The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The real W1A....

Penlan

A friend went to an Education Dept., meeting in Cornwall County Hall yesterday,

and due to the confidential nature of the meeting (clients 'special needs'), a secure meeting room had been booked.

Arrived, swipe card to unlock the door, nothing, try one of the other swipe cards, nothing...
Slight air of panic ensues...

Check with front desk "Oh, it's all right, the person who booked the room just needs to swipe their card through".
That person was called something like an 'Events Co-ordinator and Liason Officer' (aka a booking clerk),  and they were on a flexi-day's leave...
In the end they found enough spare chairs to enable them to hold the meeting in a corridor.
...... and as they sat down, somebody said "That's all good then"... There was an ear piercing yell....

Now I know, surely somebody else must have been able to open that door,

Security for example, but apparently the NUJW (National Union of Jobs Worth's) followed receptions line.....

"That's all good then" is a W1A phrase, when all's ?????

After 28 years nursing I spent my last 11 years in the NHS working in the IT dept,

I came across all the characters from W1A during that time. The worst were "communications" and don't get me started about project managers (how can someone who knows nothing about a project manage it??) and consultants. (medical consultants think they are gods but these...)

• RMweb Premium

My role before retirement was "project manager" although it wasn't my job title. I began by writing the specifications and programme of works and ended with a report and archiving the results. It was also sometimes necessary to take over a project begun by somebody else and complete it. But I had come up through the ranks as it were. However we had plenty of dealings with people appointed as, and sometimes trained as, "managers" who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, let alone an event in a brewery.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Strictly speaking, "so that's all good, then" was used by the character Ian Fletcher during the pre-Olympics pastiche 2012; it's his character that, post-Olympics, joined the BBC and took the phrase with him in W1A.  The more obvious BBC-isms are the whole "Yes, no..." thing and "Brilliant, just brilliant..."

Apologies if this takes pedantry to a whole new level...

cheers

Ben A.

My role before retirement was "project manager" although it wasn't my job title. I began by writing the specifications and programme of works and ended with a report and archiving the results. It was also sometimes necessary to take over a project begun by somebody else and complete it. But I had come up through the ranks as it were. However we had plenty of dealings with people appointed as, and sometimes trained as, "managers" who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, let alone an event in a brewery.

Then there's seagull management ......

• RMweb Premium

Yes we used to have senior officers of Assistant Chief Constable rank and above who would appear for a year or two then depart to another force on further promotion. They were initially christened butterflies but I always thought that seagulls was a better description because you know what they all leave behind for others to clear up.

Jamie

Archived