Great Central Railway news

andyram

Here are a couple of shots from last week, taken on a non-running day, which show the quality of what is being done in odd corners of the GCR. There is much more.

attachicon.gifQuorn goods.jpg

The small GCR goods shed at Quorn with the rebuilt corrugated iron shed. Great subject for a small model, charmingly restored.

attachicon.gifMountsorrel.jpg

The new halt at the end of the relayed Mountsorrel branch, the trackwork on this line is also impressive as it snakes through the woods and it will be a great ride or location to photograph demonstration freight trains.

Dava

Does anybody know why the bricks are missing from the corner of the shed?

I think the argument could quite reasonably be made that once the the GCR and GCR(N) are connected, the original vision of the Main Line Steam Trust (namely, to preserve a decent length of double track mainline between Leicester and Nottingham) will have been achieved. 

Speaking purely personally, I don't see that extending the line from Leicester North to Leicester Central would repay the expense and labour it would require, as the resulting line would just be 'another' inner-city railway line (the only difference being the motive power)- and they're not exactly picturesque or photogenic or anything that attracts your typical tourist.  The same argument could be made against any putative extension north into Nottingham from Ruddington (assuming a new route were found that avoids the Nottingham tram system.) 

Another point to consider; how long is too long?  I rode the full length of the Welsh Highland last weekend (which clocks in at around 25-26 miles) and even as a railway enthusiast my attention was beginning to wane by about halfway along the return journey (the full round trip takes about six and a half hours).  Granted that's my own personal failing and not the fault of the railway but I think it's a valid question to ask how your typical tourist will react when presented with a railway 20-some-odd miles in length, the first and last few miles being through inner-city areas, and being told that it will be an all day trip.  Do you think he'll be able to keep the enthusiasm going for the full journey?  

Growing up in north Leicester, we regularly used to walk into town and follow part of the old GC. In the 1970s and early 80s a steam line to Central would have made a pretty interesting journey, at least for me, as a lot of the old urban cityscape was still in place. Not really anymore, as the inevitable redevelopment has happened.

Even if it were possible to rebuild all the viaducts and embankments, and relocate countless businesses from the trackbed. The chance of returning steam to Leiecester Central has long gone.

I think the argument could quite reasonably be made that once the the GCR and GCR(N) are connected, the original vision of the Main Line Steam Trust (namely, to preserve a decent length of double track mainline between Leicester and Nottingham) will have been achieved. 

Speaking purely personally, I don't see that extending the line from Leicester North to Leicester Central would repay the expense and labour it would require, as the resulting line would just be 'another' inner-city railway line (the only difference being the motive power)- and they're not exactly picturesque or photogenic or anything that attracts your typical tourist.  The same argument could be made against any putative extension north into Nottingham from Ruddington (assuming a new route were found that avoids the Nottingham tram system.) 

Another point to consider; how long is too long?  I rode the full length of the Welsh Highland last weekend (which clocks in at around 25-26 miles) and even as a railway enthusiast my attention was beginning to wane by about halfway along the return journey (the full round trip takes about six and a half hours).  Granted that's my own personal failing and not the fault of the railway but I think it's a valid question to ask how your typical tourist will react when presented with a railway 20-some-odd miles in length, the first and last few miles being through inner-city areas, and being told that it will be an all day trip.  Do you think he'll be able to keep the enthusiasm going for the full journey?  

I think that the Great Central is addressing this in having visitor attractions spread along the line, with the NRM outpost to be built at the Southern end.  This means that you will take a run on the train, have a break while you visit the museum and take a different train back.  A lot of preserved lines have everything concentrated at one end, which sometimes deters visitors from actually travelling on the trains as you get on, go to the other end and there is nothing to do but stay on the train to come back.  This is OK on a shorter run but not on a longer line.

Jim

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Returning to actual news about the line. This week sees the final week of the railway's "Teddy Bear's Picnic" event. The railway will operate Tuesday - Thursday with six departures each day. Trains leave Loughborough at 10.15, 11.15, 12.15 etc until 3.15. Departures from Leicester are on the hour from 11am - 4pm. The 2pm service being the final Leicester - Loughborough return.

The railway is due to operate Ivatt 2 46521 and 8F 48624 on all three days.

• RMweb Premium

The site was on an ex Council refuse tip and the ground was too soft to support the construction of the Workington MPD. So we won't see that one anytime soon. Personally I think Ruddington could be developed as a restoration & maintenance centre for all the diesel power, leaving the steam at Loughborough.

Dava

Thought people may find this interesting. Latest on the bridge situation.

GCR plc Website Statement 17 August 2015

GCR plc met with Network Rail on Friday 14th August to discuss the implication of the Government’s ‘pause’ of the electrification programme.

Currently Network Rail are examining the impact of the Government’s recent announcement and a nationwide review is underway. This is expected to report in September.

Meanwhile GCR plc is considering its options to ensure that the project stays on target. Furthermore Network Rail confirmed that they remain fully supportive of the Bridging the Gap project and are doing all in their power to ensure that the current pause on the electrification programme does not interfere with GCR plc’s original plans.

Part of Network Rail’s assessment will involve looking at which elements of their upgrade programme will still go ahead – such as bridge reconditioning work. However a timescale for this is not yet known.

Currently, GCR plc has been working hard with its Project Managers FJD to complete the preliminary surveys and studies on the rest of the 500 metre ‘Gap’ and if there are further delays on the MML bridge project, other elements of the scheme can be quickly brought forward. These include constructing the new embankment, refurbishing the Canal Bridge, building new abutments and installing one of our existing bridge decks over Railway Terrace.

#Just to add some further information. The land adjacent to Loughborough Central station has been sold by the council for housing. This means the railway will shortly have to move the two bridge decks they are stored on it.

Thought people may find this interesting. Latest on the bridge situation.

#Just to add some further information. The land adjacent to Loughborough Central station has been sold by the council for housing. This means the railway will shortly have to move the two bridge decks they are stored on it.

One wonders how long it will be after building the houses that the new residents start complaining about the noise, smoke and smell of the railway next door and start bringing court actions even though the railways been there about 120 years

• RMweb Premium

The land is the former Goods Yard, anticipated this would happen but means the GCR loses any prospects of regaining access to the goods shed itself & storage space it could have provided.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

The land is the former Goods Yard, anticipated this would happen but means the GCR loses any prospects of regaining access to the goods shed itself & storage space it could have provided.

Dava

It also means they lose the potential to solve one of the bigger turn-offs as far as Loughborough is concerned - lack of off-road parking.  And, if we're being blunt about it their present stock/loco storage space at Loughborough is far from ideally arranged with a need too for a decent amount of undercover stock storage.

Dava

It also means they lose the potential to solve one of the bigger turn-offs as far as Loughborough is concerned - lack of off-road parking.  And, if we're being blunt about it their present stock/loco storage space at Loughborough is far from ideally arranged with a need too for a decent amount of undercover stock storage.

From what I understand, the G.C was offered the chance to purchase the land at the time of sale, but the price asked was heavily inflated. As far as storage is concerned, the G.C is in a similar position to many railways in having to make the most of the space they have.

As regards car parking please don't forget the large car park at Quorn and Woodhouse station. Brown signs direct visitors to this site off the Loughborough ring road.

This week the railway is again running Tuesday - Thursday and is advertising an all steam two train service. Trains depart Loughborough hourly from 10.15 until 3.15.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might have been mentioned earlier/elsewhere? but I noticed last week that houses are going up at Woodthorpe whilst attending the Diesel Gala - no doubt they will pack them in right up to the line/railway border and spoil a lovely part of the line for watching/photographing the trains.