BRM JUNE 2015 ISSUE with FREE DVD!

The June issue of BRM goes on-sale in shops on Thursday May 14th and is available as a Digital Edition NOW! As always, every issue of BRM comes with a FREE DVD!

We think it's another good issue, and hope you do too.

Have a Great Weekend and Enjoy!

Ben

post-22012-0-93893400-1431078135_thumb.jpg

FREE DVD with every copy!
Included on this month’s free DVD is:
* Up The Line – First World War field railway in O16.5 scale
* Phil Parker’s guide to working with card
* Bachmann’s 2015/16 models
* Howard Smith’s road railer project
* BRM Archive: Ashburton

·  And, here’s what you’ll find inside your 148-page issue of BRM

post-22012-0-49341800-1431078151_thumb.jpg

Three Great Model Railways
Up The Line: This impressive O-16.5 gauge model recalls the devastated landscape of Northern France during the First World War.
Dunkow Road: Inspired by a brief encounter with WR diesel-hydraulics, Andy Small built this layout set during the transition period to BR corporate blue.
Tates: A re-creation of one of the narrow gauge railways of Lincolnshire is a well modelled slice of potato territory on The Fens.

Practical BRM
Second Hand Savers: Phil Parker continues his quest to improve models of yesteryear on a budget. This time he tackles veteran wagons.
Fit sound in an N gauge diesel: How to install a Zimo DCC sound system and cab lighting in the new Graham Farish Class 25.
How to super detail Hornby’s K1: Tony Wright makes a few tweaks and improves Hornby’s new Peppercorn 2-6-0.
Improve a simple plastic kit: Cheap plastic kits can be made into miniature works of art with a few improvements!
Build a Petite Properties cottage: Phil Parker tests a cottage kit from this market newcomer.

NEW PRODUCTS 2015/16: 12-PAGE SPECIAL! Who’s doing what in 2015/16? - All the latest news on forthcoming RTR models, kits, scenics, accessories and tech
Reviews: Bachmann’s GNR Ivatt ‘Large Atlantic’ to Graham Farish’s Class 47/7 and unrebuilt Bulleid 'Merchant Navy'
News Extra: useful items for your layout from Gaugemaster!
Tried & Tested: Bachmann’s new Dynamis Ultima DCC system

Plus…
Prototype Inspiration: Grain Traffic
Inside Track - Paul A. Lunn's layout planning workshop
Reader’s Layouts
Tail Lamp

post-22012-0-93893400-1431078135_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

And... don't forget that you we are now taking offers for this model of the new-build P2, as featured in BRM.

This 4mm/ft scale model of P2 locomotive 'Prince of Wales' is being auctioned to raise funds for the P2 Steam Locomotive Company project - to build a real Gresley 2-8-2 of the same name. Following research, this model has been made as accurate as possible given the amount of information currently available.

This model is available to buy and sealed bid offers are currently being taken. The proceeds from the winning bidder of the auction will go directly to the P2 Steam Locomotive Company and contribute towards the £5m target to get 'Prince of Wales' on the rails. You’ll become part of the history of building the new P2 and the owner of a unique model in 4mm/ft scale. Also included will be a signed certificate by Mark Allatt, chairman and David Elliott, Director of Engineering of the P2 Steam Locomotive Company. Plus, we’ve teamed up with the P2 Steam Locomotive Company to offer the winning bidder exclusive access to the workshop at Darlington where Prince of Wales is being built to see for yourself the progress being made. All we need to know is the maximum bid you are willing to place to win the model.

post-8492-0-50118800-1431078769_thumb.jpg

Bids must be entered before June 15, 2015. No need to send us a cheque at this stage. Simply send the following information to BRM, Warners Group Publications, The Maltings, West Street, Bourne PE10 9PH or via email to howards@warnersgroup.co.uk.

Name…………..

Maximum bid……………

Telephone Number…………..

Address…………

Email address (if any)

Happy bidding, and good luck!

• RMweb Premium

I found the Tail Lamp piece to be insightful and thought provoking this month. A welcome change to the obvious agenda in the last edition.

I do feel that layouts at shows should entertain and that exhibitors have a duty to positively engage with the audience. As a veteran of 60+ shows I know full well that this is not an easy balance to achieve. I do sense though that some layout owners see the paying public as an inconvenience. Does it hurt to be civil, answer questions politely and informatively? Will it kill you to adjust how the layout is run to suit different audiences at different shows?

In return though the audience perhaps needs to be mindful that operating a layout for up to three days solid, often with fewer operators than required in halls that can be freezing cold or boiling hot can result in momentary lapses in operation.

A trend I've noted over the last 15+ years is that it's increasingly difficult to get the optimum number of operators at a show. Reasons can include:

# as fuel and accommodation costs have increased, operator numbers are reduced to make the invitation economical for the host club.

# work for many strays beyond the traditional 9-5, Mon to Fri and can mean that operators are suddenly unavailable at short notice. In many industries a plea to the boss that you can't work owing to having a commitment to play trains cuts no ice.

# there are a lot of layouts out there now built by lone modellers or small non-club groups that don't have a pool of operators to call upon.

# human error of accepting invitations without checking the availability of your support operators or their failure to correctly align domestic calendars.

# illness within the team. Here folk can be absent or try to carry on so as to 'not let the side down' - either way there will be an impact.

All things considered I get the impression that there's more layouts trying to do more shows and a lower cost with fewer people. Just like the non-hobby world, sometimes you get away with it and at other times the ball is dropped. These days though a dropped ball will be widely broadcast and the internet pundits will have their say.

This is a hobby and we do do it for enjoyment....right?

On sale 14th? It states 9 th in Mays edition. Can someone clarify? I don want to trudge all the way to smiffs tomorrow if it's not out. Thanks

Hi Dan,

It's on sale on the 14th - on sale date is always the second Thursday of the month. Apologies for any confusion (I was momentarily confused as well!)

Ben

• Administrators

And... don't forget that you we are now taking offers for this model of the new-build P2, as featured in BRM.

This 4mm/ft scale model of P2 locomotive 'Prince of Wales' is being auctioned to raise funds for the P2 Steam Locomotive Company project - to build a real Gresley 2-8-2 of the same name. Following research, this model has been made as accurate as possible given the amount of information currently available.

This model is available to buy and sealed bid offers are currently being taken. The proceeds from the winning bidder of the auction will go directly to the P2 Steam Locomotive Company and contribute towards the £5m target to get 'Prince of Wales' on the rails. You’ll become part of the history of building the new P2 and the owner of a unique model in 4mm/ft scale. Also included will be a signed certificate by Mark Allatt, chairman and David Elliott, Director of Engineering of the P2 Steam Locomotive Company. Plus, we’ve teamed up with the P2 Steam Locomotive Company to offer the winning bidder exclusive access to the workshop at Darlington where Prince of Wales is being built to see for yourself the progress being made. All we need to know is the maximum bid you are willing to place to win the model.

attachicon.gifP2 13.jpg

Bids must be entered before June 15, 2015. No need to send us a cheque at this stage. Simply send the following information to BRM, Warners Group Publications, The Maltings, West Street, Bourne PE10 9PH or via email to howards@warnersgroup.co.uk.

Name…………..

Maximum bid……………

Telephone Number…………..

Address…………

Email address (if any)

Happy bidding, and good luck!

It's now on RMweb Buy & Sell too: http://www.rmweb-buyandsell.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/4787/

• Administrators

Shame about the missing full lining to the Smokebox, Cab, Tender and Footplate. The Vacumn Return pipe should be Green and the Buffer housings Black.

Grab a bargain and re-modify? 

Shame about the missing full lining to the Smokebox, Cab, Tender and Footplate. The Vacumn Return pipe should be Green and the Buffer housings Black.

Psst; the real thing hasn't been built yet. 

Grab a bargain and re-modify?

Might just do that, I've got a spare motor bogie from an old sausage (ask Andy Y ...why?) would it fit if I threw the motion away ?

• Moderators

The Vacumn Return pipe should be Green and the Buffer housings Black.

Mick,

This is the first official painting of No. 2007 by Jonathan Clay. Along with other pics shown on the P2 website, it shows the buffer housings as being red (as with Tornado).

post-8492-0-60572100-1432049672.jpg

Regards,

Howard

Mick,

This is the first official painting of No. 2007 by Jonathan Clay. Along with other pics shown on the P2 website, it shows the buffer housings as being red (as with Tornado).

attachicon.gifWS_LNER_New_build_P2_No._2007_Clay.jpg

Regards,

Howard

Thanks it also shows the bufferbeam hasn't been lined out either as to the Buffers they are simply wrong . See here 

http://www.loveless.co.uk/wayback/2011/lner_p2.html

As to Tornado she is in BR version of the LNER livery.

If BRM want to raise money for the P2 new build (which i fully agree with)  they should do a proper job of the model not a half baked effort . Or offer it for sale saying what  level of detail the model has it actually is without the unnecessary hype !! 

Hi,

One, this thread is on the magazine issue, not the models accuracy, so probably a separate thread would be better?

Secondly, are we really arguing on the accuracy of a model of a loco that isn't even constructed yet, I.e. the final details aren't even known yet?! I'm sure there's better things to do in life....

Simon

If BRM want to raise money for the P2 new build (which i fully agree with)  they should do a proper job of the model not a half baked effort . Or offer it for sale saying what  level of detail the model has it actually is without the unnecessary hype !! 

If you do agree with it, it is probably doing the trust a disservice if you try to devalue it through the desire to expound a level of knowledge and theoretically apply it.

It's a bit like when you wife asks what a new dress looks like; she wouldn't thank you for describing excessive dimensions in the wrong area. You may be technically right but sometimes it's best to stay quiet. :)

If you do agree with it, it is probably doing the trust a disservice if you try to devalue it through the desire to expound a level of knowledge and theoretically apply it.

It's a bit like when you wife asks what a new dress looks like; she wouldn't thank you for describing excessive dimensions in the wrong area. You may be technically right but sometimes it's best to stay quiet. :)

Just tell her that part looks big in everything, then you never have to go shopping with her again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just watched the DVD, interesting as always. But please can we have some more on the layout used in many of the shots, the one with all that trackwork up on stilts. Looks fascinating.

• RMweb Gold

Without a doubt. There's a lot to be said for a tactical silence or exercise an economy with the truth......

A well placed "yes dear" is very underrated.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been having a play around in SCARM with Paul Lunn's trackplan on page 79. Now either I'm a complete numpty (possible) or there is no way on earth that plan can fit  into 6' x 4' in OO/HO as annotated. Please tell me there is a typo, before I pull any more of my hair out!

Archived