Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

I've delivered all my (A6-size) leaflets so will have to see what happens on 7th. As an independent, I'm on a hiding to nothing.

Visited some 3,000 homes. At one I could hear a couple of chaps in a shed - the door was open and inside was an N-gauge layout. As a true politician I said it looked very good, though if I were honest....

So, Peter, you're one of those Monster Raving Loony chaps, are you?   :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm here and ready to add my two penn'orth when and if I can. 

My prize moan today is that I can tolerate the election bumf through the door, but it appears that the good old fashioned practice of "going on the knocker" is dying out to be replaced by political nuisance phone calls - I have had several from Welsh sounding gents saying that they are calling on behalf of David Cameron, and on each occasion, I have politely told them that I don't discuss politics by phone, and also on each occasion they have promised to take me off the calling lists.  So again today, while I was having my meal, the phone rang again, and guess who - the Conservatives AGAIN, so this time, I got very rude and told them I'd vote for anybody else, and that they'd just lost my vote, regardless of what I was planning - even then, I doubt they've got the message.  And I thought that the double glazing and home improvement lot were bad.  However, the latter have the advantage that I can block them using my Call Blocker phone, as they are normally withheld, unavailable, or international - but this lot appear to be using a range of Cardiff numbers, so that unless I block each one separately, or set my blocking to listed numbers only, they are getting through - and as I do get calls from numbers other than on my trusted lists (hospital, Dr, etc) then they've got me.

Stewart

Thought that was Andy....

(Apologies Andy)

Funny you should say that Peter, when we lived in Buckfast, Alan Hope, (MRLP) had a Pub in Ashburton and we used to go there to eat and even Voted for them once. :no:  :no:

I'm working at our Local Polling Station on Thursday for a Party, but not exactly sure what I'm doing just yet. I'll then be up all night watching the counts on Telly, I've bagged Sky / BBC from 10pm to whenever and will be channel hopping all night for results and to see Jerremy Vine dancing on his map of England and Peter Kelner trying to make some sense of it all.

I don't think we will know who will be running the Country for a couple of days at least.

You MAY NOT  WILL NOT see me on here on Friday. :O

EDIT = Meant to say, Good Luck Peter.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Don, if you're tuned in, we don't need some of our favourite Physics topics to scare the customers away.

Politics will do it nicely!

Had to laugh the other day when one of the BBC correspondents stated that this election campaign has been "gripping". Nearly all of the saturation coverage has passed me by!

Stewart, I agree. The harder they try - and often the more annoyance they cause - the less likely I am to vote for somebody. I quite enjoy a good confrontation on the doorstep. I remember in the 1992 election, 3 representatives of a particular "main" party knocked on the door and proceeded to reel off their standard doctrine. I listened for a minute then confronted the main candidate with a load of stuff that was education-related. As a Physics teacher I felt I had something to say. One of his colleagues had the nerve to try to stop me in my tracks, at which point I told them in very blunt terms that since they'd taken the liberty to knock on MY door then I suggest they ought to listen. Quite enjoyed myself!

Jeff

• Like 8

As one with a bit of skin in the game (admittedly, a long way away)...

Putting your money where your mouth is is important.  I don't really care much about what political stripe you wear, at least you have most definitely DONE something...that's far better than being a mouthpiece for nothing...

I admire everyone who is involved in politics, at any level.  There are people who I detest for their viewpoint, but they undeniably have a right to express such opinions.  I'm all for Speakers Corner, the best way to disinfect crappy ideas is to expose them to sunlight where they wilt away.  Hidden in the dark corners they fester as a bad mold on the process...

James

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Don, if you're tuned in, we don't need some of our favourite Physics topics to scare the customers away.

Politics will do it nicely!

Had to laugh the other day when one of the BBC correspondents stated that this election campaign has been "gripping". Nearly all of the saturation coverage has passed me by!

Stewart, I agree. The harder they try - and often the more annoyance they cause - the less likely I am to vote for somebody. I quite enjoy a good confrontation on the doorstep. I remember in the 1992 election, 3 representatives of a particular "main" party knocked on the door and proceeded to reel off their standard doctrine. I listened for a minute then confronted the main candidate with a load of stuff that was education-related. As a Physics teacher I felt I had something to say. One of his colleagues had the nerve to try to stop me in my tracks, at which point I told them in very blunt terms that since they'd taken the liberty to knock on MY door then I suggest they ought to listen. Quite enjoyed myself!

Jeff

Yes, Jeff,

I also have asked them questions in my case on the NHS and on making the railway less expensive on the public purse by owning it and not subsidising those who claim to be running it as private company concerns.  If they managed to answer that then the one that always causes problems to them.  You have promised to equate FE lecturers salaries, who often teach the basic skills to those the secondary system didn't, with 'normal' teachers salaries.  FE work long hours and often antisocial hours and with so many government changes micro-managed yet are paid much less ... what are you going to do about it?  If its the party that I probably will not support they will knock on fewer doors that evening.

Having said that I prefer them knocking on the door to these nuisance telephone calls. Conversely I have also noticed fewer emails exhorting me to vote their way this time.

Peter 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel it is best to avoid politics you can easily ruin friendships. You may get on great with someone but turn to politics and you can be poles apart.  The truth is the is not that much difference between them all. The all seem to say one thing when they want your vote and then do something different once they get in.  They are also useless at running things.

Example

Whether or not you think imigration is a good thing or not. With it running at 300k per anum that would mean an extra 150k- 300k homes needed each year so building 200k homes a year is not going to do the job. Similarly the effect on doctors, hospital etc. etc. You need to be spending more on public services if there are more people. Hopefully they will start to earn money and pay taxes etc. But the investment is needed now to cope. This is not party politics I have heard none of them say that this is what is needed. 

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, Don, politics can be very divisive. And it's not normally something that's cropped up in the Lounge, though the topicality made its appearance inevitable!

One of those subjects where a group of people can argue and contradict each other for hours, and go nowhere. One phrase I hate from the political arena is "and the fact of the matter is..."

I also agree with James - it's better for us to be able to discuss matters than to keep them under wraps and let them fester. 

Anyway, you are all very welcome to continue the political debate, but excuse me if I say nothing further on the subject.

Jeff

• Like 4

I think I'm onto a winner with my manifesto:

1. Grants will be given to ensue that PECO make bullhead track (including points) to British sleeper spacings

2. Any layout that represents a small Traction Maintenance Depot in an unlikely location will be banned by European law

3. Tax incentives to model the Midland Railway

4. A 3-month jail term for anyone who omits more than three trap points from their layout

5. Strict quotas on the amount of wood used on a layout to save the rain forests

• RMweb Premium

1. Grants will be given to ensue that PECO make bullhead track (including points) to British sleeper spacings

2. Any layout that represents a small Traction Maintenance Depot in an unlikely location will be banned by European law

4. A 3-month jail term for anyone who omits more than three trap points from their layout

5. Strict quotas on the amount of wood used on a layout to save the rain forests

And, as you probably expected, manifesto criterion #5 rules out me voting for you!!

Now, as a potential Parliamentary candidate, can you offer additional inducements to, perhaps, make me reconsider my vote? For example, how about giving me a tax break for ensuring (via my "construction industry") that I sustain jobs in the European timber industry!?  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 5

D'oh! Blown it again.

Actually Jeff I'm just standing in the local elections for the Borough Council. Though someone thought I was standing for Parliament and moaned about second homes, whilst another berated me on immigration.

Anyway, enough politics from me.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Been on the sick list although I did place a few ratings before running out of steam yesterday. An interesting concept Jeff, I hope it works for you and obviously I've pressed the 'follow this content' button.

Although I hold fairly strongly polarised political views and as an atheist, the same goes for religion, but there is no way I'll enter into a dialogue on either subject on this or any other social network site! I've seen too many friendships soured and I believe that it could easily introduce some bad feeling into what is normally a really genial and fun site to visit. To be completely frank, I'm fed up with having the subject thrust at me by all media for the past seven or eight weeks so the last thing I need is to find it on one of my favourite sites. Sorry, rant over, best of luck on Thursday Pete K!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Do I vote for this bloke with the dodgy sounding name?  Mind you this bunch are no better Cameron, Sturgeon, Clegg, and Robinson hail from North of the wall, Farage comes from across the chanel, like my name does, and Mili Band is some jazz ensemble. :yes:  Wood and Bennett are not Welsh or Australian. :scratchhead:

Serious head on now, surnames are only an indication of someone's ancestry, the person is more important than their name.

Back to Peter's manifesto :rtfm:

1. agree :good:

2. I am in trouble..... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62823-pig-lane-or-should-it-be-i-am-sorry/  and http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979hanging-hill/

3. agree :declare:

4. I only need one.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87205-sheffield-exchange-problem-with-back-scene-idea/ :O

5. I don't use much wood on my layouts. My carpentry is so bad that I waste twice as much as I use. :secret:

The population of Poole would be mad not to vote for you. Good luck on Thursday. :)

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6

Ah!

Now I am amazed & impressed! "politics" on RMweb! Never did I think I would see the day!

Well done everyone for keeping neutral, I think that shows that here in the (new!) lounge, we have considerable quantities of respect and liking for each other that is little seen in other parts of this forum! This is obviously the better part of the forum then!

Personally while both Mrs E and I will cast our usual vote (our local chap seems pretty decent!), we are both quite jaded by election fever this time!

Cheers,

John.

PS Good luck to Peter K. on Thursday!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 3

I tell you what, looking at the Election from across the pond - whoever wins it’ll be the same old, same old............certainly I don’t care one way or the other. Most Americans see the UK as a glorified Disneyworld nowadays, I’m afraid (with added Downton Abbey) rightly or wrongly.

Hope all goes well for all of you.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

Most Americans see the UK as a glorified Disneyworld nowadays, I’m afraid (with added Downton Abbey) rightly or wrongly.

In keeping with Pete's observation, the vast majority of the UK news feed in the US this weekend involved royal reproduction.

• Like 5

Morning Guys, great bit of humour from Peter as usual, and Jeff's keeping us all neutral but enjoying the banter. 

Jock, sorry to hear you've been  a bit down, but hope you and Joanna are both O.K.

And as for the States well they all seem to love our Royals anyway so that cant be a bad thing.

Back off to visit the Physio this morning and then Whittaker St will take another bashing for a couple of Hours before going to Club tonight, I'm out all day tomorrow so you wont see much of me for a few days.

Doesn't matter who we vote for, we still get the "Gubbermint".

That's all the politics you'll get from me.

Elections and babies, good grief I'm glad that a) I don't have TV and B) there's cricket on the radio four days a week (weather permitting) otherwise I'd be quite insane by now.

Now I must go and feed my unicorns *gibber*

Dave

edit - must learn to trype prupperly

Edited by HeeleyBridge
  • Like 7

Personally, I was hoping that the Royal sprogging and the election happened on the same day to see which one got more news coverage. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It just about sums it up when the image of the UK abroad is represented by the Royal baby.

Jock, I agree about certain types of posting. It is very easy to alienate people who strongly disagree with your view. Politics isn't something I'd have expected to appear on here - well, beyond one post (!!) - and you've all been very restrained, with no overt support for any political party.

I guess other topics will appear in due course. I'd post some garden photos, but I've nothing new (or in the bunker) due to illness.

Don't forget - there'll be a (just for the fun of it) vote on the name for this thread on Thursday. I'll put a selection of candidates up for your perusal tomorrow evening!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Royal baby; who gives a crap. It was Sofia's sister who told us about it whilst we were in Spain as it had been all over the news there. Apparently, people in Spain DO give a crap......

• RMweb Premium

I don't keep quiet about my political views... "MONSTER RAVING LOONY" of course!

It's very true what Pete says about the American views of the UK, half the folks round here seem to be on about the princess. I feel sorry for them in a way because they don't have anything like that for themselves and definitely don't understand any of it. Not that it matters because every little American girl thinks she is a princess anyway! 

S'quatch I think I'll go off up in the woods to  make a few big foot calls and scare all the democrat tourists.

Edit. It should be noted that sasquatch do not posses the right to vote!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And as for the States well they all seem to love our Royals anyway so that cant be a bad thing.

Indeed, if they love them so much they can have them all for $2.99 to get them all out of our way! Though I've probably overstated their value there ;)

It really highlights the pathetic nature of our democracy when in the week of a General Election a baby, even before there was a name, was being discussed on the news as in line for a constitutional role. Why... has she shown herself to be super intelligent, endowed with fantastic leadership skills, or even good at debating? No... she was born in the right family.

That's my controversial statement for this subject and I expect many will disagree. So I'll say no more, just venting in the same way many did on the Scottish Referendum.

Edited by Anotheran