Thank Goodness for this forum

Thank Goodness for this forum

Postby Custer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:08 pm

I posted a query yesterday re the dcc sound problem on a Bachmann "Royal Signals" loco after only a few days after setting up my Lenz sytem. Taking the "belt and braces" approach I also logged the same request, providing the same circumstances as listed on this site on the bachmann customer web site and below is the aloof/snooty reply I recieved:

Thank you for your enquiry. What do you mean by ‘experiment with speed steps’, please? Decoders operate on either 28 or 128 without need for any alteration other than the setting of the controller to tell the decoder whether to operate on 28 or 128.

Note this is a cut and paste from that reply (I have left the senders name out, but his title is service manager). Note no attempt at a suggested soloution

All I can say is thank goodness some people can accept others lack of knowledge and try to help, rather than take this guys arrogant approach. Needless to say I won't be requesting help from Bachmann again.

Thanks once again to all of you that quickly came to my assistance with some REAL help.
Custer
Custer
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Thank Goodness for this forum

Postby Nigelcliffe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Whilst the forum is great for help (and its great your problem was addressed on the forum), I think you (and any one else with a problem) should continue to ask manufacturers and their dealers for help. If they don't get the requests, they won't ever learn to improve their products and the support offered for their products.
Nigel Cliffe
Secretary and Webmaster for The 2mm Scale Association
Various other modelling projects described on my blog
Nigelcliffe

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Nigel is absolutely right. Under European law manufacturers are required to take responsability for their product, which includes support. They just cannot get away by sending off their customers to some sort of 'community self-help system'...
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)
Dutch_Master

Postby dwhite4dcc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:58 pm

I agree with Nigelcliffe and Dutch Master. Regrettably, I still think that both DCC and DCC Sound are completely lost on the RTR producers in the UK. I actually believe that they are CAD designers, marketeers and distribution clerks.

Everything is sub contracted and is built and assembled far, far away.

Even with the very best of intentions, that is not conducive to good control of the end product.

I doubt your informant is even aware of how a sound project is constructed let alone how to change it or rectify problems. I assume that the sound chip is ordered in bulk from ESU and pre-loaded with sounds, shipped to China and installed. Any problems, fit a new one. I imagine that modern service departments don't even have a programmer or the original project.

If you buy from a UK supplier of sound chips, they do have these things and can and will tweak for you.

Essentially, if you buy RTR chips, particularly from the big manufacturers, you are not expected to change anything apart from the address.
regards
David "CV" White
Image Image
"When all else fails, read the instructions"
"Respect is something one has to have in order to get"
dwhite4dcc

Return to DCC Forum