Britmod-00 2015 Challenge Entry - Round and Over

Dungrange

Okay, this is the first time that I have decided to take up the RMWeb Challenge.  Why do I want part of a modular layout?

1.    I would like a short test track (for home use);

2.    I would like a small scenic diorama for photographic purposes; and

3.    I never seem to get anything finished, so a relatively small project stands a better chance.

Building a diorama / test track as a module that could form part of something larger has a certain appeal.  However, it needs to be relatively straightforward if I am to finish by the end of the year, so I have decided on a plain track scenic module.  I figure that a curved module is more versatile to connect straight ‘action’ modules at a meet, so the track plan will be a 90 degree double track curved module of nominal four foot radius.

The name has been chosen to reflect the track geometry and the fact that the principal scenic feature will be an over-bridge.  This will straddle the 45 degree baseboard join so that the two halves of my module can be reversed.  Thus, when in use at home for photographic purposes, and as a test track, it will have a half relief over-bridge at either end which could be used as a scenic break to a fiddle yard at each end.  As such it could be considered a viable (but pointless) layout in its own right.  However, in use at a modular meet, it would be reversible to have the over-bridge in the centre and two bland ends at ground level for connection to other modules.

The over-bridge has arrived from LCUT Creative (www.lcut.co.uk) and they kindly produced some bespoke parts to allow me to extend the span and construct it in two halves as desired.  Construction of this feature has now commenced.  Track work, along with alignment dowels and adjustable feet has arrived from C&L Finescale (www.finescale.org.uk).  The track on this module will be code 82 flat-bottom rail held in the Exactoscale concrete sleeper Fast track bases.

Thanks to assistance from a couple of RMWebbers (principally Steve-e and Dutch_Master), I am now clear on exactly how this is going to be wired and I’ve ordered the components I need to get started from various E-bay sellers.  This will be wired with four separate power bus wires along the length of the module (two red and two black) so that it can be used in an analogue set up (since I don’t currently use DCC), but with the necessary sockets underneath the baseboards to tie the appropriate power buses together before the edge of the baseboard (where there will only be one set of binding posts for the connection to the next DCC module).

I just need laser-cut baseboards to be delivered from Tim Horn in a few more weeks and I’m ready to make a start.

My next update and first progress photographs will probably be in late July, as progress will likely be slow until then.  I have another Challenge entry to progress under the Build a Locomotive Challenge (albeit in my case it will be a Plasser and Theurer tamper), but I think that this Challenge entry will take priority as it is the one that I am most enthusiastic about.

• 5 months later...

Well I'm only three months late in posting my end of summer update!  Unfortunately, for various reasons, I have not made the progress that I was hoping, but even although this module is now unlikely to be 'finished' by the Challenge deadline (which is only two months away), it will still hopefully be operationally complete by the end of the year, even if the scenery probably isn't.  However, I do still intend to complete this for 2016.

The baseboards, laser cut by Tim Horn, have been assembled and bolted together and Woodland Scenic's Track bed has been glued down, thus committing me to a double track curve.  I've been painting the pandrol clips on the Exactoscale sleepers a nice rusty colour in advance of laying the track and I have already assembled the connecting wires with banana plugs on either end.  My priority is to solder the rail to the C&L Track end protectors and the power bus, so that I can start track laying.

I'll post some pictures once there is something meaningful to show, but this project is still 'alive' (just).  

• 1 year later...

Well, as expected this kind of stalled last year when there seemed little interest in the modular approach, but I will complete it at some point given that the baseboards are built and all I need is to fix the track down and then have a go at experimenting with scenic techniques.  However, what time I have had over the last year has either been spent on here or a longer term layout plan, which I have been doing some work on recently.  One day I'll start a thread, but I need a bit more progress to be made first.  At least the track plan is finalised - I just need to start building it.

Archived