Cambridge Street, St. Pancras

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

Whilst both Ranelagh Bridge and Kings Cross stabling points have gained good coverage over the years, it seems Cambridge Street stabling/refueling point is often overlooked. Certainly as a Londoner in the 1960s & 70s I ignored it too often myself, never bothering to attempt to get around it. Why would I, having seen everything ever likely to be found there beforehand and always content with getting most of what was ever on the stabling point as I passed by on an express to somewhere more "exotic" such as Toton or Tinsley (well they would be to us Londoners intent on hunting down missing Classes 20 and 25s).

Does anyone have any plans of the stabling point, drawings or photographs by chance? As I have often thought it could influence a number of small stabling point layouts being built.

I recall personally seeing Classes:

08s (14A allocated),

24s & 25s (DO1 mainly sometimes a rarity from 55A, D16 or DO2)

Peaks and 47s of course (from the D16 pool mainly but again 55A Peaks sometimes too)

27s (D01/D15/D16 pool before they migrated to Scotland)

20s (not so common from the D01 pool and once one of the 30A batch too)

Aside from perhaps specials in the 1970s and 1980s what else visited except perhaps the Class 40 or just maybe 10201/2/3 or 10000/1 and the Co-Bos in the early 1960s.

Can anyone help with pics, plans drawing etc please?

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whilst both Ranelagh Bridge and Kings Cross stabling points have gained good coverage over the years, it seems Cambridge Street stabling/refueling point is often overlooked. Certainly as a Londoner in the 1960s & 70s I ignored it too often myself, never bothering to attempt to get around it. Why would I, having seen everything ever likely to be found there beforehand and always content with getting most of what was ever on the stabling point as I passed by on an express to somewhere more "exotic" such as Toton or Tinsley (well they would be to us Londoners intent on hunting down missing Classes 20 and 25s).

Does anyone have any plans of the stabling point, drawings or photographs by chance? As I have often thought it could influence a number of small stabling point layouts being built.

I recall personally seeing Classes:

08s (14A allocated),

24s & 25s (DO1 mainly sometimes a rarity from 55A, D16 or DO2)

Peaks and 47s of course (from the D16 pool mainly but again 55A Peaks sometimes too)

27s (D01/D15/D16 pool before they migrated to Scotland)

20s (not so common from the D01 pool and once one of the 30A batch too)

Aside from perhaps specials in the 1970s and 1980s what else visited except perhaps the Class 40 or just maybe 10201/2/3 or 10000/1 and the Co-Bos in the early 1960s.

Can anyone help with pics, plans drawing etc please?

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Plan https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/529879/183710/13/100765

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cricklewood had a small allocation of 31s at one time (eg in 1975 31157, 197, 310, 418, 419, 420, 421).

Oh yes I had forgotten about those, by that stage I was chasing Westerns, girlfriends, pop concerts and pubs, not always in that order...

Kevn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive, I had forgotten just how many sidings there were around St. Pancras and Kings Cross goods yards, no wonder there were always a few 08s about the place even into the early 70s.It was very remiss of me not to walk along the banks of the Regents Canal too in the area. I was amazed after watching the TV programme with Timothy West and Prunella Scales recently on just how much developement there has been along the canal hereabouts too. Residing in Inverness these days and having moved away from London in the early 80s you forget about thirty years of progress.

Kevin

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

There are pictures of this in ' diesels on shed ' from OpC that I have. I guess copyright stops me reproducing them here, although OPC is long defunct ?

Yep got that one it was browsing through this the other day that gave birth to the thoughts about Cambridge Street. Although after looking at the maps kindly provided by Clive one wonders why it was not called Camley Street as that was the name of the road it was on.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

There is this shot on Flickr taken from a passing train, taken in 1978 showing a 25 and several peaks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elmtreephotos/8448283734/in/photolist-qZfUAf-dSxEqo-oH7ckn-5JZv6g-fhYysf-fhJgPZ-pqB2yz-fhJhUg-fhJibH-eZxQQs-eZyegS-eZyfTS-dhifhw-eZxTrG-oem85K-hisi9c-nGcDUe-io1Q14-bDCwWF-cSuhmS-4WBVd6-b4KD9R-gMA8xJ-e1Dqj2-e1DoX6-e1Do6z-oyrg6V-aC2cHB-6ob8NB-aBhd5G-dfVyJP-bKHsuv-q2d8in-oddmTR-aCH34s-gDSYE-izXo2h-4ctBFm-fhJhCr-oLR3uM-fhJhoe-q6gURp-h4pSX5-aDixDb-d936c7-eZmxs2-eZyi1W-eZyhgN-eZyf9b-eZygRo

Another different view also probably from a train showing the refuelling point

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duckwalk/6306450704/in/photolist-bDCwWF-aC2cHB-dfVyJP-bKHsuv-aBhd5G-qZfUAf-87SuNH-gDSYE-auasod-bozxa9-dRUxmk-fmfpn2-ffVVto-ffVVvu-ffVVuh-7ny4Ko-7Ci6u7-979tbx-oemXyZ-91Ku59-bBPeg2-91W8mM-91WUkr-91LJjM-91vfPp-91PvwY-91Q7tj-91KMiH-91ZdK9-91Z2kG-91yuyJ-91YC4G-91WSDG-91LDHz-91WQ2z-91VGXp-91PoPq-91Pz1W-91P9Wy-91yqJ3-91QQfh-91PCyY-91PTjs-91VLrr-91QRnG-91vf1R-91Q1aJ-91PAc5-91WGc9-91VsPv

cheers

Now that first shot is spot on for getting a feel of the size of the layout here and something of the track plan. Trying to get a shot from the other end where the shed and the offices were would have spoilt the view of the locos, so I suspect noby gave it a go. The shed is of a similar LMR style albeit smaller than those at Saltley and Heaton mersey by the looks of things, certainly different to the nearby ER type at Kings Cross which in turn is similar to Kings Lynn and Peterborough among others. Whilst Ranelagh Bridge did not have fuel tanks it seems to have relied upon fuel direct from TTA tankers. Whereas almost everywhere else by the late 1960s had proper fuel storage tanks within bund walls, so how come Ranelagh Bridge never had a similar set up, was it proximity to residentual housing and local council regulations?

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine you have seen these before Kevin, but in case you haven't and to keep it in a topic I have re-posted them. They don't show much of the track plan or surrounding infastructure but they do provide a bit of nostalgia.

attachicon.gifD100 Cambridge St, St.Pancras June 66 Slide 50.jpg

attachicon.gifD5225 St.Pancras September 68 Slide 276.jpg

attachicon.gifD5381 Cambridge St. St.Pancras June 66 Slide 43.jpg

attachicon.gifD5409 St.Pancras July67 Slide 137.jpg

Thanks Grahame, these were all old friends from the day. Although we used to sigh loudly at St. Pancras upon the arrival of Royal Signals or The Manchester Regiment as these were real pests and it seemed they were always about the place, Sherwood Forrester along with Royal Marines and The Bedforshire Regiment T.A. were not far behind in this respect though.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Grahame, these were all old friends from the day. Although we used to sigh loudly at St. Pancras upon the arrival of Royal Signals or The Manchester Regiment as these were real pests and it seemed they were always about the place, Sherwood Forrester along with Royal Marines and The Bedforshire Regiment T.A. were not far behind in this respect though.

Kevin

Woo Kevin 

No more dissing D70 and D56 or there will be no more help. :nono: :nono: Bestest two Peaks BR ever had. :imsohappy: Agree about the Royal signals, what on earth made them name on after the  -...  .  .  .--.  ...  :O They never did name one "The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechcanical Engineers" :no: :umbrage:

Compared to how Bottom Shed http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38539-ranelagh-bridge-west-london-stabling-point/?p=1678600 , Ranelagh Bridge http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97489-ranelagh-bridge-looking-from-the-other-side/ and Liverpool Street http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66047-liverpool-street-diesel-servicing-point/ were shoehorned into place Cambridge Street is quite sprawling. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

this will give you rather more than 'old maps'

Choice of 1895 and 1947 overlaid with now.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.5373&lon=-0.1298&layers=173

Keith

Hi Keith

I am not sure a 1947 map is much help. Cambridge Street Diesel Servicing Depot was in use from circa 1960 to 1984. Before becoming a diesel depot the sidings were for storing coal wagons using the coal drops (closed 1963).

I have a VHS video where the film was taken from a passing train. It shows Peaks without yellow panels at the fueling points but no shed building which would date it pre 1962. Therefore the shed building was erected after the depot started to refuel the locos.

Yep got that one it was browsing through this the other day that gave birth to the thoughts about Cambridge Street. Although after looking at the maps kindly provided by Clive one wonders why it was not called Camley Street as that was the name of the road it was on.

Kevin

Kevin, because the road was originally named Cambridge Street (Old Maps 1916 although renamed Camley Street by 1953). The nearby signal box which was the 1st block post out of St Pancras up to the 1957 re-signalling was also called Cambridge Street. The yard itself originally dealt with coal wagons from Cambridge Street coal drops just south of the canal. D5225 & D5409 in BrushVeteran's photos stand on the former connection to the coal drops. The yard would have been converted to a diesel depot in c1960. The 2 most eastern sidings were shortened so the fuel storage tanks could be sited there. The single road shed was added in the mid-60's.

• RMweb Premium

They were taken in the early 1980s.

Please do not ask what locos they are, all a can tell you they are Peaks and Sulzer Bo-Bos.

post-16423-0-33197600-1429477589_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-00172500-1429477597_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-55759700-1429477607_thumb.jpg

Not the best shot, unless you want the detail of the window frame of a class 127, but is does show the office at the back of the shed.

post-16423-0-46477400-1429477691_thumb.jpg

Leaving now

post-16423-0-34162000-1429477700_thumb.jpg

Sometimes there would be a loco waiting to go to St Pancras the other side of the Regents Canal

post-16423-0-53419300-1429477733_thumb.jpg

I think this is the Regents Canal bridge.

post-16423-0-82631500-1429477741_thumb.jpg

I hope my snapshots help if anyone is considering Cambridge Street as a layout.

• Like 5

Cricklewood had a small allocation of 31s at one time (eg in 1975 31157, 197, 310, 418, 419, 420, 421).

I pass this location most days and I've been trying to locate the position of the depot in my own mind but with the redevelopment which has taken place, it's proving impossible.

I can't remember the 31s at Cricklewood, given that four of them are the rare (at that point) ETH fitted versions, it seems a bit mysterios as to why they were there. CW wouldn't have had any workings requiring ETH power so to send four locos newly fitted with it, at great expense, seems a bit odd.

31s did have a regular turn on the MML in later years and IIRC, those were Tinsley based but I might be wrong.

Any ideas what was behind this?

Mk2d/e/f air-conditioned coaches were introduced from April 1975 on the Midland Main Line. The 31/4's were for empty carriage workings to Cricklewood (replacing Classs 25's). The 31/4's didn't last very long and 45/1's were used instead.

• RMweb Gold

They were taken in the early 1980s.

Please do not ask what locos they are, all a can tell you they are Peaks and Sulzer Bo-Bos.

attachicon.gifcs7.jpg

attachicon.gifcs8.jpg

attachicon.gifcs9.jpg

Not the best shot, unless you want the detail of the window frame of a class 127, but is does show the office at the back of the shed.

attachicon.gifcs10.jpg

Leaving now

attachicon.gifcs11.jpg

Sometimes there would be a loco waiting to go to St Pancras the other side of the Regents Canal

attachicon.gifcs12.jpg

I think this is the Regents Canal bridge.

attachicon.gifcs13.jpg

I hope my snapshots help if anyone is considering Cambridge Street as a layout.

The top shot is great as it shows more of the shed and the office building. Also the shed building looks as though it is a bit more spacious than many if it is single track rather than double track. Go to the top of the class for taking these shots as far too many of us never bothered to and regret it now.

Kevin

• Like 1

I pass this location most days and I've been trying to locate the position of the depot in my own mind but with the redevelopment which has taken place, it's proving impossible.

I can't remember the 31s at Cricklewood, given that four of them are the rare (at that point) ETH fitted versions, it seems a bit mysterios as to why they were there. CW wouldn't have had any workings requiring ETH power so to send four locos newly fitted with it, at great expense, seems a bit odd.

31s did have a regular turn on the MML in later years and IIRC, those were Tinsley based but I might be wrong.

The ETH-fitted 31s may have been intended for mail workings; there was a period in the Eighties when there seemed to be more postal traffic than passenger at St Pancras.

Two of Cricklewood's 31s made a kamikaze attack on the North Circular, I recollect.

• 2 years later...

Midland crews were sent over to Old Oak Common in 1973 to learn the 31s prior to ETH/Air Con stock being cascaded onto the Midland. Below are some pictures of a 'Midland visit' in 1973, although attention soon wandered to other traction present, some being withdrawn Hymeks.

post-31978-0-11707000-1497191142.jpgpost-31978-0-18590800-1497191129.jpgpost-31978-0-33160700-1497191173.jpgpost-31978-0-46215100-1497191089.jpgpost-31978-0-37174500-1497191110.jpg

Andy.

• Like 6