"Missing" Worsborough Branch Signalboxes

Nigel N

My own experience of the Woodhead line, and Worsborough branch in particular, are from the latter days of the line, later 70's up to the end!

I remember Wentworth Jct box closing, but I can't remember the crossing boxes at either Strafford crossing, or Worsborough Dale, does anyone have any photo's of either box they could share??? Also any dates as to when these boxes actually closed??

Thanks!!

-Nigel

Thanks Charlie!

Amazing how many sidings there were at Worsborough  Dale!!!

I still haven't seen photo's of either box, I can only guess that they were small, single storey crossing boxes similar to Lewden or Kendal Green?

-Nigel

• 6 months later...

Strafford Crossing box closed in the early 1950s - it may have gone as part of the electrification. The road there was closed and became footpath only I was once told - but cannot confirm - that the box was moved down the line to Kendall Green to replace the existing box there. The only supporting evidence is that the entrance door was at one time on the opposite side of the box - from the inside you could see where it had been boarded up.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just say that I love - 'like' is not enough - the photo of Oxspring Junction signal box. That is what I call a signal box!  The GC had some absolute crackers clustered in the obscure backwaters of South Yorkshire, an area which I happen to think is ideal for modelling. It's just a matter of 'choose your period'. My preference would be for the era of outside framed 0-6-0s and coal wagons with one set of brake gear, but I can see the appeal of grimy EM1s and lots of rusting 16 ton minerals and hoppers. 

Archived