Hi Jeremy,

Yes, there is a scratch built APT-P running on Kings Park. The team were kind enough to run our pre-production Pendolino sample alongside it at the N Gauge International Show last September; here is a good photo:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126055-things/?p=2851785

But... it is the gas turbine APT-E Revolution is offering up, as this is the model produced by Rapido (shown in the previous post) and would be a relatively straightforward project, provided there is adequate interest. At the moment I'd say we have around 2/3 of the sign-ups we need, which TBH is quicker than we expected but still not at the point we are ready to start taking money.

The APT-P is a Durham Trains of Stanley/DJM project in 00 and N and nothing to do with Revolution.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I’ll definitely be up for the revolution APT-E. The DJM APT-P (which is the one I was referring to) though I think will not achieve the minimum expressions of interest unfortunately.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

I've just realised that there hasn't been an update of the layout recently. Please could we see one?

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for looking in and apologies for the late reply. There are bits and bobs of progress taking place which include some wiring, changes to the fiddle yard, platform edging construction and I've also started gluing into position some wooden supports in between the platform edging ready to take the platform surfaces. I'll post an update soon, but in the meantime, here is a photo from my collection which I have recently had digitised from a larger negative. It shows 86027 stabled at Euston during the early 1980's.

post-10222-0-63349500-1525958712_thumb.jpg

Copyright cornishtrainsjez

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 9

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for looking in and apologies for the late reply. There are bits and bobs of progress taking place which include some wiring, changes to the fiddle yard, platform edging construction and I've also started gluing into position some wooden supports in between the platform edging ready to take the platform surfaces. I'll post an update soon, but in the meantime, here is a photo from my collection which I have recently had digitised from a larger negative. It shows 86027 stabled at Euston during the early 1980's.

attachicon.gifNegs-001 copy.jpg

Copyright cornishtrainsjez

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

It's fine and that picture is amazing. A bit of a convoy going on there. During Easter, I went to Needham Market on the GEML and recorded videos of the orignal class 90's that virgin used back in the early 2000's (even got a horn!). If you ever need help with OHLE I've got some photos but most of it is the mk3 stuff and some from HS1 as well. I will be taking a trip to Nuneaton soon and I'll have some more photos of mk1 stuff as well, in case you need it.

Regards, Matthew

Hi,

It's fine and that picture is amazing. A bit of a convoy going on there. During Easter, I went to Needham Market on the GEML and recorded videos of the orignal class 90's that virgin used back in the early 2000's (even got a horn!). If you ever need help with OHLE I've got some photos but most of it is the mk3 stuff and some from HS1 as well. I will be taking a trip to Nuneaton soon and I'll have some more photos of mk1 stuff as well, in case you need it.

Regards, Matthew

Thanks Matthew. The OHLE is a really important part of the layout for me and I want to get it just right. I’ve been studying hundreds of photos of the station to try and get a decent number of angles on each of the gantries as they will all need to be scratchbuilt using N Brass gantries as a basis.

That photo is nice. I’ve got another dating back to the mid sixties which I’ll upload soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Matthew. The OHLE is a really important part of the layout for me and I want to get it just right. I’ve been studying hundreds of photos of the station to try and get a decent number of angles on each of the gantries as they will all need to be scratchbuilt using N Brass gantries as a basis.

That photo is nice. I’ve got another dating back to the mid sixties which I’ll upload soon.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi,

Yes it is an important part of the layout but unfortunately I don't have a layout yet so I can't really run any of my electric locos properly. Even though I model in oo, I also have a fascination with n gauge (and probably will come back to it!). I'll also be looking forward to your next photo. I have also attached one of my OHLE photos as well.

Best regards, Matthew

post-33589-0-53692100-1526017709_thumb.jpeg

Love your work Jeremy but please stop posting photos of your 390104 - I umm'd & ahh'd for ages about whether I could justify two or not, and in the end just got a plain one. I've now got serious non-buyers regret!!

Looks great.

Love your work Jeremy but please stop posting photos of your 390104 - I umm'd & ahh'd for ages about whether I could justify two or not, and in the end just got a plain one. I've now got serious non-buyers regret!!

Looks great.

Thanks Ash. 390104 is my favourite Pendolino livery. The next set of photos will feature locos from the period modelled, good old Intercity livery, which I have to say, is the smartest ever livery on our network.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Looks great.

But the plain one can be run back & forth all day without betraying the fact that it is the same unit.

I am not sure how many the Alsthom livery was applied to. It certainly was not many & may have only been the 1. It would look wrong to run that back & forth all session.

Those full length platforms are going to look superb when they are finished. I like how well you have recreated that gentle sweep of the platform and track. It looks spot on.

Great to see your progress. All the best

Dave

Cheers Dave! The platforms under the “train shed” roof will be around 60% of the length of the prototype but I’ll still be able to fit full length trains in most platforms. The gentle sweeps have come out well but took some measuring of the prototype on google earth to get it accurate.

Best regards,

Jeremy

But the plain one can be run back & forth all day without betraying the fact that it is the same unit.

I am not sure how many the Alsthom livery was applied to. It certainly was not many & may have only been the 1. It would look wrong to run that back & forth all session.

Just the one in this livery I think Pete. I wished I bought a couple more plain liveried versions.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Those full length platforms are going to look superb when they are finished. I like how well you have recreated that gentle sweep of the platform and track. It looks spot on.

What he said. Looking superb. The wall, the track, the platforms, the catenary (the Pendo!) all coming together very well indeed.

Thanks for updating us.

Also, 390104 is the only Pendolino in the Alstom livery, though I believe the four additional 11-car sets supplied in 2009-12 to supplement the fleet carry the Alstom circles logo on their noses.

Cheers

Ben A.

What he said. Looking superb. The wall, the track, the platforms, the catenary (the Pendo!) all coming together very well indeed.

Thanks for updating us.

Also, 390104 is the only Pendolino in the Alstom livery, though I believe the four additional 11-car sets supplied in 2009-12 to supplement the fleet carry the Alstom circles logo on their noses.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your kind comments. I think the flavour of Euston is gradually coming through and yes, the pendo's do look good. Hopefully I can make some more progress over the weekend.

Best regards,

Jeremy

P.S Just need some class 321's now!

You're 100% right, but I still wish I'd ordered one !!  

Good afternoon,

Having been inspired by Simon's Dallam thread and his excellent resprays, I decided to crack on with mine and try and get some of them finished. I've also ordered the transfers to finish them off from both John at Precision Transfers and Fox Transfers. I already have the nameplates from Brian at Shawplan.

So here we go:

First up is E3118 nears completion and now has its buffer beams painted red with a bit of detailing left to do on the actual buffers themselves. Just a bit of touching up on the body paint left after that and the headcode to put together before glossing and transfers. I have some nice etched early BR emblems that I picked up from Fox Transfers to finish this one off. I really like this livery and may do a few more like this just for those mid 1960's moments at Euston!

attachicon.gifP9070202.JPG

Next up, 86240 "Bishop Eric Treacy". I've now sprayed the pantograph well and there is some touching up on the yellow and painting the cab window surrounds in black left to do. This one will be running semi-permanently with the HST DVT.

attachicon.gifP9070204.JPG

Here we have 86210 "City of Edinburgh" in its mainline livery without Intercity Swallow logos. This one was part of the Euston - Birmingham push pull pool in 1990 so will have its buffer beam detailed at one end and will be permanently on this service with a DVT on the Southern end. Just noticed the yellow needs sorting by the cab windows!

attachicon.gifP9070203.JPG

Last up is the HST DVT which has now received its stripes. I need to redo the white stripe at the front as I'm not happy with it and It's gone a little wide and is wonky. I'll rub it back a little and then mask up and respray the yellow around it which should hopefully sort it out.

attachicon.gifP9070201.JPG

I haven't got much to report on 37401 "Mary Queen of Scots" but all that is remaining with that one is to paint the buffer beam black and tidy up the yellow a little.

I'll gloss varnish all the locos in one batch, and then transfers and matt varnish to finish. I'll leave weathering for a later date but I'm keen at the moment to just get the locos repsprayed. I've got some 87's to do too.

My latest purchase is this lovely Inspection saloon and here it is leaving Euston behind 50030 Repulse.

attachicon.gifP9070206.JPG

Turnout motorisation is progressing slowly and I'm currently awaiting some under baseboard tie bars which are out of stock at the moment!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jez

I've been following this thread with absolute incredulity, well done and I hope to see it in the flesh at some point.

N Scale isn't my thing at all, but you could be forgiven for thinking this was 4mm at first (I did!).

Just bear in mind, AL6s were all delivered in Rail Blue, not Electric Blue. And very few had red buffer beams, just the first handful from each of the Vulcan and Donny builds had them.

You probably already know about the flexicoils and double door handles being later additions.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your kind comments. I think the flavour of Euston is gradually coming through and yes, the pendo's do look good. Hopefully I can make some more progress over the weekend.

Best regards,

Jeremy

P.S Just need some class 321's now!

You're right there Jeremy. An 8car class 321 set pulling off and navigating those points sets before disappearing under the bridge would look superb.

I didn't realize the platforms are only 60% length of the real thing. They look very long and impressive already, I don't think you will be missing anything by not modelling the other 40%.

Jeep up the great work, I'm enjoying following the progress. All the best

Dave

Hi Jez

I've been following this thread with absolute incredulity, well done and I hope to see it in the flesh at some point.

N Scale isn't my thing at all, but you could be forgiven for thinking this was 4mm at first (I did!).

Just bear in mind, AL6s were all delivered in Rail Blue, not Electric Blue. And very few had red buffer beams, just the first handful from each of the Vulcan and Donny builds had them.

You probably already know about the flexicoils and double door handles being later additions.

Hi,

Thank you for looking in and following my thread. To be honest, I had no idea about the AL6 colourings as photos always show a different shade of blue. I bought both railmatches and Phoenix paint offerings as both have slightly different shades of the electric blue. I opted for the more bluer of the two shades for my example. The double door handles I only noticed recently so one or two my 86’s aren’t quite right for the period modelled. I’ll certainly be paying more attention to this on my future repaints and filling in the second set of handles where appropriate.

The flexi coils I had no idea, thanks again for the tip.

Best regards,

Jeremy

You're right there Jeremy. An 8car class 321 set pulling off and navigating those points sets before disappearing under the bridge would look superb.

I didn't realize the platforms are only 60% length of the real thing. They look very long and impressive already, I don't think you will be missing anything by not modelling the other 40%.

Jeep up the great work, I'm enjoying following the progress. All the best

Dave

Thanks mate. Would love some 321’s doubled up, like you say would look brilliant. I’m hoping to get my 317 finished soon and hopefully do another so I can run an 8 car set. I’d also like a 310 but doubt anyone will ever do one of those and it will most probably be a nightmare to scratchbuild one. I came across a photo of an 2 x 4 car 310 recently arriving at Euston in 1989 substituting for a 317 so I could have a good excuse to run one!

Best regards,

Jeremy

No worries Jez, to be fair the Electric Blue on 86s myth has been stated so often in books that it's become an 'accepted fact', so much so that VT painted theirs in that shade and the same with Les Ross, lovely as they look/looked.

In fact when BR repainted 86426 in an approximation of its original livery for the Intercity 21st celebrations, they were slated for painted it the 'wrong' colour when in fact it was correct in Rail Blue.

Of course the AL1-AL5 were delivered in Electric Blue, and the AL6 details were applied in the same proportions such as white roof, white window surrounds etc. So it's easy to see where the confusion and myth arose.

Anyway. Keep up the cracking work on this project, it's coming together very well.

Another little section of the wall built tonight is the section the stands out from the retaining wall as in this photo behind the class 87:

post-10222-0-19945600-1526680504_thumb.png

And here’s my scratch built version. Just needs the white section filed to shape once the glue has dried. I’ll add this to the wall tomorrow after work and post a couple of photos

post-10222-0-62852100-1526680809_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 6