-16681-0-81755400-1511727505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 4