Modified RTR - Caprotti BR Standard 5 73129

Here is my more or less complete standard caprotti 5mt made using the above cam boxes and Hornby duke motion with other smaller parts taken from the donor model, modified and put back on.

The lubricators were taken from above the slide bars either side and the running plate filled in. A gap was then created at the rear to mount the lubricators on the rhs of the loco between the drivers and the original pipe work was teased into a different shape to resemble the different plumbing on the caprotti locos. The steam pipes were moved forward on the smokebox. The whistle was removed from the smokebox (this has still to be replaced)

Turning to the lower half, the necessary parts of the motion were retained and everything else got the snip and the motion brackets were modified and re-shaped to taked the duke motion. I did originally try golden arrow models duke motion but the Hornby motion is much finer in conparison and also more flexible.

The only part i have not and indeed wont model is the lubricator drive on the rhs rear sriving wheel. If i did then the loco chassis and body would be permanently attached. Or at least a soldering iron would be needed every time i needed to take the loco apart so, i will live without this.

Anyway here is the loco almost complete

Thanks for posting Gary, your model looks great and I'm glad you like my camboxes !

Unfortunately I've not really had the time to do much modelling over the last few months so my model is in the same state it was way back in February ! I should make progress again when I go home for summer though.

The Hornby DoG valve gear looks really good, a lot better than the golden arrow gear I've got at the moment. Where did you get your set from ? The gear doesn't seem to be listed on Hornby's site and the only other place I've found wants £18 for a set !

Thanks, Sam

Thanks for posting Gary, your model looks great and I'm glad you like my camboxes !

Unfortunately I've not really had the time to do much modelling over the last few months so my model is in the same state it was way back in February ! I should make progress again when I go home for summer though.

The Hornby DoG valve gear looks really good, a lot better than the golden arrow gear I've got at the moment. Where did you get your set from ? The gear doesn't seem to be listed on Hornby's site and the only other place I've found wants £18 for a set !

Thanks, Sam

sam

the duke motion was from trackside cars on ebay at eleven quid which isnt too bad. i will have the loco running at the perth show this weekend so will get some better snaps of the loco.

gary

The only part i have not and indeed wont model is the lubricator drive on the rhs rear sriving wheel. If i did then the loco chassis and body would be permanently attached. Or at least a soldering iron would be needed every time i needed to take the loco apart so, i will live without this.

That's where a spare Bachmann eccentric crank comes in useful.

Archived