I think that Jim S-W's New St works OK in 4mm (I have only seen it in photos not "live"), but the viewing height available in 2mm will be so much more restricted.

To see through the station, you need to set the layout at eye level. But if you do that, you can't see anything in the cutting.....

Sorry to sound negative but I had a great friend who when he finally came to retirement and construction of his "layout of a lifetime" found that the extensive platform canopies on his layout meant that he could not see the trains properly. He was very disappointed.

I think I'm going to make some quick mock up buildings out of card and just positions them on the layout once the track is down and see what the view is like. I just don't want to loose the atmosphere of the station in a cutting. I taken on board what you say though.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Gold

Just came across this, excellent stuff! Don't know if it will be of any use to you but Railscene Cabride number 5 Euston to Liverpool might be of some use to you, filmed in 1986, here's a link

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251950813977

Cab Ride Dvd No. 5: Euston to Liverpool, WCML, 1980s Classic Drivers View

Cheers, Paul

Whilst looking through the Wigan World website which has an excellent railway photo section, I came across a picture of one of the Northampton Cobbler rakes being used on a weekend railtour. Not sure if the 20's would have worked all the way through to Euston. However they would have passed Dallam Hmmmm.....

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=3&id=26442&gallery=Railways&offset=960

Cheers

Simon

Good evening,

I've now finished the final version of the the track layout on templot using a signalling plan which I have been kindly given. There has been a compromise in one slip which I can't relate from the plan to photos. Tomorrow I'll print out the plan and then trim it and set it up on the floor again to see how it looks. I'll post some photos tomorrow evening.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 3

Just been giving some thoughts to the scenic area on Euston (although this is a long way off). Trying to decide how much of the surrounding buildings I fancy doing bearing in mind this is quite a mammoth sized project even though it's only a small section.

So initially I will model the open area with the "train shed" part of the station being effectively the fiddle yard. there will be just the opening to this modelled as this will provide a nice scenic break. Further thoughts would be to eventually model the entire train shed area.

Here are a couple of propositions below, I have outlined two google earth maps with the two different ideas. Excuse the wonky lines, its not easy drawing these on a lap top.

Any thoughts and comments on these would be most welcome.

Plan 1: (even though it's more work, this is my preferred at present)

post-10222-0-25564700-1431696076_thumb.jpg

Plan 2:

post-10222-0-41698000-1431696105_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6

Thanks guys for your comments.

Richard i, I'm keen to model the hotel even though it makes the board a bit of an awkward shape.

Big P, I think turning the board around is a great idea and I think I'll go with this. In terms of having the station train shed open, that's a great idea which I have considered but will be very much phase 2 of the layout.

Simon, I'm thinking that I will have one very large baseboard for the scenic section and then a board either side for the fiddle yards.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy, I have attached a photo of Princess Elizabeth backing down to Platform 16 from the backing out roads at Euston, which may help you with your track plans.

When I worked at Euston as a DSM, before I retired, I was responsible for train movements in conjuction with the PSB and my engine arranger. Some details that may be of use are as follows.

Platform 1 was used for the Royal Train, Royal Mail and a bullion train as well as the arrival for one of the Sleeper services. The number of Brutes there was because thats where they were taken for repair as well as GPO.

Platforms 8-10 ( known as the wood) was used for suburban services and the D.C. trains (8-9).

Platforms 15 & 16 were used for Motorail and Sleeper departures.

There was a portacabin at the bottom of the road ramp to Platform 16 which used to be the Motorail reception. (Still there?)

Platform 17 was not used for passenger use and Guvs would be placed there prior to being loaded by use of a sideloader wagon in Platform 16. The ramp on Platform 17,originally for loading cars was not used when I was there. We had two sideloaders and these were shunted around by class 08s.

The two roads between 15 & 16 were used to stable locos and the upside shed was also used to stable locos and sets.

Platform 18 was only used for passenger services , due to emergencies or disruption. A small siding by this was also used to stable locos. The photo of the 86 previously sent in shows to its right the remains of a concrete support for the OLE. The tracks, I believe there were two had been removed before I worked there. 

Down side shed was used by Parcels services and stored many vans during the day.

Today the Royal Train does not use platform 1 and since about 2004, platform 17 was made available for passenger train use.post-19072-0-06055200-1431715024_thumb.jpg. M Burgoyne

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Morning,

Dunno if this is of any use -  Probably filmed after your period of modelling?

From the cab a Class 73 shunting at Euston.....    https://youtu.be/Wqc06Fpfg1g

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Very interesting video. I'm going to run through my templot trackplan again this evening and check it all matches. There will be one compromise on trackwork though, but I'll see if anyone notices! :no:

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

Shows that Jeremy is in for some very challenging point building - slips with switched diamonds.

Yes, not looking straight forward. At the moment, they are all slips on my plan as I hadn't actually seen the point work as close up as in the video posted by Paul. I could change them to the switched diamonds.....or just leave it as slips.

It would bug me if it wasn't quite correct!

What a cracking plan Jeremy, somehow I had overlooked this whole thread, unbelievable with my love of electric traction and OHLE!

I would go for your plan 1 but viewed from the other side as Paul suggests. The layout would then have a natural curve away from the viewer and circle you as an operator. You can keep the hotel as a further operator encasement.

What a cracking plan Jeremy, somehow I had overlooked this whole thread, unbelievable with my love of electric traction and OHLE!

I would go for your plan 1 but viewed from the other side as Paul suggests. The layout would then have a natural curve away from the viewer and circle you as an operator. You can keep the hotel as a further operator encasement.

Thanks mate! What do you reckon on the turnouts situation? I'm going to struggle building them either way!