Model Bus Repaints

crompton 33

Hi. The only way to get a Model bus that i Wanted for my layout was a full repaint. This started off as a EFE Sheffield corp AEC Regent mk3 with orion bodywork. After a full strip down and Repaint it's now in the old Eastbourne Corporation Livery.  37309947436_01c4f59bd2_c.jpgIMGP0425 by ALF WESTLEY, on Flickr

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 10

Hi. I First took the model apart. Then used paint Stripper on the body. Then a light coat of Halfords Grey primer before the top coats. A White spray can was used for the top coat on the roof . All the best alf

The silver poles that are inside, attatched to the roof, come through to the chassis floor, and are held in place by circular"washers" that grip the poles. Easiest way I have found is to use a spring loaded centre punch, set to max, on the end of the poles. Gradually they disappear into the plastic washer, and the body comes off.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

This is how i take them apart. On the underside of the bus you will find 2 plastic lug's. They can be red or black you need to keep these for the rebuild. Do NOT remove these at this stage they will fall out when the lower and upper deck come apart.  You will see a metal rivet at the rear of the underside you need to drill the head off . Next get a small flat screwdriver put this in between the upper and lower deck twist the screwdriver as you work around the body. You may need to work round a few times then it will come apart.You can now remove the seat's and windows. Do NOT remove the poles as you need them to refit the body. Once you have done your repaint refit the plastic lug's to the pole's as before. i use epoxy where the rivet head was drilled out.  If you want to remove the poles you will need to use Epoxy to fix the upper and lower decks together. All the best Alf.

Personally I prefer to remove the poles as described and then glue the two decks together afterwards. The poles aren't very realistic when viewed through the windows. I usually glue the decks together with Bostik solvent free adhesive as this avoids any chance of damage to the glazing or paintwork and it's fairly easy to dismantle the model again should the need arise.

• 11 months later...

Update. One more for the Eastbourne corporation fleet. This time the model started life as St Helens Corporation Leyland PD2 Tin front by OOC. This has been taken apart all the paint removed then a full respray. Just need to get a few more transfers to finish off . 37100824760_a5d396628d_c.jpgIMGP0424 by ALF WESTLEY, on Flickr

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next one for a respray is a EFE . Daimler fleetline in Birmingham city transport livery. This will be go'ing into Eastbourne corp livery as well.IMGP0394_zpsjaf7jzol.jpg             Now on the workbench all apart next job is to remove the paint. IMGP0396_zpsrpgxujgv.jpg

A Birmingham bus with an Arkells' ad?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a box full of repaints I did years ago. All pre-date by many years the liveries produced by EFE and Corgi.

Ashton-Under-Lyne Corporation colours that were used prior to 1955. Fitted one of my own cast radiator and repainted....

post-6680-0-42882300-1480710001.jpg

Oldham Corporation pre-war all- Leyland TD5. Fitted my own cast radiator, bonnet and front wings....

post-6680-0-84766300-1480710003.jpg

Oldham Corporation Leyland PD2 with Orion body. Brackenborough tin-front fitted and air-con pod. Full maroon livery still in vogue when these were delivered....

post-6680-0-66250100-1480710002.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

These are EFE models.They have had a Full respray in Eastbourne corp Livery. Interiors painted as well. AEC Regent in the old Blue and Primrose Around till 1975 in that livery.  Leyland Atlantean's in Off White. These will be Last one's for the EBC fleet.  37179253112_faec21072f_k.jpgIMGP0416 by ALF WESTLEY, on Flickr   37179274402_b1a8189615_k.jpgIMGP0413 by ALF WESTLEY, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I think they got confused with Ansell's.

Arkells is a family brewers from Swindon : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkell's_Brewery and https://www.arkells.com/

The BBB (best bitter beer), now rebranded as '3B', is a superior beer to anything Ansells produced, so probably no confusion.

BTW Ansells were taken over by Allied Breweries in the 60s and the Ansells brewery closed in the 80s.

G.

• 5 months later...

I wanted a Southdown NBC PD3 open top for my fleet. The only one in NBC livery is this model     om41906osf.jpg   42195552281_05ffb74167.jpgIMGP0445 by ALF WESTLEY, on Flickr                After four hours work all the decals where off . Now a code 3 model .Replaced with modelmaster and Mabex transfers.                                                                                               

Edited by crompton 33

There was one other variation offered: a PD3 in full Southdown livery but with NBC fleetnames.

Hi SR man. Yes had one of them a few years back then sold it.  As i model mid 1970's i need more in southdown NBC green . All the best Alf

Edited by crompton 33
  • Like 1