Private owner wagons Index - searchable

Hello all

I've started creating a searchable index to published private owner wagons in excel format. It lists wagons by Owner, location, county, associated railway, type and publication.

I'm about half way through indexing the 30 or so publications on PO wagons from the UK - it started when i wanted to find the published ones from the south of england and, like topsy, it growed. I attach it for anyone's perusal. I'd stress it's a work in progress and a lot of editing will be needed, but people may find it of value.

Stewart Ellinson

Private owner wagons index.xls

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's a labour of love Stewart,  thanks very much for posting it.   I have a lot of information about PO wagons in the Yorkshire Dales from research that I did for my last layout (Long Preston).   I'm away on holiday at the moment but when I get home I'll dig out my files and send you the info that I've got.   My principle source was the Midland Railway PO registers at Kew plus the harles Roberts order books at the NRM.

Jamie

Im aware of the lightmoor index but its hard to Navigate - I wanted to be able to find wagons which operated in and around kent, and this was the answer..... Now it seems to be answering questions I never asked!!

I'd also stress that this isn't primary research, its me trawling through the thirty or so published works on PO wagons - the real heroes of this are messrs. Hudson, Turton, pope etc etc

Edited by s_ellinson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately my area of interest was pre grouping and specifically for wagons that operated on the Settle and Carlie and branches so I didn't gather the info for the post war era.  The order books are all accessible at the NRM though saved by Bill Hudson who came across a man wheeling them towards the incinerator in a barrow.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Unfortunately my area of interest was pre grouping and specifically for wagons that operated on the Settle and Carlie and branches so I didn't gather the info for the post war era.  The order books are all accessible at the NRM though saved by Bill Hudson who came across a man wheeling them towards the incinerator in a barrow.

Jamie

Only the Prewar Chas' Roberts order books are at the NRM or if the other are they the NRM deny their existence!

Mark Saunders

Bill might be the man to talk to - or maybe the intro to his first private owner's book might shed some light on what he saved. And of course, if you take a trip to Matlock, there's Peak rail and his bookshop to peruse!

Edited by s_ellinson

• RMweb Premium

Bill might be the man to talk to - or maybe the intro to his first private owner's book might shed some light on what he saved. And of course, if you take a trip to Matlock, there's Peak rail and his bookshop to peruse!I'm fairly certain that the books that Bill saved, that ended up at the NRM don't cover the post war period.  I suspect that they would still ahve been retained by the business.  Bill did ledn me his list when i was doing my resarch and \i don't remember anyting more recent than the 1930s;.

Jamie

By way of a progress report, here's an updated version of last weeks file. it now indexes approximately 2200 owners, although I've not been through and tidied up the punctuation etc - in any case, there are still a dozen or so books to go, but all of the Turton, Hudson and Thomas books are in there, along with the OPC Gloucester book and some others. I (think) i can see light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone's got a copy of "private owner wagons on the cambrian" that they don't want - by the welsh railway circle, circa 1997 - I'm after a copy.

More next week!

Private owner wagons index 12 5.xls

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. It's good to see progress. I hope to be able to get some stuff done later this week. Do you have the three small paperbacks that were published in the 70's by IIRC a model shop in London. They had outline drawings of wagon sides only. I think I've got two of the three.

Jamie

Those were AG Thomas's "Private owner wagons", the first book I ever bought on PO wagons was his Volume 3. They're all in the index as AGT1 / 2 / 3. They can be a little inaccurate as they were done "off the wagon side" during the war and just after when a lot of PO wagons were in poor shape. There's one case (I forget the wagon) where a wagon was repaired with two planks off a scrapped one, giving rise to a very odd combination of names.

Thanks for that. It's good to see progress. I hope to be able to get some stuff done later this week. Do you have the three small paperbacks that were published in the 70's by IIRC a model shop in London. They had outline drawings of wagon sides only. I think I've got two of the three.

Jamie

Were they like this? Published by MAP -  but I can only find reference to this one, No 11 by Peter Matthews (which I have):

post-17823-0-96813500-1431433305.jpg

Edited by Osgood

hi there,

check out the L&Y Soc web site,

go to knowledge/facsimiles/operational documents

they have as listed - work in progress - Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Private Owner Wagon Register - book 1

well worth trawling through

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheeky request but I have been unable to get a copy of volume 9 of the Turton book from my library. I am researching Forder and Co as they ran the Burghclere Lime Works.

I understand that B. J. Forder & Son Ltd feature on page 61of volume 9.

I wonder if anyone who has a copy of that book would be willing to scan that one entry for me and email it? I can't afford £20 for a look at one page of a book.

Personal research only, not for gain.

Thanks in advance

Colin

These look interesting, is there an index of which wagons are shown in them?

Mark Saunders

No index in the books, although they are in Owner alphabetical order.

If you download Stewart's spreadsheet (post 11)  you can sort through that. AGT1, AGT2 & AGT3 are the cross reference to these books.

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

First, Keith Turton intends to publish an index of his books when volume 14 is puit.

Secondly, I have for a long time been collecting info on Welsh PO wagons in print, though it has not been kept up to date recently. You are welcome to use it for what it is worth. See attachment.

Thirdly, beware an odd error in Matthews who has confused the Hatfield in Yorkshire with thew one in Herts. I don't remember many collieries around St Albans.

Jonathan

powagons.xls

First, Keith Turton intends to publish an index of his books when volume 14 is puit.

Secondly, I have for a long time been collecting info on Welsh PO wagons in print, though it has not been kept up to date recently. You are welcome to use it for what it is worth. See attachment.

Thirdly, beware an odd error in Matthews who has confused the Hatfield in Yorkshire with thew one in Herts. I don't remember many collieries around St Albans.

Jonathan

Not that it makes any difference, but the actual confusion was over Royston, again either a colliery in Yorkshire or a town in Hertfordshire, not as close to St Albans as Hatfield.