Bachmann Delays...will products ever arrive?

DaveClass47

I suspect there could also be shipping delays outside of Bachmann's control causing slipping of delivery dates for due soon items. The LBSC E4 is one of those that seems to be doing a magical mystery tour of the world in a shipping container somewhere.

With respect Jenny Emily shipping a product from China to the UK (or Europe) is incredibly easy. There is massive over capacity in the shipping market at the moment and freight costs are the lowest they've been in years as a result.  It'll cost Bachmann double to get it's container(s) of models from Felixstowe or Southampton to Leicestershire than the cost it'll pay to get them from China to the UK. It also only takes 22-28 days from most ports in China these days.  Whatever the problems are, shipping isn't one of them.  

Edited by admiles

• RMweb Premium

What people don't realise is it cost a few hundred pounds to ship a container from China to UK . As you say it probably costs more from Port to Warehouse! One of the side effects of these huge Containerships. It's also relatively easy to track them.

I'm not really worried about the delays in production however, I've virtually lost all interest or excitement in "new announcements" because of the sheer volume of new projects in the very long pipeline. Just wake me up when the models are "on the boat".

And there's another release being announced by Bachmann on May 30th: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98964-new-model-from-Bachmann/  :jester:

These production delays (from anyone) have never really bothered me.  Just more time to look forward to the new item and get on with other things, like detailing up the previously delayed items that have now arrived . . .

And when Bachmann unveil a complete High Output Track Laying System (a la WCML) in all it's 800 metre scale form we'll understand why all other projects have been delayed.

If the peak doesn't turn up in October, I'm writing to my MP !

Whatever, it's a toy train...

Split-centre headcode? In Blue. Yes. Got some skin in that game too.

• Like 1

oh.....who went and started this thread???

not enough models - moan

late models - moan

models arrive early - slight flaws - moan

models aplenty announced - delays - moan

we dont seriously expect Bachmann to win do we no matter what they do ...........

I used to have a catalogue from a major (ex) manufacturer promising classes 44, 45, 46, 90 and 91.

None of them ever came of course.

They cancelled the 90 and 91 when Hornby announced them too and then they started to run into financial problems and nothing new came between then and the inevitable end.

Their demise also meant that the Murphy 141 took well over 10 years to finally emerge, although this was probably a good thing in this particular case.  I'm sure an Italian 141 wouldn't have been in the same league as what was eventually produced.

• RMweb Gold

Without getting too off topic,the same Lima catalogue that pictured the V2 also showed some great looking BR/LMS upper quadrant signals that also never saw the light of day

• RMweb Premium

I have the Trix 1968 catalogue and I'm still waiting for their promised super detail 4mm scale class 47. I'm convinced my local dealer has promised to honour a pre-order price of £1/9/11 

I've got an old Pound note but can't help you with the shillings and pence.

not enough models - moan

late models - moan

models aplenty announced - delays - moan...

haven't announced any significant all-new to the market introduction for my modelling interest for at least three years now - moan...

It is a symptom of their success that the expectation is what it is. Having got us accustomed to a steady procession of well chosen subjects in model form, baby screams for his bottle when it's slightly late arriving.

I've got an old Pound note but can't help you with the shillings and pence.

Well I am good for 6s 4-3/4d. Find two more like me and we are nearly there on the 19/11d, I think an 8-3/4d discount on the original price as companesation for delay should be negotiable...

• RMweb Premium

oh.....who went and started this thread???

not enough models - moan

late models - moan

models aplenty announced - delays - moan

we dont seriously expect Bachmann to win do we no matter what they do ...........

You forgot my speciality....Huge price increase winge, moan!

You must admit though, even a glass half full guy would be seriously challenged in these circumstances

• RMweb Gold

With respect Jenny Emily shipping a product from China to the UK (or Europe) is incredibly easy. There is massive over capacity in the shipping market at the moment and freight costs are the lowest they've been in years as a result.  It'll cost Bachmann double to get it's container(s) of models from Felixstowe or Southampton to Leicestershire than the cost it'll pay to get them from China to the UK. It also only takes 22-28 days from most ports in China these days.  Whatever the problems are, shipping isn't one of them.  

Ah yes - provided that the box which is loaded onto a ship at a port in China is unloaded off the same ship in the UK during the same voyage.  If the box happens to be offloaded for some reason at some intermediate port, or is offloaded at, say, Rotterdam instead of Felixstowe (for example) the journey time is not quite so easy to forecast.  That I understand is one reason why Bachmann give fairly conservative information regarding the arrival time for goods they understand have left the factory in China.

I have the Trix 1968 catalogue and I'm still waiting for their promised super detail 4mm scale class 47. I'm convinced my local dealer has promised to honour a pre-order price of £1/9/11 

A certain Glasgow (now Sheffield) retailer wanted £5-19-6 for it...As I'd already got my fingers burnt with a Trix BR Standard 5 from the same source, I didn't bite.

I still haven't got a Brush Type 4...

• Like 1

It is also not unknown for the occasional container to end up at the bottom of Singapore harbour* - I know of someone to whom that did happen :D

*insert unexpected, wet destination of choice...

Very true. But I think it was more common a good many years ago before events were monitored on CCTV.

A certain port had a known habit of accidentally dropping containers if the contents were suspected of being of interest.

Bernard

Kernow Models is now showing the LBSC E4 with 3 of the 4 Modified Halls and the Brake Third Porthole coach and the Shakespeare set with Collett Hall as in stock. Was updated this afternoon. Looks like the shipment has arrived. Should also include the grain hoppers.

No grain hoppers in the latest batch of new releases received by us today, but you can also add the "Cumbrian Mountain Express" and "Landship Train" Train packs in 'N' gauge to the list.

And for those grumbling about delays. I also received today a Minichamps model of a LeMans 24 Porsche which was ordered for my customer in 2006! Unfortunately, he passed away some 6 years ago.

Ah,the powerful influence of RMWeb! Only a few days after a few grumbles about timescales,some long-awaited items reach our shores. Not a coincidence,surely?!

Looking forward to receiving my "Porthole" Bk 3rd - assuming,of course, that it's free of the faults that caused Bachmann's two previous rejections. I already have the bogie spacers ready to correct the assumed ride height problem. The intention was (and almost certainly still is) that it should replace a Bachmann Mk 1  - though the formation in question does look quite convincing the way it is.

DR

Ah,the powerful influence of RMWeb! Only a few days after a few grumbles about timescales,some long-awaited items reach our shores. Not a coincidence,surely?!

Unless Bachmann over-nighted a lot of merchandise, it definitely is! 

I was just reading through my June edition of BRM.   There is a feature in it showing the latest announcements, including those from Bachmann.

Ive finally seen this in Smiths today, how accurate do you think it is. I could not tell reading whether it was a journalists estimate or information shown by Bachmann?

Either way, I am very pleased to read the 70/8 are due later this year! (Bachmann does not list them on their site along side all other items due Nov/Dec)