Olivia's Trains

Re: Olivia's Trains

Postby Mod3 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 pm

This topic is now being watched - unsupported allegations are not welcome on the forum. If this topic is to remain open for sensible debate then keep things sensible please.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than type and confirm it
Mod3

Postby Piemanlarger » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:35 am

johnd wrote:
Come on Olivia's if you want more of us to part with our cash give us recordings of real Loco's not manipulated sounds, if I am wrong at least put me right by using this forum.

I kind of understand what your saying, I dont think in one way your being too harsh by critising Olivias trains in this case. However, i also agree with David in that alougth i can tell the difference between class 37, 31, 66 et, when it comes to steam locos they all sound very simular to me as for "chuffs." Whisttles are very different granted.
For example, I now what loco the SWd lms mogul was recorded from, same as we know the Gwr recordings were from a manor. I have put both chips in the "wrong" loco and at exhibitions steam fans have marveled how it sounds just like a pannier /ivatt etc. These were ex steam men who thaught they were listening to the real thing. To me, sound is part of the recreation of the real thing, every l;ittle bit helps as they say.

On the hole I have recieved excellent customer service from Olivis trains and certainly think as an alternative to Howes and Swd /Bachman /Hornby their sounds are worth a try. You can always have them re-blown if not happy.
A model loco with no sound chip? It might as well be unpainted!
Rimenough Mpd (00 EWS + sound) viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2438&p=519507&hilit=rimenough#p519507
Olivers road Royal Mail Depot (oo + Sound) viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32882&p=551471&hilit=olivers+road#p551471
Piemanlarger

Postby The Stationmaster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am

I'm not into locos with sound at all but what I have heard of other's at exhibitions suggests to me that there are difficulties in properly 'catching' steam loco sounds or perhaps in getting the volume/sound quality right. Some steam locos have very distinctive sounds - for instance the sound of the vacuum pump on some Western locos, the difference between 3 cylinder and 4 cylinder locos or between 'pop' safety valves and other types plus such occasional hazards as priming or wheel slip.

I can understand the difficulty in not being able to directly record sound for long vanished classes although there are good quality older recordings around which could possibly be licensed. If the quality is right then it would not seem right to go passing off one type of loco as another unless the fact is made clear on the box - a V2 did not sound like a 'Jubilee', a 'Manor' did not sound like a pannier tank, and nothing on earth sounded like a down at heel WD :roll:
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby workev2000 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:04 am

Whilst I recognise that the title of this thread is one supplier of sounds, I think that the comments can apply to any supplier of Sound chips for steam or diesel anywhere. Steam sounds are still pretty new, and as already said elsewhere in this thread, most people who hear a steam engine in a model will be suitably impressed, and accept it for what it is.

Those people who want exact sounds of a V2 (for example) will not get them as the loco does not currently run. If you want a V2 model with sound then a compromise is needed, but does it take that much away from the effect??? Those loco classes that survive into preservation and mainline running may provide the means to get accurate sound projects, but with all things today there will always be critics of anything released to a mass market (and will always be the case).

Bachmann are being criticised for the Deltic sounds in some quarters. I have one and whilst it does not necessarily provide that power of the real thing, it actualy sounds pretty good for a model you can pick up for ?130. If you purchase a Loksound programmer and can access the equipment needed to record your own sounds then you can always tune it and try and make it sound just like you want it to with additional speakers and modifications. That is not a mass market model, its something that may cost ?175+.

I have sound chips from various suppliers for diesels, all of them have there faults, and all of them are continually being improved (as I know will happen in the steam world). I bought a WD and BP from Olivias and they are pretty good, not perfect, but good. I have the knowledge that when a new improved project comes along they will re-programme the chip free of charge (and that is great customer service).

I also bought a Britannia, not as good as the other two, but actually not bad when compared with other Britannia projects and if I dont like it I can change it to a class 40, or a WD, Free of charge, or take it to another supplier for a fee. Again my choice, just like it was my choice to buy them in the first place.
workev2000

Postby Dwayne Pipe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 am

Hi -

Im just hoping that we dont prioritise accuracy over the most important factor which is enjoyment - if a sound file "evokes" the sound and characteristics then the remainder of the impression of it being a living steam loco which is formed in ones own imagination must surely be able to fill in the gaps.

I think its a bit like the debate on super detail versus the ability to actually run the things and afford to procure them -

do you build a lost loco class at fantatstic expense so as to sell 100% accurate models at a phenomenally expensive rrp or do you use something which is mechanically close and gives the right impression and just make a mention of that in your sales patter - those who are that fussy will walk away.

Chris
Dwayne Pipe

Postby workev2000 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Absolutely :clap
workev2000

Postby devious diesel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I have only just found this thread, it's made interesting reading. I have just had my class 31/47/56 reblown by Olivia's and I must say they are a vast improvement over Hornby/Bachmann efforts in IMHO. The class 56 is the best of the three, but they have different versions of the 31 and the 47. So I might try them as well later.
The owner and his staff where very friendly and helpful and you can try before you buy, which is great if you can get to them.

Regards David.
devious diesel

Postby Irish71 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:40 am

Hi

I think this is a great point.

Sound is very subjective and I am sure that each of the suppliers will have managed to record and then package a sound project which may sound better to individuals than others. Given the prices these days then you have to do your research either via the internet or by visiting the shop or exhibition stand; I wouldn't part with nearly ?100 per chip without doing it!

Link to Olivias sound on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eItD2M1W7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMW-piQx ... re=channel

Some people will never be happy with sound some hate this brand, but like X and Y. If nothing suits you sound wise invest in a lok programmer and 1-2 grand worth of good quality sound recording equipment, chase a couple of trains and make your own. As David and others will tell you it can take months to get it even close to what you want.

Cheers

m
Irish71

Postby beyer peacock » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:07 pm

I have a Bachmann Class 42 and Heljan Class 52 and they are very good sound. I would say a Class 26 ETC would also sound good from them.
beyer peacock
New Poster
New Poster

Previous

Return to DCC Sound