APT-P - lobbying and modelling

Anthony566

In principle, yes, I'd like one too. However, I can't see Rapido doing a four-coach set for the same price as the APT-E and a lot more coaches would be needed. Depends on cost and whether I could do without eating for a couple of months. An APT-P would make sense, though, with all the tilt, radius 2 and electrical connections already sorted out at great expense and trouble.

It's a very sophisticated project, the APT-E model. I seem to remember that Hornby used a transverse, V-shaped piece of plastic and a fore and aft blade of plastic nestled in the V. As the coaches turned, the blade rode up one side of the V and tilted the vehicle. 

• 9 months later...

Seems the APT-P has always been popular, perhaps people are just jumping on the band wagon. Strike while the iron is hot etc....

That is some jump based just on a thread on here. The iron is barely luke-warm. :P 

• 6 months later...

I've noticed quite a few kitbashed APT-P trailer coaches on eBay.

Does somebody know something the rest of us don't know?

John

Have we all missed something, The amount of APT-P's going through Ebay over the past few months has been unbelievable, and at decent prices, I bought a new panto for mine for £35 which wasn't really cheap, £45 now. 

Are they being sold to make way for Rapido's new version? (fingers crossed) and why are people buying them? because they missed out on the APT-E?, I suppose if people are buying them, then they must be some sort of interest.

I'd noticed them all too and thought the same thing

To be honest I'm surprised quite so many APTs still survive from the 80s to appear on Ebay and in generally such a good condition bearing in mind they would have been bought as kids toys

The APT was produced for several years IIRC and sold in significant volumes.The project was not finally canned until 1986 IIRC. I always wanted one and I still think that is what the future should have looked like. ;)

Quite a few are in very good condition, Had mine over 20+ years, slated it like no tomorrow, kept derailing, couldn't really move itself, wouldn't pull the skin off custard, ended up left in pieces all over.

Owning E-Train got me thinking about P-Train so it was only June/July this year I tracked her down, took some finding put an old decoder in and off she went, ran a bit rough still not too fantastic considering she'd never ran for over 15 years. After a bit of help from some members new traction tires were fitted and I swapped the decoder for a Lokpilot with powerpack, picked up tenfold, and really impressed I take it all back.

Even though she'd been left lying about is still in very good condition, no wear at all, Suppose just goes to show  how good and strong they were back then.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Myself and DJ Models with crowdfunding and hoping to produce the APT-P only announced at Warley at the weekend its doing very well indeed with interest as far as Australia.

Just go to durhamtrainsofstanley.co.uk to see the formations.  

That could be me

John

I know off topic but while i wait for my APT-E to arrive :) and thinking ahead is there a chance that Rapido might do an APT-P ??

Hi sorry if I’m a bit late catching onto the idea of an APT-P, which I would defo have to go with my E aversion but haven’t Rapido just consigned the prototype HST to the shelf of doom. Fat chance of them doing the P I would say and I would be very miffed if it jumped the queue ahead of the HST.

Hi sorry if I’m a bit late catching onto the idea of an APT-P, which I would defo have to go with my E aversion but haven’t Rapido just consigned the prototype HST to the shelf of doom. Fat chance of them doing the P I would say and I would be very miffed if it jumped the queue ahead of the HST.

no harm in gauging interest

I dont see why there's a queue formed specifying the order in which models should be produced. Was the prototype HST not being commissioned with the NRM so it could well be them rather than Rapido that thought it should be postponed. The APT-P sounded like it would be through crowdfunding, which is quite different to a commissioner coming up with a large sum of money upfront.

• 2 years later...