Private owner wagons Index - searchable

• 2 years later...

By way of a progress report, here's an updated version of last weeks file. it now indexes approximately 2200 owners, although I've not been through and tidied up the punctuation etc - in any case, there are still a dozen or so books to go, but all of the Turton, Hudson and Thomas books are in there, along with the OPC Gloucester book and some others. I (think) i can see light at the end of the tunnel.

If anyone's got a copy of "private owner wagons on the cambrian" that they don't want - by the welsh railway circle, circa 1997 - I'm after a copy.

More next week!

This is brilliant work, are there any more updates?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is brilliant work, are there any more updates?

As I'm very much a newbie on the subject, I could be wide of the mark but I've noticed atleast 2 names not on the list, namely Shaka Salt and Weymouth District Cooperative society.

Both of these I have seen on Oxford Rail wagons.

I take it these did actually exist in 1-1 scale?

• 1 month later...

As no one else has answered this for you, neither wagon has yet appeared in a book on PoWs, hence they don't appear in this chap's spreadsheet or the Lightmoor index.

The Lightmoor index doesn't include the county unless it's not obvious from the place name of the wagon. Every book so far published on PoWs is listed at the start of it.

I would think the W&DCS wagon would be authentic, but I don't know about the Shaka Salt one I'm afraid.

I hope this is of interest.

I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of both of them. Probably in model railway magazines.

The Shaka Salt wagon was definitely drawn in colour in a Model Railway Constructor article in the early 1970s. It might be under something else as I think it's a brand name, possibly Salt Union or ICI.

If I remember the general consensus at the time, then the Oxford Rail - Weymouth wagon was correct in the livery stakes, but it was the wrong type of wagon.

I would also add that POW Sides do transfers for them both and they are usually pretty reliable.

Jason