New Atlas series

PhilJ W

May be worth a look at the gallery on the alleys website to see how a rail vehicle is carried on a trailer.

The trailer tends to seperate at the front so the train is hauled up,from the front the tractor unit has to run around and Is Used to haul the vehicle on and off the trailer.

Link to alleys below

http://www.allelys.co.uk/fleet/gallery.asp

• RMweb Premium

May be worth a look at the gallery on the alleys website to see how a rail vehicle is carried on a trailer.

The trailer tends to seperate at the front so the train is hauled up,from the front the tractor unit has to run around and Is Used to haul the vehicle on and off the trailer.

Link to alleys below

http://www.allelys.co.uk/fleet/gallery.asp

That is a 'detachable goose neck' trailer, more suitable if stock has to be loaded/unloaded in confined spaces. The one drawback is the time taken to load and unload as temporary rails have to be laid after the tractor unit has detached and removed before it is reconnected. If your on Facebook look up 'UK TRAINS ON TRUCKS' for pics of transporters.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah i nearly got blocked in crewe ETD for 2 hours in my van while they off loaded a class 92 from one of those trailers!

Luckily the driver stopped while he was reversing into position just to let me pass or id have been stuck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next one in the series arrived this morning in a big box...

0E9B08F0-1A93-4A24-B2FD-133C1EF46619.jpg

It would appear to be able to fit the free gift in, which is a set of coasters, unless they have had complaints of damaged boxes from the previous poor packaging?

C2E3D91C-6CDA-4475-95C0-37B8B28F96AF.jpg

The model is quite nice, very orange, will benefit from a bit of weathering, i do have somewhere i can place it on the layout thankfully

4FD57E12-112F-4BBE-8240-AF43339C0A03.jpg

The leaflet that came with it says the next free gift is a box to put the certificates in, i think i've thrown all mine away though!

Also says the airport tender is in the collection, i thought that had been dropped (or am i thinking of the helicopter), doesnt say which model will be next though

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Next one in the series arrived this morning in a big box...

0E9B08F0-1A93-4A24-B2FD-133C1EF46619.jpg

It would appear to be able to fit the free gift in, which is a set of coasters, unless they have had complaints of damaged boxes from the previous poor packaging?

C2E3D91C-6CDA-4475-95C0-37B8B28F96AF.jpg

The model is quite nice, very orange, will benefit from a bit of weathering, i do have somewhere i can place it on the layout thankfully

4FD57E12-112F-4BBE-8240-AF43339C0A03.jpg

The leaflet that came with it says the next free gift is a box to put the certificates in, i think i've thrown all mine away though!

Also says the airport tender is in the collection, i thought that had been dropped (or am i thinking of the helicopter), doesnt say which model will be next though

I received mine a couple of days ago as well. The cardboard box is certainly an improvement on the plastic bag. I think it is the helicopter thats been dropped from the line up, not too worried as its one I didn't want anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

next one arrived today, the konecranes stacker, no free gift this time round (thought there should have been a folder for the certificates)

pics to follow tomorrow but its pretty much the same as the oxford diecast model

more worryingly was the fact the courier (yodel) just opened our front door without knocking and put the parcel in the hallway, i was on the phone to my wife at the time and she thought i was having a laugh with her when she heard the door as she thought i was pretending to be in the van on the handsfree but really outside the house, she was a bit shocked and surprised to say the least when she realised it wasn't me

• RMweb Premium

It is the Oxford model. Mine also arrived this morning but delivered by the postie. I think the reason for the lack of a free gift is that the stacker was intended to be later in the series. This model was overdue by about three weeks so last week I telephoned Atlas to make enquiries and I was told that there were delays in their receiving the models from the producer but that my next model (the stacker) would be despatched immediately. This has made me suspect that another model was supposed to be number 4 and the stacker was moved forward in the series to replace it.

• RMweb Premium

It was discussed earlier in this thread about the class 66 model as to whether it would be R-T-R or a static model. I have just noticed on the paperwork that came with the Doosan it states 'More officially licenced die-cast metal models coming up'. This includes the class 66 so it looks as if it will be a static model. (My bold.)

Saw an ad for a new Atlas collection a few weeks back - "Great Trains of the World" in Z gauge.

Sent for the initial loss leader - thought £1.99 worth a punt.

It just dropped through my letterbox.

post-6880-0-46343600-1444989215.jpg

post-6880-0-79421100-1444989329.jpg

Nicely finished - even the wheels revolve (except for the driving wheels on the loco. Even my wife thought it was "sweet".

Others in the series (at a higher price) include Mallard + dynamometer car, a King with the CRE and a West Country on the Golden Arrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the one everyone (well ok not everyone) has been waiting for arrived this morning, 66411 "eddie the engine"

A very nice model it is too, plastic this time though, and on stilts, missing finer detail such as steps, and wipers are moulded on but the finish is great for the money, although i notice the S in stobart is a bit wonky on both sides

0899379C-078E-413B-BF4E-7C122C9A834C.jpg

BA1A1489-41D5-4244-9173-691F0555C640.jpg

Removed from the base and on the tracks, must have plastic wheels as it didnt short out the track when i put it on, freewheels lovely too

8EA292D4-21A1-4A64-B4DD-9831921002A7.jpg

As you can see its very high compared to the Bachmann 66 however it looks like a simple job to reduce the height as the bogies are on simple stalks, take a bit off the loco side and it should be ok as there is plenty of room between the bogies and body

23404FBC-BC2C-44B6-A31F-D58552C549BF.jpg

In all very pleased with it, a good base to start detailing

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Who's going to be first to motorise the 66? I did consider motorising the Matchbox Unimog snowplough using an N gauge motor and mechanism using the road wheels for traction and the rail wheels for pickup as it had a tilt which would have concealed the motor. If you want to motorise the Atlas one there are several road rail Unimogs that have box bodies just look at the 'On track plant' website.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Does that mean the wheels are narrower than 16.5mm gauge, or wider towards a truer scale gauge?

I got mine today and I measured the back-to-back as between 16.5 and 17 mm. So it looks as if they are to a 'true scale' gauge. It has the sort of details one would expect on a modern locomotive model, separately fitted handrails, flush glazing and separate windscreen wipers. The only fault I can find is the tyres look a bit skinny, all those that I have seen have far more 'chunky' tyres.

Just received the latest coach offer from Atlas. A Burlingham Seagull coach.  Really wanted this on my West Haven OO layout.  

Disappointed though as its advertised as being 1/76 scale both on all the literature and on their web site. But the actual model is larger at 1/72 scale and it really looks too big when sitting next or near to an EFE etc coaches, which are 1/76 scale models!  

Buck up your advertising Atlas or improve your Chinese manufacturers output to match the literature!

• RMweb Premium

Just received the latest coach offer from Atlas. A Burlingham Seagull coach.  Really wanted this on my West Haven OO layout.  

Disappointed though as its advertised as being 1/76 scale both on all the literature and on their web site. But the actual model is larger at 1/72 scale and it really looks too big when sitting next or near to an EFE etc coaches, which are 1/76 scale models!  

Buck up your advertising Atlas or improve your Chinese manufacturers output to match the literature!

The coach model is produced by Corgi and is part of their OOC range which as far as I am aware is 1/76 scale. The model should be 120 mm long by 32 mm wide to be 1/76 scale.