Networker EMUs in N Gauge

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Paul

Looking very good for a test print.

I still cant make up my mind iseparate glazing or allinone is the best option IMHO.

The glazing that you did for the original 165's worked quite well.

i presume that the Networker is the normal FUd and is actually more transparent thnan it looks form the photos?

I do like the idea of the Commonwealth bogies. Look forward to how you get on with them. I am going to buy a rake of the new Farish mk2's in NSE to go with my 47. Will have to run a charter on Banbury!

• RMweb Gold

Ok so out of the pack here are two shells.  As you can see one has some nasty material across on the front whilst the other doesn't.  I'm not sure if this is the FUD or support matrial actually.  If this wasn't a test print I'd care more and would be demanding a reprint from Shapeways for this, giving this picture as good evidence of print/clean up error at their end.  Shapeways can be a bit "it's a design fault, not ours" sometimes so good comparative photo evidence like this helps as it clearly shows how they can do it right.

Here's a pic of one of the underframe/chassis parts.  I wanted to show this as again it's good evidence of how sometimes things don't print well.  You can clearly see one end has bowed but the other hasn't.

Hmmm some of that printing is nasty - like you I would complain if it wasn't a test print.  I wouldn't worry too much about the underframe/chassis bowing as the bodyshell should help straighten it out.

It is frustrating when your (rather splendid!) design is spoilt by the variability of Shapeways.

Ok, so shell/car orientation.  In the 3d renders I mentioned the number/arrow system, and this has worked nicely.  First pic is the two cars and chassis.  The numbers and arrows are nicely visible.

That is a really neat way of making things simple and obvious.

Trouble with FUD/FXD is it's very brittle and won't flex like the plastic you find on RTR bogies, and as such I think I will infact redesign the bogie to make it a kit that you build up around the axle.  I'd appreciate anythoughts on this one.

Also due to the brittleness I'm not convinced the NEM pockets will work.  They've printed well but I think after a bit of coupling wear they'll break at the coupler exit point.  I wonder if a simple platform for people to put something Dapol NEM pockets standard Rapido pockets on might be a better option.

I think that you are right on both counts - if you remember the TPM kit bogies they had a central bolster and the sideframes fitted into slots in the bolster - a bit fiddly to build sometimes but should avoid the brittleness of FUD/FXD.

I'd agree with you on leaving a suitable platform for people to add their own couplings and the Dapol NEM pocket seems a very sensible solution.

I'll be interested to see how the windows come out when you have cleaned and painted the unit.

FUD/FXD is often much easier to photo when it has a light dust of primer on.

Paul - It was great to meet you at TINGS and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

There was a guy on here who printed some Australian MUs in FUD with integral glazing - IIRC he varnished the glazing and it made the FUD much less frosty.

Here you go: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85901-australian-vlocity-dmu-in-n-scale-with-3d-printed-mechanisms/

Cheers, Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, that looks wonderful. Personally I wouldn't mind just painting the windows a dark grey to simulate tinted glass.... That's just marvelous. If you feel that making the windows out of clear plasticard is a tough job, then try having them 3D printed in clear plastic my luxexcel.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

It does look the part in terms of shape and some of the details - especially skirts, lights and bogies, look great.

I think you're right to have focussed on the glazed areas as having potential for improvement.

Also, I think the wheels you're using (purely for display, I am sure) are too big.  Networkers have quite small wheels (840mm diameter I think - scale 5.7mm) and I think smaller wheels would lower the body and improve the way it "sits" on the track.  I did wonder whether it would be possible, with smaller wheels, to reduce the gap between the bogie and the body which is noticeable above the suspension air bag.

cheers

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Paul

I have fitted Tomix Scharfenberg couplers ot the cabs ends of the Farish 168s, the ones similar to the Dapol Voyaers and 156's. They are body mounted and will go round 11.5" radius curves and through Peco standard radius turnouts.

I have left the intercoach connections  bogie mounted using the Tomix ones that are a straight swap with the Rapido coupler.

Paul, that looks wonderful. Personally I wouldn't mind just painting the windows a dark grey to simulate tinted glass.... That's just marvelous. If you feel that making the windows out of clear plasticard is a tough job, then try having them 3D printed in clear plastic my luxexcel.

Tamiya X-19 Smoke is convincing over white primer for glazing.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

If you have a Farish Freightliner hopper or Castle cement bogie wagon, try those wheels.  They should look better, as the prototypes are, I think, the same diameter as the Networker wheels - around 5.7mm.

Mk1s on B1 or Commonwealth bogies have, I think, 3'6 diameter wheels (1066mm) which are scale 7.2mm diameter.  B4 bogies (Mk2s and some Mk1s) have smaller wheels - 3', or scale 6.2mm - so would be an improvement.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

BLMA do wheel sets with fine flanges whihc I have used in US rolling stock on Peco code 55 track.

If I get chance in next few days I wil see if the axle lengths suit Farish bogies.

You can order direct from BLMA. Cant recall the costs of them though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

The NGS buys in its wheels from the same sources so no savings there - there are a few choices but all around the same price.  PD sell in smaller quantities as well. Farish sold disc wagon wheels are 6.1 or 6.2mm IIRC. Bob Davies (N Train) does some 6.1mm wheels as well.

Cheers, Mike

Archived