Sound Chip for Class 108 DMU

Sound Chip for Class 108 DMU

Postby DavidB » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:36 am

I'm looking to invest in a DMU sound chip for an 'O' gauge unit that I'm building. Can anyone confirm whether either of the available sound chips includes a function for the sounds of changing gear? I've watched some clips on YouTube, which just show the units going from 0-60 in about 2 seconds, so you hear the engines revving up but nothing more - I'm not sure whether I'm expecting too much, but I guess that gear changing could be similar to the notching feature on Bachmann chips. Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

David
DavidB

Re: Sound Chip for Class 108 DMU

Postby TheSnapper » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm

David

Had a brief demo of the DCC Supplies 108 chip at the Kidderminster Show.
Unfortunately there was a significant amount of background noise in the hall, but apparently it has 2 or 3 "notch-ups". However, I don't think they are user-controllable from a fuction key. I suppose they must be dependant on speed.
I suggest you contact them to find out more details - they're a friendly bunch!

Cheers

Tim
TheSnapper

Postby Garry D100 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm

I have installed the DCC Supplies 108 chip and am happy with it.

I did do some video but for some reason you tube never wants to upload it.
You can hear the gear changes and the hiss of air as it does.

I need to have a fiddle with the chip as some of the sounds (notching) only come in at a higher speed.

I do like some of the ancillary sounds though, doors closing, guards whistle and cab buzzer.
Narrow Gauge Workbench
Slaters 16mm Quarry Hunslet viewtopic.php?f=90&t=44277"
Garry D100

Postby Garry D100 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Forgot to say that the customer service at DCC Supplies is excellent.

I bought my chip just over a year ago.
When I got my Dynamis at xmas I was able to trigger more sounds as my previous lokmouse did not have enough buttons.
For some reason the Dynamis would not trigger the sounds.

I emailed Andy at DCC Supplies and we exchanged ideas and thoughts.
In the end he asked me to send it back and for the price of sendin it there they reblew the sounds onto the chip and all is now well. Excellent stuff.
Narrow Gauge Workbench
Garry D100

Postby DavidB » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Garry D100 wrote:You can hear the gear changes and the hiss of air as it does.
I do like some of the ancillary sounds though, doors closing, guards whistle and cab buzzer.

Wow Garry - these are exactly the sound effects that I'm after - and the buzzer is a real bonus! As a kid, I always loved the sounds of a DMU starting up - the two buzzes from the guard, the whoosh of the vac brake releasing, the clunky clicking of the gear change lever and the throttle, and the chugging vibration from those little 150hp bus engines underneath. The DCC Supplies website has been down for the last few days, but I'll get in touch with them as soon as I can find a number. Many thanks for your help - much appreciated!

David
DavidB

Postby eetype3 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:11 pm

I've been holding off investing in a first-gen DMU until someone got the sound decoder sorted properly for it. My memories of the Class 116/117 Tyseley fleet on Birmingham New Street to Redditch services are particularly strong. Basically:

Cab buzzer x2
Mechanical graunch as gear is engaged
Hiss of brake valve being released
Slow build of engine speed up to the governor, with exhaust resonation
Hiss and graunch as next gear is engaged, as engine speed falls back to idle and the exhausts resonate/bark/fart (delete as applicable; I favour the latter as the most descriptive!)
Slight 'bounce' of engine speed as drive is re-engaged and the throttle opened
Repeat of decel/gearshift/accel sounds until cruising speed/gear is reached
Ability to coast with engines idling, no exhaust bark but mechanical drive noise in the background; the stretch from Selly Oak to University was mostly coast, as I recall
Ability to downshift when slowing

Does the DCC Supplies decoder do all that? If so, I'll be investing in one shortly, and a 116 to fit it to :D
Jim Hitchin

Some say that his veins run only with diesel fuel, and that once he pined for three days when a Class 37/0 was WNXX'd. We call him eetype3.

"Perfecting the art of eescale modelling since 2007. It's like RTR 00 but with finer flanges, weathering and more conspicuous beer consumption..."
eetype3

Location: Bailing at BNS for London Midland "Spooky" thanks to XC's inability to keep to time

Postby Garry D100 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:11 pm

I'll try and do another clip and post on here
Narrow Gauge Workbench
Garry D100

Postby resmith » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:21 pm

Would the Class 108 sound chip be wildly wrong in a GWR railcar. If so are there any other alternatives.
Richard
resmith
New Poster
New Poster

Postby dyserthroad » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:29 pm

South West Digital have a DMU sound 'in works' don't know which DMU it is though!
Working cranes and intermodal action in 'OO' gauge

http://www.holland-park.co.uk
dyserthroad

Postby Doddy » Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello David,

I have just joined the forum and could not help but reply to this posting. As for using the class 108 sound for the GWR AEC railcar, the AEC engine on the 108 is a development from the GWR version and in itself sounds almost identical, what sets the two apart is the length of the exhaust pipe where the railcar exhaust is only about 10 foot long vs the 108's 20-35 foot exhaust. The GWR railcar sound is therefore noticeably more raucous than the 108 as a result. The GWR railcar also uses GWR pattern two tone air horns (1930's) the tones of which you will find replicated by BR at a later date with the 1st gen DMU's.

best regards,

Bob.
Last edited by Doddy on Mon May 11, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't know what you don't know"
Doddy

Postby richierich » Sat May 17, 2008 3:32 pm

I thought the Great Central was a 60MPH preserved railways? The 1st gen DMUs after refurbishment had the same engine and tramission, so guess there 101 could be recorded for sound?
--
Rich
All views express are purely personal and do not reflect those of my employer nor RM Web.
richierich

Postby LNERandBR » Sat May 17, 2008 7:49 pm

I think they can only do 60mph for testing.
By Stephen.
Mad about the LNER, BR (ER 50's), BR Rail Blue and the BR Sectors.
LNERandBR

Postby Blackpool_Tower » Sat May 24, 2008 11:53 am

Can't beat the sound of a DMU. I remember when we had 101's on the Kings Lynn line. Before they were reformed into two 3 car sets, we had a 4 car set with two centre cars, and a Power Twin, which went like a racehorse! We had Power Trailer sets too. Happy Days. Wouldn't mind putting a Decoder in to my Bubble Car. Andy
Some people call him the "365 whisperer". Legend has it that he can make a 365 Networker talk.
Blackpool_Tower

Postby 37419 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:12 pm

"Cant beat the sound of a DMU" ????????????????????????

Cant believe you said that : )))))

Each to their own I suppose.
Regards
Membership frozen following inappropriate conduct

Postby dwhite4dcc » Sat May 24, 2008 9:30 pm

AFAIK there are two available 108 sound projects. One is in the Bachmann model and the other is a Digitrax effort. Neither offers gear change. I suppose it might be possible in an ESU chip but I suspect that it would require considerable skill, concentration and knowledge of the chip characteristics to drive it.
regards
David "CV" White
Image Image
"When all else fails, read the instructions"
"Respect is something one has to have in order to get"
dwhite4dcc

Postby Garry D100 » Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am

dwhite4dcc wrote:AFAIK there are two available 108 sound projects. One is in the Bachmann model and the other is a Digitrax effort..

Eh? Bachmann don't do a sound ready 108. Is that what you meant?

Also don't forget the DCC Supplies sound files, I have that in my 108 and you can hear the gears change on it.
Narrow Gauge Workbench
Garry D100

Postby DavidB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:29 pm

My search for a realistic DMU soundchip has finally got a result, courtesy of the DCC Sounds List above (thanks Guys!) which announced the new Howes class 108 chip. I've just fitted one to my part-built 7mm Class 119 and it sounds great to me - particular favourites include the way that the engine note and vibrations subtly change just before moving off, as if it's really being put into gear; the exhaust rasp on pulling away; the 20mph jointed track 'clickety-clack' feature; and the 'tish, tish' pneumatic sounds of the gear changes (far better than on the DCC Supplies chip, where they sound - to me - more like electronic beeps). The only downside compared to the older DCC Supplies chip is the lack of a vacuum brake valve sound, which has been one of my favourite features of this chip, even though I know that this sound was barely audible outside the cab of the real trains.

I would love to be able to post a video on YouTube, but I don't currently have the technology to do this, so apologies for not being able to share the full impact. I really like the gentle tick-over of the engines, so I've been leaving the sound on in the background while I've been working on the bogies and bodies of the unit. Takes me right back to Reading in the '80s - now all I need is the gentle haze of blue exhaust fumes, a BRUTE to sit on and a pack of Traveller's Fare sandwiches....

David
DavidB

Postby big jim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 pm

howes do a 108 chip too, only been released about 2 weeks, features stuff like 4 gear changes, guards buzzer etc, not heard it yet but i believe a fellow rmwebber (yamaha drums?) has the first one and has posted a video on you tube
Currently listening to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/adamandjoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

layout website: http://www.freewebs.com/warmington-drs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (latest update aug 09)
big jim

Postby DavidB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 pm

big jim wrote:howes do a 108 chip too

Hi Big Jim

It's the Howes 108 chip that I've just installed - apologies for not making this clear. They've done a first class job with this one!

David
DavidB

Postby big jim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

DavidB wrote:
big jim wrote:howes do a 108 chip too

Hi Big Jim

It's the Howes 108 chip that I've just installed - apologies for not making this clear. They've done a first class job with this one!

David

No my bad, i didnt read the reply above mine properly and didnt realise you'd invested in the howes chip, its been very well recieved i believe
Currently listening to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/adamandjoe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

layout website: http://www.freewebs.com/warmington-drs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (latest update aug 09)
big jim

Postby Ralf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm

All,

On seeing mention of you tube I went searching and found these two from the same contributor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0S54MKywx4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBlthoa9Q0

Personally I'm not impressed at all, ALTHOUGH how much of it is down to the quality of the sound on the video rather than the produced sound I wonder?? Views anyone?

Ta
Ralf

Postby LNERandBR » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:40 am

They do look as though they've been compressed alot which will have affected the sound quality. Some of this will be down to YouTube.
By Stephen.
Mad about the LNER, BR (ER 50's), BR Rail Blue and the BR Sectors.
LNERandBR

Postby DavidB » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:00 am

I agree - the YouTube clips do sound 'tinnier' than the sounds produced by the actual chip - but a lot will also depend on the speaker/mounting too. I also don't think it helps that the preset acceleration rates on the chip mean that the gear changes are coming thick and fast as the unit pulls away on the clip (more like a Bristol VR bus with an automatic gearbox than a train). I've altered the cvs on my chip to reduce the acceleration and deceleration rates - combined with a slow-revving Mashima 1824 with 13:1 gears, this gives a more prototypical delay between gear changes. I'm going to have two speakers (one each in the DMS and the DMBC) - and working in 7mm means that I can fit larger speakers too :drool

David
DavidB

Postby TheDukeofWellingtons » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:41 pm

I visited Olivia's Trains today and was impressed by his 108 sounds. I would've bought an all-blue one but he was out of stock. Start up has both engines firing up, the horns sound right, gearchanges sound right and are sensibly spaced out. There is a whistle sound, guards door slamming shut, then a double buzzer to driver and reply from driver. I really liked it but cannot compare it to any other version as I haven't heard any ( apart from the YouTube examples ).
Regards, Dave.
TheDukeofWellingtons

Return to DCC Forum