Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

But underground trains have been done before have we already forgot underground Ernie?

This is the first time a highly detailed ‘ready to run’ London Underground model train has been produced
  • Like 1

... What is of especial interest is the discreet drive unit.

Completely agree with this: one of the things that puts me off MUs is the sight of a big toy motor in part of the passenger compartment (even the better models where the motor is wholly contained in the brake compartment are a bit of a visual disappointment). This could be a game-changer.

The S stock has been crying out for a model, and it's good to see this. My initial impression is that it's sweet, but it doesn't seem to have the sheer mass of the originals (those big lumpy doors standing very proud of the sides, for example), but I'd guess this is not the final version and, anyway, it's difficult to judge from a few snatches of "arty" video. I look forward to seeing it.

Though, of course, this is yet another model that won't be available through model shops and, thus, will hasten what I imagine is the death of more of them...

Paul

If being Underground stock done "before" is an issue, let's not also forget the Ever Ready battery powered train sets from the 1950s!

The S Stock looks fantastic. I was half expecting the doors to open!

Roy

For such a niech market. I have to ask why?

It's an LT Museum product so it's their call and they must feel sufficiently confident to invest in it based on the performance of previous models. It's not just for Underground modellers anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Well who'd thought it, let's hope it's a big commercial success for the LT Museum!  While it's not my cup of tea it does look rather spiffing and the 'lo-line' drive seems like an idea which could go far - very clever stuff going on there and no doubt in line for further future applications.  And interesting too that Bachmann are still doing commissions (not that I thought they had ceased that business anyway).

I'm just wondering how they can supposedly knock this out in four months announcement to delivery instead of the usual four years.....

But what we don't know is when they started on it.  On past performance it looks like their commissions are taking a bit over 2 years to come to fruition although a good deal longer in some cases but I wonder if the log jam is starting to clear a bit?

I'm just wondering how they can supposedly knock this out in four months announcement to delivery instead of the usual four years.....

I got the impression with LU150 that Something Else from Bachmann was going to be announced in addition to the special edition reliveries, so perhaps it was this.

Excellent news and with the Heljan Bo-Bo (presumably Sarah Siddons) something the LT Museum could sell for quite a while.

Nice! I did hear about it a while ago but was told to keep quiet, looks nice certainly been in development for must be at least 2 years maybe more. Looks nice not for me was hoping it was the other London underground rumour. still brave by Bachmann / LTM shall be interesting to see how they sell.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
  • Like 1

As I said in another thread, there have been some very vague rumours for some time that Bachmann were going to produce something LT. Now we know!

The models look very interesting, if a little on the dear side. I will be trying to find the funds to perhaps do a five or six car set (the length being dictated by my platform and loop lengths, not the accuracy of the train formation).

• Like 1

As someone with a minor interest in LU and who uses a motorised EFE set on my layout, this is welcome news.  Hopefully some more models will follow; this is too modern for me but looks superb.