Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Managed some time today to get a start on some internal details

I’ll be putting posters info boards ,hopefully a clock above fireplace and some signage

Jints will put benches and people in if wishes to

attachicon.gif34D23552-6325-4558-8840-2759EC6E1BBD.jpeg

attachicon.gif0F61DF70-24BF-42B1-8BBE-3DC49ACBDFED.jpeg

attachicon.gif7544C1E4-CBFA-4B51-ACB4-C17885C586C0.jpeg

Brian

Awesome Brian, that's nearly all the buildings for Talyllyn now, Just a couple of little huts and a corrugated hut which I've already got.

As I've said before, I'll have to get stuck into the platforms to give them somewhere to sit!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Awesome Brian, that's nearly all the buildings for Talyllyn now, Just a couple of little huts and a corrugated hut which I've already got.

As I've said before, I'll have to get stuck into the platforms to give them somewhere to sit!!!

Jinty ;)

Platforms don't count as buildings so I reckon yo :jester: u can put them under civils  :jester:

Thanks for a great day last Tuesday mate with your good self, Craig / Muddys Blues, George T, Martin / Gismorail and Larry Goddard / Coachman that was.

The 20's and New 25 Sound Awesome.

Cheers.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Well I'm actually going to post something here myself for a change.

I've been umming and ahhing about which bogies to use on my Brassworks E147 single B'Set coach. The body has been converted and painted for a good while now, but I just couldn't get the brassworks bogies to work ok through my O-MF track. The wheel flanges looked more coarse scale than anything, and they certainly didn't like being moved on their axles.

So Easybuild 9' Pressed Steel bogies were purchased and a little bit of butchery to the bogie pivots to get the right height and it runs nice and smoothly through my many crossing vees.

Here is a quick little video showing the coach and a Fruit D being dragged, wrong line working, through Talyllyn Junction Station.

I also had a nice trip up to the Blyth clubrooms with Brian, to meet up with some friends up there and exchange some bits and pieces.

Brian has finished the little waiting room for Platform 2 so I must now really get on and finish that platform at least. 

Having solved the bogie problem, it has given me a bit of impetus to get through the work mountain!!!

More very soon

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 23/12/2018 at 18:13, Andrew P said:

Just one update a day, should be enough, haha :no:  :no:  :sungum:  :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Sadly failing on that score Andy!!! :cray_mini:

Anyway, first update of 2019 and we're only in May!!!

I purchased an Ex-Northstar LNWR M52 Driving Trailer from the current producers, Gladiator. 

It's a lovely kit and I've managed to get the body together today, all nice and square, cleaned up and the roof roughly cut and placed on top awaiting final fettling.

This is to go with my Dapol BR Black Jinty, 47479 which is auto fitted as it was whilst shedded in Swansea.

Rule 1 for a trip from Swansea to Talyllyn!!!

Here is the body at close of play today.

JWB01.JPG.254860c1736b8ac5ca5b88aac5b81039.JPG

JWB02.JPG.c25e03446ab8105f19d90f3b7ebb285b.JPG

Hopefully it won't be as long before the next update.

Jinty ;)

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

In a bit of shock this morning :o.... to find a posting on this thread ... :jester:

David some excellent construction work gone on there you must have a very steady hand along with patience in abundance ....wonderful progress keep up the good work Sir 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been plodding on with the Ex LNWR M52 Driving Trailer and after finding out a few interesting details from a very knowledgeable ex-member  of RMWeb, I have continued on with the build after making a little adjustment to the sides!!! :banghead:

The sides were swapped around then a start was made on the underfloor. The vac cylinders on these coaches were both on the compartment side to facilitate the early auto gear that they used. When they were converted to vacuum operation, the vac cylinders remained on the same side, and the central running board was removed.

I decided to use Sidelines cast brass vac cylinders and cranks, not because the whitemetal ones were poor, on the contrary, they were very good, I just prefer brass where I can.

Markits brass buffers have been used as well as the vac and steam pipes in the kit and an additional one from Laurie Griffin.

A couple of pictures (Off my phone, so not the best)

JWB25.jpg.432a10360c255213220689afec276a0b.jpg

JWB24.jpg.a4866b792959177b8162ae0b3cf06c73.jpg

Bogies next

Jinty ;)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

A little video of the Ex LNWR M52 Driving trailer on its maiden voyage backwards and forwards across the tunnel turnout and all was well.

The Jinty is a Dapol model, fitted with a Laurie Griffin Chimney and safety valves with the correct base, then some Jim McGowan cast brass push-pull gear, extra vacuum piping and Narrow Planet Smokebox number and shed plates. Also fitted with a Zimo MX644D sound decoder through two bass reflex speakers (One in each tank) and a lamp on the front buffer beam with a bi-coloured LED to show correctly in both forward and propelling modes. The M52 will have a similar lamp fitted so that it will be prototypical in showing white in forward and red in reverse on both the coach and the loco.
A D1807 Period II Open Third will be built as an additional vehicle between the loco and driving trailer, as there was on the Greenfield branch. The M52 will be in Crimson Lake and the D1807 will be in Crimson and Cream.

Here is the video:

Jinty ;)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, Jintyman said:

A little video of the Ex LNWR M52 Driving trailer on its maiden voyage backwards and forwards across the tunnel turnout and all was well.

The Jinty is a Dapol model, fitted with a Laurie Griffin Chimney and safety valves with the correct base, then some Jim McGowan cast brass push-pull gear, extra vacuum piping and Narrow Planet Smokebox number and shed plates. Also fitted with a Zimo MX644D sound decoder through two bass reflex speakers (One in each tank) and a lamp on the front buffer beam with a bi-coloured LED to show correctly in both forward and propelling modes. The M52 will have a similar lamp fitted so that it will be prototypical in showing white in forward and red in reverse on both the coach and the loco.
A D1807 Period II Open Third will be built as an additional vehicle between the loco and driving trailer, as there was on the Greenfield branch. The M52 will be in Crimson Lake and the D1807 will be in Crimson and Cream.

Here is the video:

Jinty ;)

Wonderful video and excellent work on the coach .... I'm in great admiration for your skills ....note to myself ' pull your finger out and at least try !!!!!!' :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 20:39, Jintyman said:

I made a small video this evening with a couple of trains at Talyllyn, one of which has been fitted with a lamp for train reporting on the front as a stopping passenger train.

Hope you enjoy

Jinty ;)

Lovely little video. Did anyone else notice how clanky the Jinty was compared to the hushed tones of the Pannier? Superior Swindon product!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, malcolmcelyn said:

Lovely little video. Did anyone else notice how clanky the Jinty was compared to the hushed tones of the Pannier? Superior Swindon product!

I noticed that as well, and had to turn down the volume. Hope I don’t get tinnitus.

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...

Not a lot been going on due to summer stuff and recently car trouble in bucket loads!!!!

Anyway here is the Gladiator Ex LNWR M52 Driving Trailer with a coat of paint on.

LMS Crimson Lake and awaiting the weathering stick.

I haven't painted the bogies yet as I've been trying to fathom what to do about DCC lighting of the coach.

The lamp is a YouChoos bi-color unit which is white/red and this will work in conjunction with the Jinty loco. The driving cabin and the saloon all have lighting fitted, one glowing warm white over each compartment.

My dilemma was, do I run the wiring to the Jintiy's decoder via a plug, or do I give the coach it's own pick-ups and it's own decoder?

I have now decided to give the coach its own pick-ups and decoder and will run the Jinty and the coach with the same DCC running number so that they work in harmony with each other.

This decision was pretty much made for me by the Dapol Jinty not having adequate space for a 5-pin plug/socket under the rear buffer beam.

Anyway a couple of pictures, unfortunatley the light had faded so it all looks a bit darker than it is in the real world.

JWB46.jpg.c7c7c272cacf8e59ff93cf2ed7e6b075.jpg

JWB47.jpg.9b6deeabb1071456165117c6f87168fc.jpg

JWB48.jpg.19a6f2aa5c9aaec8011aa694ed6452eb.jpg

JWB49.jpg.1705224fd246cc49d130d742ad76e67b.jpg

Now to fit the bogies with pick-ups!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

16 minutes ago, Simond said:

David, if you can insulate the bogies from the chassis, you could short one side of each pair of wheels, and use the American pick-up system.  No extra friction, very reliable, and less fiddly...

atb

Simon

Peartree wheels Simon, not like Slaters, somewhat more difficult to do that with.

I have some ideas for some low friction sprung pick-ups anyway.

Thanks all the same.

13 minutes ago, PannierTanker14 said:

A question I’ve always wanted to ask since I first started watching the videos: where does the tunnel go?

To the next room from the garage and eventually to the bottom of the garden to the shed!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1