Video's on working with Traincontroller

RudyB

Hi John,

Thanks for your nice feedback, it's appreciated.

I haven't found out why the schedule did not restart when exiting edit mode, while I clicked 'Yes' on the question that popped up. I have had this happen several times. It seems that the schedules that are on a waiting time in a block do not get restarted.

Is this something you (or anyone else) can confirm? If so, then I'll write an email to Juergen Freiwald to let him know. Then maybe he can change it in a future versions, or, if this behavior is on purpose, explain why?

• Like 1

I am genuinely puzzled by this post. Rudy's thread is an excellent series of videos of how to set up Train controller not a sales pitch.....it's apparent from the first video that Rudy is using Gold. He answered your first post by giving you all the links you need to determine the prices of the three levels and the differences between them.........although I do wonder whether you might have been already aware of this.......in which case ,of course, my attempt to help you was rather naive

Nobody is trying to sell you anything......so what is the problem?

Yes, I was perfectly aware that there are price differences already, and what they are, but was concerned that there had been no mention of price anywhere in the thread, so anyone just stumbling across it as a topic might assume that all this capability costs nothing, as with JMRI. Having already had the software demonstrated to me, I felt no need to look at the videos as I am unlikely to use TrainController myself - especially at the price being asked for the gold version.

Hi Gordon

JMRI is a very capable system offering lots of useful features and functions. As you say it's free and well supported via its own community and on here by some of its developers.

There are other software packages as well ranging from free to a few pounds etc.

I hope you find the right one for yourself that offers the functionality you need at the right price. Have fun.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't found out why the schedule did not restart when exiting edit mode, while I clicked 'Yes' on the question that popped up. I have had this happen several times. It seems that the schedules that are on a waiting time in a block do not get restarted.

Is this something you (or anyone else) can confirm? If so, then I'll write an email to Juergen Freiwald to let him know. Then maybe he can change it in a future versions, or, if this behavior is on purpose, explain why?

Hi Rudy

I am afraid I have to stop schedules quite frequently    :drag:  although generally I start them again rather than restart them. When I do select the restart option it seems to work but I have never tried it on a shuttle.......I wonder if its the shuttle function that fails......or that you started it in reverse?

I ask this because in the video although the schedule is shown as running when you select edit, the train has actually arrived in the destination block and the schedule is in the process of closing down.

It might be worth testing when the train is in an intermediate block.

Kind Regards

John

Hi Gordon

JMRI is a very capable system offering lots of useful features and functions. As you say it's free and well supported via its own community and on here by some of its developers.

There are other software packages as well ranging from free to a few pounds etc.

I hope you find the right one for yourself that offers the functionality you need at the right price. Have fun.

I don't need any software like this for myself, certainly for the foreseeable future. Too busy developing hardware modules and associated PIC code to get round to actually being in a position to run a layout of my own.

Even if I did I am more likely to create something specific to my own needs, as for me it is all part of the interest. It was the main reason why I bought and built a Compukit UK101 kit computer some 35 years ago...

John, I've not performed any focused testing on it yet, but it happened several times that a schedule did not restart after returning from edit mode. This always was when the train had reached its destination and was on a waiting time. When interrupted at intermediate blocks, schedeules always restart fine. There seems to be a pattern here. I'll do a few dedicated tests and if it is repeatable I'll ask Juergen about it and see what he can say on this.

• Like 1

Traincontroller 11: Create Schedules in the Dispatcher Window

In the previous video we created shuttle and cycle Schedules with the Auto Train Toolbar. We were able to save them, they ended up in the Schedules tab of the Dispatcher Window.

It is possible to create and edit Schedules directly in the Dispatcher window. This even gives some more possibilities and some more 'precise' control than the Auto Train Toolbar, which is why I prefer this way of creating Schedules.

Here's the link to Traincontroller 11: Create Schedules in the Dispatcher Window

22480524qf.jpg

Edited by RudyB
  • Like 2

Rubyb

thanks for the videos. :no:

I have had gold for a number of years without actually operating a train past profiling :beee:

I always struggle to get my head around the CV setting I need to set.

John Dew

hello again, I followed your videos on YMR and they helped me get into things(some time ago). maybe you should link your tutorial in with Rubyb. I am just finishing the wiring and points for my layout so will start a thread soon. this is my third layout I have wired up and so far when I plug things in they work.

Hi caenmatt. There will be a video on speed profiling, along with setting CV values. It's probably going to be video number 16.

The summary is:

Tune CV2, min speed, such that you get a visually appealing crawl speed at speed step 1. You may need to switch 'load compensation' on, please refer to your DCC decoder manual for that.

Tune CV5, max speed, to a visually appealing maximum speed on your layout. If wanted, it can be tuned to get the prototype scale speed. Personally I always find those much too high for my small layout. It's a just preference what you like to use here.

Tune CV6, mid speed, half way between CV2 and CV5, or if you like a little bend in the speed curve at a value somewhat below that.

Tune CV3 and CV4, acc. and dec., to 0. If the train visually jerks between speed steps, increase the values a bit, but try to stay as low as possible. TC is going to take care of 'mass simulation' and will generate a smooth acc. and dec..

That should do the trick for Traincontroller speed profiling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

John Dew

hello again, I followed your videos on YMR and they helped me get into things(some time ago). maybe you should link your tutorial in with Rubyb. I am just finishing the wiring and points for my layout so will start a thread soon. this is my third layout I have wired up and so far when I plug things in they work.

Hi Caenmatt

Wow that was a long time ago......that YMR is now rather out of date.......Rudy is doing a far better job :sungum: 

Regards from Vancouver

John

Traincontroller 11: Create Schedules in the Dispatcher Window

In the previous video we created shuttle and cycle Schedules with the Auto Train Toolbar. We were able to save them, they ended up in the Schedules tab of the Dispatcher Window.

It is possible to create and edit Schedules directly in the Dispatcher window. This even gives some more possibilities and some more 'precise' control than the Auto Train Toolbar, which is why I prefer this way of creating Schedules.

Here's the link to Traincontroller 11: Create Schedules in the Dispatcher Window

22480524qf.jpg

hello Ruby

Where can i find  your video on speed profiling please

• Like 1

Traincontroller 12: Complex Operations via Schedule Successors.

In the previous video we created a shuttle- and a cycle operation in the Dispatcher window. These are relatively simple operations, based on just one schedule that repeats itself.

More complex operations can be built using the 'Successor' tab of a schedule. Here other schedules can be listen that will start, after the previous schedule has reached its destination block.

Multiple schedules van be listed in the successor tab. If so, a random selection can will be made, or they can be picked in sequence.

With any schedule it is possible to add one or more 'operations' that will be carried out at the start or at the end of the schedule, like for instance switch the cabin light off, switch the headlights on, sound the horn ... anything.

It is also possible to add start conditions to a schedule. The schedule only starts (or is selected as a successor) when all the listed conditions (with logical functions like AND / OR) are met. This can vary from checking the status of a toggle switch on the switchboard, to the position of a turnout, to the state of a signal, to the presence of a certain train in a certain block, and more.

With these versatile and extended sequences of schedules, even with (complex) logic, ivery varied train traffic and operations can be created on our layout.

In this video we'll create a schedule that sends a cargo train, loaded with lumber and sand, from the raw materials trading company at Station South siding, to the furniture factory at Station East siding, then to the pottery at Station West siding and the return back to Station South siding.

Link to video Traincontroller 12: Complex Operations via Schedule Successors.

22507920ux.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rudy

Thank you for yet another excellent video.

One question if I may? I notice that when setting up the new schedules you enter a waiting time in the schedule specific properties of the destination block of the first two schedule. I hadnt realised that one could do this. I may be entirely wrong, but I thought waiting times applied only to scheduled stops at intermediate blocks in a schedule.

The start of a successor schedule can be delayed by increasing the start delay in its schedule rules   An alternative and possibly more flexible approach is to use an operations list at the finish of schedule 1.

I do hope you do not mind me checking on this?

Kind Regards

John

John

Hi John. No, of course I don't mind, on the contrary, the more ideas we can gather here the better.

Despite what you thought, the waiting time in destination blocks, as it was used in the video, seems to work :)

But then, your suggestion to apply a schedule start delay (set in the schedule rules) will also work, although I'd personally rather use that to simulate the few seconds of the driver's reaction time to a green signal (plus maybe allow time for engine start decoder sounds to play).

Also the schedule start operations indeed is a place where a lot can be accomplished. Besides a fixed delay time, it also allows for a random delay, which can make things a bit more varied.

In TC there often are several ways of getting things done, sometimes each with slightly different effect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rudy

My apologies........you are absolutely right. That will teach me to post without testing first. No question you can learn something new about Train Controller the moment someone else starts explaining how they operate. As you say there are invariably a number of different ways to solve any given problem. 

I frequently have lots of commands in a schedule finish list........(I prefer to start the next schedule(s) in a routine  from there, rather than as a successor)......I find it is important for TC to have time to close down a schedule internally before issueing new commands so my list invariably starts with a delay. I think introducing a waiting time delay into the destination block may be a more elegant and efficient way of doing this because I noticed from messages that TC continued to close down the schedule (releasing routes etc) during the scheduled delay but would not carry out any end list commands until the scheduled delay was over.

Thanks (and again apologies)

John   

Hi John. It's indeed interesting to puzzle a bit with what happens when, when using a delay, either in the fnish operations, or as a block waiting time.

With a few tests it seemed the schedule closed only after the blck waiting time. Finish operations seem to be executed also after the waiting time. Not that this is a problem, just something to reckon with when using waiting times and finish operations. I think I'll do a few more tests to figure this out a bit better.

• Like 2

Traincontroller 13: Start / Stop Schedules via a Switch on the Switchboard

To start a Schedule, so far we had to open the Dispatcher window, find the schedule in the list, right click and select start forward or reverse. It works, but it requires several actions. It would be much more convenient to have a switch on our Switchboard that can start the schedule.

Well ... that is possible. It is even quite simple. Just add a switch to the Switchboard, double click it  and in the properties window, in the 'Operations' tab, add the schedule(s) to start to the right hand pane. That's all! Click the appropriate icon if you'd like to start a schedule in reverse. With a shuttle schedule, it is a good idea to add the same schedule twice, once in forward and once in reverse direction, it will then always start no matter if the train is in the start or in the destination block.

It would of course also be nice if we can stop the schedule with that same switch. Also that is possible. Go to the Dispatcher window and double click the schedule in the list to open its properties window. Now in the 'Conditions' tab add the switch to the right hand pane as a start condition. This means, as long as the switch is 'on', the schedule can start as a successor, or in the case of a shuttle or cycle it restarts itself. If the switch is turned 'off', then the condition of not met, end the schedule will not restart.

Link to video Traincontroller 13: Start / Stop Schedules via a Switch on the Switchboard

22550464ea.jpg

Edited by RudyB
  • Like 1

There is also the option to add switches to the switch panel at key positions and use these to start a schedule or schedule sequence so in effect you pick the start point and destination by clicking on one push button to select the start point and click the second push button some place else to select the destination.

Easily done in the properties box of the schedules you have created. That way you don't need to add anything in the push button properties box and then the buttons can be used for other functions.

Edited by two tone green

• RMweb Premium

Hi caenmatt. There will be a video on speed profiling, along with setting CV values. It's probably going to be video number 16.

The summary is:

Tune CV2, min speed, such that you get a visually appealing crawl speed at speed step 1. You may need to switch 'load compensation' on, please refer to your DCC decoder manual for that.

Tune CV5, max speed, to a visually appealing maximum speed on your layout. If wanted, it can be tuned to get the prototype scale speed. Personally I always find those much too high for my small layout. It's a just preference what you like to use here.

Tune CV6, mid speed, half way between CV2 and CV5, or if you like a little bend in the speed curve at a value somewhat below that.

Tune CV3 and CV4, acc. and dec., to 0. If the train visually jerks between speed steps, increase the values a bit, but try to stay as low as possible. TC is going to take care of 'mass simulation' and will generate a smooth acc. and dec..

That should do the trick for Traincontroller speed profiling.

I always set acceleration and deceleration to 0 and allow TC to take care of those functions (which you can set in the speed profiling of a loco, of course)

I always use 28 step setting and don't use a speed table.

I find TC works just fine like that.

One tip from experience. Don't use TCS decoders, they have a noticeable kink in their speed profile (as do some others) and it is almost impossible to correct for it.

After much trial and error (and expense!) I have settled on Lenz + series decoders.

Keith

+1 for TCS decoders. Never really got good profiling results from them.

As for momentum, I leave a little in the decoder so when I play in manual mode the loco moves a bit more like the real thing. I have found it does not affect profiling too much and get millimetre precision with stopping points.

Traincontroller 10: Shuttle and Cycle Operations via Auto Train Toolbar

In the previous video we created, and saved, a Shuttle train operation using the Auto Train Toolbar..

In this video we'll modify our layout by adding an oval track. Then, again using the Auto Train Toolbar, we'll create a Cycle operation, a train that automatically drives around the loop, and continues to do so, with scheduled stops.

Both the Cycle and the Shuttle train now continuously run, in automatic mode. Traincontroller takes care there are no collisions by halting trains when the route ahead is reserved or occupied, or at scheduled stops.

Link to the video: Traincontroller 10: Shuttle and Cycle Operations via Auto Train Toolbar

22442605ai.jpg

cannot wait for video 16 

Traincontroller 14: Customize the User Interface

In the previous video's 01 - 13 we saw how we can create a layout in Traincontroller and how we can drive trains around, either manually or half- or fully automated. Quite a few times I said 'this will be the subject of a later video'. Well ... the 'quick start' is over, from here on we'll dive a bit more into the details.

In this video we'll have a look at how we can modify the User Interface to our liking.

The toolbars can be modified via menu 'View > Customize Menu's and Tool Bars', then the 'Commands' tab. Select a category and then simply drag an icon to a toolbar. To remove icons that you seldom use, simply drag them off the toolbar.

The overall look and feel of Traincontroller can be changed via the menu: 'View > UI-Style', then select a style from the list.

Many windows have the option to customize their colors and settings. For instance to change the Switchboard, go to menu 'View > Switchboard > Customize'.

The Switchboard has no zoom function with a percentage, like the Dispatcher has. There is an option however to change the icon size via the menu 'View > Switchboard > Symbol Size'. The result is similar to a  stepwise zoom in or out.

Windows can be made floating, dockable or tabbed. This way a User Interface layout can be created to any ones liking.

Link to video Traincontroller 14: Customize the User Interface - Toolbars / Colors / Windows

22576469hg.jpg

Edited by RudyB
  • Like 2