Wiring Seep PM 1 motors with a DPDT switch and LED's

Graham Walters

I'm trying to wire up a DPDT switch to operate seep PM1 point motors, with indicator led's in the circuit.

Problem is I can't get it to work at all

Here is a diagram of where I've got to

point%20motor%20wiring_zpsmt1c9dnv.png

The LED's are soldered long legs together,  I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way of routing the resistor, even so the LED's are not illuminating, and the motor isn't switching.

Graham,

To qualify what I am about to say I want you to know I am not an expert on circuits and have learnt a lot about this from Brian Lamberts very useful site. Take a look here :- http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

Firstly you appear to need a short burst current running in one or other of A or B for the SEEP motor. You should therefore have a momentary (or sprung to centre off) switch for the motors.

Secondly you appear to need current running in one or other of A or B for the LEDs to light but this conflicts with the motor's temporary current need. Therefore the basic constant current requirement to light one or other LED suggests you should have a parallel circuit probably switched using a reed switch or similar and not the DPDT. I have purchased commercial kits to make these that included their own CDU and are transistor controlled.

Somebody else will hopefully provide you with a more comprehensive answer of how to get the solution you want in the easiest way.

Matthew

Graham,

To qualify what I am about to say I want you to know I am not an expert on circuits and have learnt a lot about this from Brian Lamberts very useful site. Take a look here :- http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Motor

Firstly you appear to need a short burst current running in one or other of A or B for the SEEP motor. You should therefore have a momentary (or sprung to centre off) switch for the motors.

Secondly you appear to need current running in one or other of A or B for the LEDs to light but this conflicts with the motor's temporary current need. Therefore the basic constant current requirement to light one or other LED suggests you should have a parallel circuit probably switched using a reed switch or similar and not the DPDT. I have purchased commercial kits to make these that included their own CDU and are transistor controlled.

Somebody else will hopefully provide you with a more comprehensive answer of how to get the solution you want in the easiest way.

Matthew

This seems to be the root of the problem then, using an on/on DPDT switch is wrong... ( anyone want 9 DPDT sub miniature switches) ! 

You seem to have provided the right answer !

I've finally got the motor working, as is always when you nothing about some thing, it takes a bit of trial/error/patience and tips from other people to get things working.

I didn't know that a CDU had to wired up correctly polarity wise,.... I do now

I didn't know that due to the above you had to wire up the switch polarity correct... I do now

So I now know how to wire up a seep point motor:

Don't use DPDT switches, use SPST switches, it's a much simpler job.

Make sure you are watching the right video on Youtube, watching the wrong one can result in threads like this !

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear that you have sussed it Graham.

Any chance that you can post a 'corrected' circuit diagram to help future members to benefit from your experience?

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

And for the record LEDs (no apostrophe!) are usually long lead +, so if the black lead is negative the short leads need wiring together with the resistor in series to the black lead.

Archived