Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Nice model 2x 3 pole motor in 4 car set. Couples as in Midland Pullman. Neatly displayed in transparent "tube ".Add on coaches available separately. Neat LT Transport Museum boxes. Now on their way .Arrive Sept. Source Dennis Lovett on Bachmann Stand.Froth City Town Hall. Well done LT & Bachmann for something refreshingly different. I shall now view the Class 20 T&T which use the Burton -Leicester via Coalville line on the way from Litchurch Lane with new eyes. A treat to celebrate.Let's forget that there's (Altogether now,chorus ) "Nothing in it etc. etc...."

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bravo to the LT Museum and Bachmann!! LTM have commissioned a fascinating model, the London underground/overground system is a major railway system in its own right and it is nice to see a good RTR model (not forgetting Heljan with the bo-bo locomotive). I like the fact they've chosen the S Stock, maybe it is because I regularly use the Metropolitan/Circle/H&C lines but I think these are very good trains and the Metropolitan surface line goes a long way out of central London. And good on Bachmann for developing a low height mechanism, the model looks good too.

Personally, I think the way this has been announced is perfect, develop the model and announce it when it near to be delivered. However I also think we have to recognise that there was no risk of being gazumped with this release, I suspect that if it was a train which had application outside of TfL and which may have been subject to another supplier doing then LT Museum would have announced their initiative a lot earlier.

Bravo to LT Museum as well for just commissioning the model then selling it and refraining from the pre-order concept. I hope it sells well and that it is successful enough for them to do more model train commissions.

• Like 3

List price is £189.95 if you want to make a fair comparison.  Bear in mind also that the cost per unit is usually much lower for a mainstream item which may be able to recover its costs over sales of several thousand / livery and class variants over time.  That isn't usually true for commissions such as this where the project sales might only run to a few hundred and - in this case - there is only one livery option and the only variation is of running numbers and internal seat configurations.

Not true - there have been a number of livery wraps (at least 2 running at the moment). Also 1 unit has been named.

Also don't forget their initial delivery to Old Dalby test track, and subsequent haulage onward to London. Also return trips to the factory for modifiacations.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Just off to look out a copy of Railway Modeller April 1983................................... :no:

Was that the spoof one with an underground layout under the floor boards?

What happened to the Network a Rail 150 . Any details as I note the original thread is locked? Collectors model ? Price?

Now that's what I call thinking outside of the box.  Full marks Bachmann. A definite improvement on my old Ever Ready version.

Before he (Arthur) says anything I will have one of these for my show case.

One problem with it, how much will it cost to fill it with figures?

Loconuts

• Like 1

From New York it looks like a great idea!

I just found out that in August 2012 on one day the London Underground had 4.4 million riders - which is more than the population of some countries.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Will i buy one?

Probably, it certainly looked the part in the display tube at DEMU earlier

typically i 'moved' my layout from being chiltern based to somewhere in the middle of the country, may have to move it back again!!

I think it will be a cracking seller for the museum, having seen the rich american and asian tourists in there while i was buying their ltd 20 pick up anything 'london' and whack it on the credit card its certainly going to shift off the shelves as its no doubt something they will have experienced while in london so will make a great momento

I also think an unmotorised set would be a good seller too, especially for us who want to run it between some class 20s and barrier wagons

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If I'm honest I was thinking down the same lines as you. No pun intended.

I was hoping that this announcement would reveal a fully retooled Class 20 with working wipac lighting, cab lights etc in DRS Compass and HNRC Orange livery. Bachmann could have produced two of each livery and sold them in pairs. My layout is currently been dismantled as I am going to build a brand new one over the Summer. As with my old layout my new one will be based in Leeds and my depot area will be based on Leeds Midland Road. However I already have and I am wanting to buy a lot more DRS locos and stock which obviously aren't based in Leeds. I therefore think sod it and I will just run what I like and to whatever depot on a layout etc!

Its just a shame that only one Bachmann Class 20 is been released any time soon which has pulled the London Underground S Stock in reality. This been 20118 which is due for release in June or July. The GBRF 20901 is now sold out and very hard to find and the LTM 20227 is now also sold out. As Bachmann obviously haven't got any plans to produce any DRS Compass, DRS plain blue (as worn by 20301/302/304/305) or HNRC Orange 20s in the near future and the above mentioned models have already sold out this leaves very little opportunity to be able to create a London Underground S Stock transfer movement which incorporates four Class 20s.

EDIT: I am mentioning about the lack of availability of Class 20s because I don't have any. Therefore to be able to source four it would be quite difficult to do. Even if I bought two models of 20118 in the Summer and had one renumbered to 20132 I would still be two Class 20s short.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 1

I do not need one. I do not need one. I do not need one. Oh it will look nice on my layout set in the Midlands in the 2000's chasing and APT

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This got me thinking (doesn't happen often)... I wonder what the split is between modellers that follow absolute prototype practice with correct traction for the area/era they model and those that adopt the "Sod it - I like it, so I'll sandwich it between a couple of barrier wagons" approach. 50/50? I count myself firmly in the "Sod it" camp.

And your prototype runs regularly from Litchurch Lane to order.You will need a set of 20's ( Samples of which are parked up at London Road end of Derby station on hire from Barrow Hill etc.) and barrier wagons. In this day and age of locomotiveless passenger trains,these somewhat bizarre consists really catch the eye en route via the Burton to Leicester line .A "tube train" crossing Branston Road bridge in a Burton ? Yes,it happens,folks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it will be a cracking seller for the museum, having seen the rich american and asian tourists in there while i was buying their ltd 20 pick up anything 'london' and whack it on the credit card its certainly going to shift off the shelves as its no doubt something they will have experienced while in london so will make a great momento

A very good point, but I imagine a lot of those Asian tourists - particularly the Japanese - would probably prefer an N Gauge version to run on their Kato Unitrack layouts alongside their Shinkansens and TGVs...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

I do not need one. I do not need one. I do not need one. Oh ###### it will look nice on my layout set in the Midlands in the 2000's chasing and APT

Of course you do.There's a prototype for everything.And it's nearer to you than you think.

• Like 2

As Bachmann obviously haven't got any plans to produce any DRS Compass, DRS plain blue (as worn by 20301/302/304/305) or HNRC Orange 20s in the near future and the above mentioned models have already sold out this leaves very little opportunity to be able to create a London Underground S Stock transfer movement which incorporates four Class 20s.

Hmmmm.

A week ago how difficult would you have rated the chance of creating an S Stock transfer?

Had creating one even crossed your mind....

A Network Rail 150 would have taken my money...

Congrats to Bachmann for keeping everyone guessing but all the "hints" lately have been rather misleading to say the least! Would it not have been preferable (and cheaper) for them just to print an advert with a blank space with a big black "?" instead...?

Today I was far more excited to see the Malcolm Logistics livery 08 and I definitely don't need and won't be buying one of those either!

Edited by norfolkchinaclay