Georgetown, CT O Scale 2 Rail Layout

Gordy

Welcome to Georgetown, its an O scale 2 Rail layout being built for me by Neil Mason of the Little Layout Company www.thelittlelayoutcompany.co.uk

This is the first of three exhibition layouts that will all connect together to make up a layout in my Cellar which is 28ft x 16ft.

But back to Georgetown, my layout is based on the Danbury Branch of the New Haven Railroad which goes from South Norwalk to Danbury via the Norwalk Valley in South Western Connecticut. There is a big myth that O scale layouts take up loads of room and if you have a small space you need to think HO or even N. So Georgetown is a layout you can build from one sheet of 8x4 ply. The scenic section is 8ft x 3ft with two 4x1ft staging yards that means the largest train will be 2 cars and a caboose. 

The layout is due for completion at the End of May/Early June and is already booked to attend the Leigh MRS show in September 2015. 

post-10500-0-41359800-1429476219_thumb.jpg

So the track plan was done on Anyrail software so that allowed us to initially lay out the track plan and structures. should note though at 45 printed pages it was like a Jigsaw trying to get them in order. 

post-10500-0-85921500-1429476418_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-52067500-1429476420_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-23172200-1429476422_thumb.jpg

post-10500-0-26595200-1429476424_thumb.jpg

Good to see an O-scale empire underway Gordy!  Where did your interest in the New Haven come from?  If ever my stalled house move finishes, I have to decide whether to build a small O-scale layout or start on a FreemO modular collection.  Maybe the more who see your layout and any others(!) will agree that one FreemO module would be worth a go. 

Jason

I have always loved David Popps Naugatuck Valley Railroad and I remember seeing Haston at Model Rail Scotland and thinking wow something like that could be done not much bigger in O scale and would look amazing. The deal was finally done when I spotted a pair of New Haven RS1's going cheap on Ebay and had to get them. Then a lot of searching on google led me to the Danbury Branch, because of the alternative freight route from Danbury to the New Haven mainline between NYC and Boston it allows me to run realistic short freight trains and more passenger service than would be on a normal US branchline layout so its perfect for me. 

Here is a track plan of what the future layout in the Cellar could look like with all three layouts brought together with a huge fiddle yard but that's still not finalised as I may add the branch to Ridgefield for a bit more operating potential and to hide the staging yard. 

post-10500-0-69344300-1429480509_thumb.jpg

Gordy,

Looks like you're off to a fantastic start!  I look forward to seeing the layout as it progresses.

What brand of track are you using?  And what radius curves are you using?

Thanks,

Damin.

Hi Damin

I am using Peco Code 124 points and C&L fine scale flexi track. I know chaired rail isn't prototypical for the US but importing atlas track is totally cost prohibitive, so its a necessary compromise. Curves are 40.5 inch radius Peco set track 

G

Using Chaired rail isnt a big issue for me, obviously the sleeper spacing is also wider. But when ballasted it wont be as noticable.

I think Its more important to keep the same standards throughout the layout. Ie same track manufacturer, same radius, etc etc then its not as noticable because it all looks the same. At the end of the day its cost Vs absoloute prototypically correct.

Although i would love to do a P48 layout one day.

Good to see an O-scale empire underway Gordy! Where did your interest in the New Haven come from? If ever my stalled house move finishes, I have to decide whether to build a small O-scale layout or start on a FreemO modular collection. Maybe the more who see your layout and any others(!) will agree that one FreemO module would be worth a go.

Jason

Hmm FreemO what are the standards? Is there anyone else interested in this? Any of those interested going 2 TVNAM? I could make ridgefield (part4) as modules

TBH O scale when you work out how much you would spend on HO or N in the same space the cost isn't that different

Agreed. Lottery wins are not essential for doing US O Scale. If you were doing UK O, using Loveless locos fitted with DCC/Sound, on the other hand.... :O :nono:

I think doing US O scale in 4'6" x 1' might be more of a stretch. I can just about squeeze in a switching puzzle in HO. But anyway, back to the thread...

oooo, now thats a challenge, I have designed a O scale layout that folded out and fitted in the boot of a Toyota MR2 Mk1, but maybe that's for another thread :)

Not really an update on progress but i have got my operating crew some Short Sleeve work shirts so I have been busy designing a logo to go on the back. Here's my first attempt

post-10500-0-48962500-1430086615_thumb.png

Archived