Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

This week's Hornby Engine Shed reveals a brand new 2016 item. http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/happy-birthday-frank-Hornby/ 

Hornby stated "So without further ado we are proud to announce, due to popular demand, that we are producing five different Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches - the C54, D95 right and left hand and E127 right and left hand. - We're pleased to say that all of these items are now available to Pre-Order."

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Do you happen to know what the detail level on these is going to be? Are they more basic as per Railroad, or more detailed like the Maunsells?

• RMweb Gold

Do you happen to know what the detail level on these is going to be? Are they more basic as per Railroad, or more detailed like the Maunsells?

These I believe are to be in the main range not Railroad.

• Like 2

Oh my! The perennial refrain of us Swindon disciples on the announcement of annual product ranges is finally vanquished, SUPERB!

This is the best news all year!

How many C54 corridor 3rds can I afford to pre-order? What can I get for re-mortgaging my house?

CoY

P.S If I'm going to sneak a moan in here, is why not a brake composite? If they're tooling up for handed brake thirds and composites, surely it can't have been much of a stretch to add in a BCK?

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

Looking at the first shots, they certainly look good, if they match the Hawksworths, and in various liveries, they could be bigger then the Maunsells!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

PS Has anyone at the big H seen a Bulleid coach?

PPS. Thanks Mr. muz for the update!

• RMweb Premium

Please forgive my ignorance, but did these coach types ever get off the GWR/WR onto Southern metals, and if so, where (and when)?

• RMweb Premium

Very worthy successors to the original Margate versions.

I'll buy some in shirtbutton livery, if offered, however they haven't said which GWR liveries are planned.

• RMweb Gold

I can still feel the horsehair stuffing in the cushions and see the sepia tints of Carbis Bay under the luggage racks.....well done Hornby.....best news of the year to date.

You should work in the marketing department Ian.Brilliant image that.Great news too.

some interesting photos on their site showing samples so far

Loving the High Tech scanning methods being used! Black Yellow Black Yellow Yellow..........oops! Ah well they won't notice will they ?

• RMweb Gold

Please forgive my ignorance, but did these coach types ever get off the GWR/WR onto Southern metals, and if so, where (and when)?

They went everywhere.As an example,my first memory of them was in August 1948 when I travelled from Southampton to Cardiiff on the daily Brighton to Cardiff train .I have a vivid impression of it bursting out of the tunnel with Schools 30933 at is head and my late father saying as it drew to a halt "King's Canterbury ". The stock was a rake of Colletts in chocolate and cream.BR was just eight months old.

They could be seen on all regions,including Scotland,before and after the war.

• Like 1

Never expected a range of GWR coaches...Well done Hornby. Just out of interest - are these coaches actually the same type that appear in the railroad range (with the working parcel van?)

yes. - expect a lot of them to appear on ebay over the coming months

Edited by rovex
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Kernow model Centre have also announced that that they are available to pre order already on their website. If at least 4 are ordered get £1 discount off each and loyalty points too! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kernow-Model-Rail-Centre/207521425956079?fref=nf 

They went everywhere.As an example,my first memory of them was in August 1948 when I travelled from Southampton to Cardiiff on the daily Brighton to Cardiff train .

They also would have worked on the Birkenhead to South Coast service via Reading. Whether you'd see a complete train formed of 57' Collett coaches is another matter. 

Sorry to ask a silly question but why left hand and right hand? what does that signify?

Two versions of the same brake coach, one with the corridor on the left hand side and the other with the corridor on the right. So that a complete set of coaches can be marshalled together with the corridor on the same side, and the brake compartment at each end.

I do like the way that they've announced these after they've got hold of drawings, measured up the real thing and produced 3D printed samples. So they are actually announcing new models, rather than a vague intention to start research in 5 years time like certain other firms do. 

• Like 2

Sorry to ask a silly question but why left hand and right hand? what does that signify?

Isn't it due to the fact that the GWR were the most thoughtful railway company in the land, and arranged the coaches so that it's passengers would always have the best view available while travelling......

Well blow me down - I didn't see those coming!  Very, very welcome indeed and if they are as good as the Hawksworths I shall be buying them in multiple!  They certainly look to be to the same standard as for example the grab handles are not moulded in but there are dimples for seperate mouldings to be fitted - very promising!  Post-war GWR livery for me please - to match the Hawksworths!

If Horrible Hall was to be upgraded to the current highest standard we would really be getting somewhere!

Gerry

P.S.  How about a 53xx 2-6-0 to the current highest standard to go with them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it due to the fact that the GWR were the most thoughtful railway company in the land, and arranged the coaches so that it's passengers would always have the best view available while travelling......

Pretty much! Well, it was to keep the corridor along the same side of the train throughout, so compartments facing the coast at Dawlish? More likely the GWR would face the compartments to the north side to save the sun fading the fabrics!

• Like 1