Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Worth being a WRRC member if you are modelling any welsh location odd bits of info can turn up now and then.

Don

ooh do we have a linky thing for that please ?

Dioclh yn Fawr

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Before opening up the buffer holes, I thought I'd have a look at the difference in real terms, and I thought the best way to do that would be to compare it with another product that was accurate.

Now I haven't herd any stories of Parkside kits being inaccurate, so I laid an end off a PS28, GWR Covered Goods Wagon, next to the Fruit D, and here is the result

post-14906-0-75200500-1431784443_thumb.jpg

It is a touch out!!!!!

I'm not trying to slate an otherwise excellent kit, but why haven't JLTRT been able to remedy the fault with the tooling?

Oh well, it shouldn't take too long to deal with, although I think I'll make up the buffers themselves first so I know what to remove on the chassis to allow them to clear.

Jinty ;-)

Before opening up the buffer holes, I thought I'd have a look at the difference in real terms, and I thought the best way to do that would be to compare it with another product that was accurate.

Now I haven't herd any stories of Parkside kits being inaccurate, so I laid an end off a PS28, GWR Covered Goods Wagon, next to the Fruit D, and here is the result

attachicon.gifTal 11.jpg

It is a touch out!!!!!

I'm not trying to slate an otherwise excellent kit, but why haven't JLTRT been able to remedy the fault with the tooling?

Oh well, it shouldn't take too long to deal with, although I think I'll make up the buffers themselves first so I know what to remove on the chassis to allow them to clear.

Jinty ;-)

Ive got one to build; poor show considering what I paid for the kit.

I have to say that this is the great thing about a forum like this, other peoples experiences in highlighting little faults like the one above with the buffer holes on the wagon kit, this enables us modellers to help each other ................... it saves many a "oh FFS moment" especially as Chris says the amount of money spent on these kits it is a poor show by the manufacturers who must have numerous chances to put it right.

Happy modelling .... and keep sharing the info Gents & Ladies.

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

I have to agree with the comments above, after what we pay for these kits!!! How much extra work/cost would it involve in re-tooling it? No doubt someone will be along to teach me about investment against profit and how many it would take to recoup the adjustment, and thus how viable this is!!!

Here the Fruit D is with the PS28 end sitting loosely on top of the buffers.

A better alignment I think. And thanks to the person who brought it to my attention.

post-14906-0-52757200-1431801571_thumb.jpg

And here it is, sitting on its wheels.

post-14906-0-41737800-1431801582_thumb.jpg

The body is now in primer after fitting the vac & steam pipes to each end. I've trimmed them back so the chassis can be fitted without catching them.

BR Maroon beckons, or should I say Suzuki Antique Dark Red!!!

I had numerous colours mixed in 1L tins, that I could mix with thinners through the airbrush.

I need to go and give it a good rub down!!!

Jinty ;-)

• Like 5

And after the BR Maroon...................

post-14906-0-35362700-1431807411_thumb.jpg

I've got some touching up on the roof edge and paint the roof a dark grey, paint the buffers and pipework, and then add transfers, a matt varnish, and then, once the chassis is finished, a nice weathering, which hopefully will show up really nicely in 7mm!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There are some useful photos of Talyllyn Jcn in the WRRC book  Steam in Mid Wales by Michael Hale.  a special offer price at the moment.

Don

There are some useful photos of Talyllyn Jcn in the WRRC book  Steam in Mid Wales by Michael Hale.  a special offer price at the moment.

Don

Hi Don,

Thank you for that. I already have a publication coming from them, and I found Andrew from the publications department, very helpful.

I've just had a look and it's only a fiver, well worth a punt!!!

Anyway, a little bit more done on the Fruit D, I airbrushed the roof this morning with Precision Mk1 coach roof grey, went to work, and then touched in the buffers and pipes where I could.

It's starting to look a bit more like now.

post-14906-0-32020900-1431884618_thumb.jpg

I will endeavour to get on with the chassis tomorrow after work, and then I'll have to get some transfers for the thing!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for 60's transfers for the Fruit D????

Jinty ;-)

• Like 7

HMRS transfer sheets 25 & 26.

Dave

Thanks for the info, but I've never seemed to get on with HMRS Pressfix transfers. I know they're better than waterslide, but I just don't get on with them.

I discovered the Railtec range, and what a big range they have, I've usually used Fox or Modelmaster.

Correct transfers ordered from Railtec. I'll give them a try.

Jinty ;-)

Looks nice that Wagon Jinty, not to sure about the sleeper spacing on the handbuilt trackwork though ?  :scratchhead:

post-14906-0-32020900-1431884618_thumb.j

Now that's because I've soldered some 125 BH onto some 4mm copperclads sleepering!!!

Do you mean that it isn't to scale then????? :O

I will be placing an order with C&L very soon, for some timber sleepers, some rail and oodles of various chairs!!! (Surely oodles isn't a real word is it? There was no red/spellchecker line under it!!!)

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Lovely work Jinty, seems you can turn your hand to just about anything whether it's wagons, tracks or who knows what  :paint:

All the best in this endeavor

Simon

The wagon really does look good. Makes my efforts look very poor. Still one cannot improve until one has something to improve upon!

Keep up the good work.

Rod

You sell yourself short Rod, Ramchester is a lovely station with a nice atmospheric feel to it. And there's nowt wrong with your Vanfit either!!!

Anyway, Talyllyn Junction (West) was a busy little place, and the more I read, the more I find out about what sort of scedules it had.

I received my copy of Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR & BR (Section 59) by R.A. Cooke. Excellent diagrams of the surrounding stations, etc.

Here is a view of Talyllyn Junction in its entirety

© R.A.Cooke

post-14906-0-58219500-1432059590_thumb.jpg

And this is the section I will be attempting to model

© R.A. Cooke

post-14906-0-35708300-1432059608_thumb.jpg

There was obviously good enough cattle traffic to warrant the dock on the siding on the bottom.

The line to Tal-y-Bont/Merthyr although double, only the lower line was used, the other line was a long siding but joined up with the East junction.

In early years there was a carriage shed and an engine shed in the centre of the triangle. But it was all gone by 1922.

There was a lot of traffic to Three Cocks Junction and other northern stations, used by both the LMR and GWR, realising a lot of different stock and motive power from both companies.

After seeing this plan and the surrounding stations, I feel more upbeat as to the operational possibilities of the layout.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Last night was spent fitting the axleboxes and the cross strap after the chassis had been painted. once this was done, I just touched up here and there, but I haven't varnished it with matt varnish yet, as I've got to get on with something else.

The Railtec transfers went on a treat and are real good quality. even though I haven't varnished yet, you can't see much in the way of carrier film. They arrived next day too!!!

I would certainly recommend them. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Well here she is basking in our Welsh sunshine, W2369W

post-14906-0-81865600-1432136862_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-02533700-1432136875_thumb.jpg

I've noticed that I've got one of the steps a bit wonky, but I'll attend to that in time!!!

As for the next project on the workbench, it should be one of the nine Parkside wagons I've got now, or the two Jim McGowan brake vans, but no, I'll be starting this...............

post-14906-0-82971200-1432136887_thumb.jpg

Fowler 4F 0-6-0 & Fowler tender, a touch of homework to see which one (suggestions are welcome), but the tender can be started.

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

Hi David,

This Fruit D is one I built last year, it's a WEP  kit and as you can see it is just waiting to go through the paint shop.

post-7101-0-68739200-1432141763.jpg

post-7101-0-87901400-1432141781.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

Last night was spent fitting the axleboxes and the cross strap after the chassis had been painted. once this was done, I just touched up here and there, but I haven't varnished it with matt varnish yet, as I've got to get on with something else.

The Railtec transfers went on a treat and are real good quality. even though I haven't varnished yet, you can't see much in the way of carrier film. They arrived next day too!!!

I would certainly recommend them. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Well here she is basking in our Welsh sunshine, W2369W

attachicon.gifTal 18.jpg

attachicon.gifTal 19.jpg

I've noticed that I've got one of the steps a bit wonky, but I'll attend to that in time!!!

As for the next project on the workbench, it should be one of the nine Parkside wagons I've got now, or the two Jim McGowan brake vans, but no, I'll be starting this...............

attachicon.gifTal 20.jpg

Fowler 4F 0-6-0 & Fowler tender, a touch of homework to see which one (suggestions are welcome), but the tender can be started.

Jinty ;)

How is the layout coming along ? have you laid the track yet ?  :whistle:

That fruit van looks good Jinty Boy  :declare:

Edited by muddys-blues