Lunester Lounge 2017.... for ANY topic you wish to discuss

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, if they love them so much they can have them all for $2.99 to get them all out of our way! Though I've probably overstated their value there ;)

It really highlights the pathetic nature of our democracy when in the week of a General Election a baby, even before there was a name, was being discussed on the news as in line for a constitutional role. Why... has she shown herself to be super intelligent, endowed with fantastic leadership skills, or even good at debating? No... she was born in the right family.

That's my controversial statement for this subject and I expect many will disagree. So I'll say no more, just venting in the same way many did on the Scottish Referendum.

Anyone for religion?

Thought not......

Of course she got to be 4th in line to rule us mear mortals by devine right.

Indeed, if they love them so much they can have them all for $2.99 to get them all out of our way! Though I've probably overstated their value there ;)

It really highlights the pathetic nature of our democracy when in the week of a General Election a baby, even before there was a name, was being discussed on the news as in line for a constitutional role. Why... has she shown herself to be super intelligent, endowed with fantastic leadership skills, or even good at debating? No... she was born in the right family.

That's my controversial statement for this subject and I expect many will disagree. So I'll say no more, just venting in the same way many did on the Scottish Referendum.

*four New South Welshman at the pub*

That's not a pathetic democracy.

We've got a pathetic democracy.

Its everything you just highlighted, PLUS that said baby was born 12,000 miles away.  In a foreign country.

And yet her father is destined to be OUR head of state.

AND our own Prime Minister was almost orgasmic in his gushing reverence over said birth.

That's a pathetic democracy!

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Gold

Interesting piece on Cuckoos on the radio yesterday. Not only does the baby Cuckoo shove any eggs or other chicks out of the nest but it appears the hen Cuckoo will destroy nests of other birds forcing them to relay their eggs which fits in with her timing of laying an egg. Rather takes the edge off the joy of hearing the Cuckoo.

For those who believe that everything is ordained by the will of their view of god. I would just say that any god that could dream up the Cuckoo might just as easily have a nasty surprise in store for us. For me whatever your view of God, the ability of humans to make choices to be kind and generous to each other and to other creatures is what makes us special it also allows us to kill something for fun,  not something I wish to do.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

*four New South Welshman at the pub*

That's not a pathetic democracy.

We've got a pathetic democracy.

Its everything you just highlighted, PLUS that said baby was born 12,000 miles away.  In a foreign country.

And yet her father is destined to be OUR head of state.

AND our own Prime Minister was almost orgasmic in his gushing reverence over said birth.

That's a pathetic democracy!

Quite agree, Scott. One of the world's great countries in subservience/thrall to a Victorian institution. And I refer to Australia, not the UK.

Are there any Royalists on here, or is everyone just keeping low?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Interesting piece on Cuckoos on the radio yesterday. Not only does the baby Cuckoo shove any eggs or other chicks out of the nest but it appears the hen Cuckoo will destroy nests of other birds forcing them to relay their eggs which fits in with her timing of laying an egg. Rather takes the edge off the joy of hearing the Cuckoo.

For those who believe that everything is ordained by the will of their view of god. I would just say that any god that could dream up the Cuckoo might just as easily have a nasty surprise in store for us. For me whatever your view of God, the ability of humans to make choices to be kind and generous to each other and to other creatures is what makes us special it also allows us to kill something for fun,  not something I wish to do.

Don

A couple of my friends are always asking me why I don't listen to the radio. I can see that I miss a lot of good stuff, and may have to change my habits. Not that I watch much on the TV these days. Always a good book - or lots of books for me.

Keep the tidbits coming!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now to a matter of TOTAL INCONSEQUENCE..... the naming of the old Lounge.

Here's a selection of names from among those suggested in earlier posts. Please choose one and suggest it in a post in this thread. 

You have until midnight tomorrow night (end of Thursday, 7th May, UK time). Only one vote per person and your first suggestion is the one that counts - so no changing your mind!!

The candidates:

1     The Waiting Room

2     The Privy

3     The Buffer Stop

4     The Old Lounge

5     The Lunester Lounge (ie. its original name)

A result will be declared sometime on Friday...

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I guess we're using that dodgy first past the post system... so my vote would have to go to "The Waiting Room"

If it was a single transferable vote system then my second preference would be "The Buffer Stop" 

• RMweb Premium

How about a few late entries:

A Gathering of Gobshites

Off Topic Central

Whose Stupid Idea Was This Anyway?

Settle And Carlisle? What's That?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of my friends are always asking me why I don't listen to the radio. I can see that I miss a lot of good stuff, and may have to change my habits. Not that I watch much on the TV these days. Always a good book - or lots of books for me.

Keep the tidbits coming!

Jeff

TV is awful over here. Ten minutes of what you're trying to watch then ten of bad advertising so we told Direct TV where to shove it. I actually pulled down the ugly dish yesterday!

I'd much rather be in the Lunester lounge! count that as my vote.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hey, Sasquatch - where are you in Oregon.  I have an online friend who is the K9 leader of the Josephine County Search and Rescue, and she has told some hairy stories about people getting lost, injured, or worse, in the mountains of Oregon.  Unusually, she uses Sussex Spaniels as her main S&R dogs.  She's quite an amazing woman.

Election tomorrow, so we can look forward to many many hours of uninformed analysis from the TV pundits.  Can't wait (not).

Lunester Lounge for me, please....and that's no secret vote - my ballot is open.

• RMweb Premium

How about a few late entries:

A Gathering of Gobshites

Off Topic Central

Whose Stupid Idea Was This Anyway?

Settle And Carlisle? What's That?

Jason, you have such a way with words. You MUST be a distant descendent of The Bard!

And, of course, the adjective "gobshite" caused a bit of a stir when Myleene Klass came up with it the other week on Countdown. Not that I watch Countdown, though I'd have watched it if I'd known she was on there!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Keep the votes coming, folks!

My TV watching - other than live sport - usually relies on recordings made on the Sky box. To hell with the adverts! It's also quite nice to watch a 45 minute programme in 45 minutes, rather than the hour or so that results from advert padding.

The problem is FINDING something worth recording in the first place.....

Btw, I'll cast my vote. Lunester Lounge for me.

Jeff

• Like 2

Jason, you have such a way with words. You MUST be a distant descendent of The Bard!

And, of course, the adjective "gobshite" caused a bit of a stir when Myleene Klass came up with it the other week on Countdown. Not that I watch Countdown, though I'd have watched it if I'd known she was on there!!

Jeff

"How did dat Gobshite get on da tele vishon"

One of my favourite quotes from Father Jack!!!

As for the vote, a resounding yes for the "Lunester Lounge" please! I find that much easier to decide than who gets to go to that other place full of hot air!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With over 24 hours still to go the early exit polls are predicting a landslide for "Lunester Lounge".

But with no previous results to go on we're unable to state what kind of swing that represents.

Whatever the result the New Lounge seems to have gained significant independence, but is having a full say in the name of the former combined thread

Now to a matter of TOTAL INCONSEQUENCE..... the naming of the old Lounge.

Here's a selection of names from among those suggested in earlier posts. Please choose one and suggest it in a post in this thread. 

You have until midnight tomorrow night (end of Thursday, 7th May, UK time). Only one vote per person and your first suggestion is the one that counts - so no changing your mind!!

The candidates:

1     The Waiting Room

2     The Privy

3     The Buffer Stop

4     The Old Lounge

5     The Lunester Lounge (ie. its original name)

A result will be declared sometime on Friday...

Jeff

The Privy for me Boss. I wanted to change it to the Palace, but I see I cant, hahhahha

• RMweb Premium

The Privy for me Boss. I wanted to change it to the Palace, but I see I cant, hahhahha

Duly noted.

Are you having problems with your digestion?  :D  :D

Jeff