Amazing BR blue footage

RandyWales

Two videos of stunning quality from the period....

BR Blue Nostalgia and classic tracks for Pop Pickers....

Randall

It's great footage, but... Isn't that British Transport Films material, ripped from the DVD released by the British Film Institute, but with the ambient sound removed and replaced by annoying pop music?

Paul

I think just about every commercially available railway DVD has been ripped (in whole or part) and uploaded to Youtube or equivalent at some point, until the copyright lawyers catch up with them.

I wonder what the legal position is for this site, given that the footage is displayed here and not just a link?

I was really impressed by the quality, as most films I've seen of my favourite era have been more or less amateur status using equipment that was contemporary with the time. This is obviously high-end professional, and I've not seen it before, hence my delight.

With regard to copyright, I did actually insert only a link in my post. The site software must do the rest.

Randall

Hi all,

It always amazes me viewing film from the 70's by just how much 1st Class coaching stock there is on the trains!

Must have been a lot richer clientel in those days....

Thanks

I think it was more likely due to (pun alert) ideas above their station by senior railway management of the time.

If you read late 60s/early 70s railway magazines, especially Modern Railways you will get the sense that BR saw themselves as comparable competition to internal air routes, which was in some ways a logical move to make, given the time taken to get from city centres to airports.

However, this was before the real boom in package holidays and air travel for the masses, and so the main users of air travel (especially internal flights) were businessmen.

So BR piled into the high speed, first class, executive travel philosophy, assuming that the common people had bought their own cars or went by coach.

I think they envisaged companies pre-booking whole compartments for their senior staff on a regular basis. However, if it did work it was not for very long, and many trains could be seen whizzing around with three or four empty first class carriages, while second class was jam packed.

• Informative/Useful 1

Total nostalgia for me, thoroughly enjoyed these films for what they represent. Difficult to watch them without bringing back so many memories ( far too many for me to put into words here ) but it has certainly made my Saturday evening a whole lot better.

A big thank you from me for posting them.

Off to bed now with my transistor radio and ear piece sheets ready to pull over my head !!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great footage. Thankyou for sharing.

There is some very nice footage on the WR at various locations.

There is a very interesting shot in the first film about 17mins in of a Warship at Teignmouth. The last coach is an LNER Gresley buffet in maroon along with a mix of blue/grey and maroon mk1's. :sungum:

I already have a blue/grey Gresley buffet

post-6779-0-56350700-1433577375.jpg

post-6779-0-98794800-1433577410.jpg

...............mmmmm wonder if i should have a maroon ???? :scratchhead:

Rob

• Like 4

Two videos of stunning quality from the period....

BR Blue Nostalgia and classic tracks for Pop Pickers....

Randall

This is awesome Transition Era footage, well at least the first one is.  Not tackled the second yet.  Thanks for sharing!

Fascinating stuff.

Some interesting mixed DMU liveries in the 1960s footage, and I loved the North British Bo-Bo shot, it appears, from the back of a truck. Also liked the electro-diesel with 3 or 4 rather odd wagons behind it. Ferry stock?

• 4 months later...

Great stuff. I bought a chromecast thingy last week so I'm watching it on the tv.

One question I have is, what are the yellow squares on some (WR?) coach sides?

Angus

EDIT: watched the 2nd video, even better! 27s Crainlarich Lower timber trains, 27s Edinburgh/Glasgow push pulls, double headed 50s on Beattock, Blue 303s taking me to/from Central (with a wee bit of imagination!) and School/College, #sigh

Edited by AngusDe

Hallo,

found another great clip of BR Blue. This time cab ride from Euston after which some clips of trains at Berkhamsted

Hope you enjoy it

es grüßt

pc

On a roll here, I've just watched this one too, again brilliant.

What's striking to me is the amount of freight and parcels/van traffic being hauled by ac electrics, and possibly related the number of 08s passed.

Angus

It's great footage, but... Isn't that British Transport Films material, ripped from the DVD released by the British Film Institute, but with the ambient sound removed and replaced by annoying pop music?

Paul

Yes I think your right, I have this footage with proper sound on 'Diesel & Electrics On 35mm' which are made up from BTF & other film & TV sources.

Great footage. Thankyou for sharing.

There is some very nice footage on the WR at various locations.

There is a very interesting shot in the first film about 17mins in of a Warship at Teignmouth. The last coach is an LNER Gresley buffet in maroon along with a mix of blue/grey and maroon mk1's. :sungum:

I already have a blue/grey Gresley buffet

attachicon.gifGresley Buffet W9135 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifGresley Buffet W9135.jpg

...............mmmmm wonder if i should have a maroon ???? :scratchhead:

Rob

I will look after your blue/grey one then?  :jester:

Does anyone know what a Freightliner was doing at Pontypridd (5mins 50 on the second video)? And it's a 6 wagon set - I thought they only ran in sets of 5 and 2. Any ideas?

David

I've seen that video before and as I am from Pontypridd I doubt that it is Ponty. It does not look like anywhere around here. Maybe it's Pontypool? There are a lot of Pontys in this area. Track south of Pontypridd at that time was 4 track all the way downs Radyr and there was , as far as I am aware, no Freightliner traffic on this route.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I've seen that video before and as I am from Pontypridd I doubt that it is Ponty. It does not look like anywhere around here. Maybe it's Pontypool? There are a lot of Pontys in this area.

i told my stepdad he had made a mistake going into cardiff to get a train to pontyprydd to collect a van he'd bought the other week as he'd travelled from shrewsbury and passed through pontyprydd and new inn station so wasn't far from there at that point, it was only 2 days later while road learning the route i realised its actually pontyPOOL and new inn!