Model railway magazines no longer with us

Magazines, TV, Radio, Books, DVDs, Software and Web Content

Model railway magazines no longer with us

Postby David Bigcheeseplant » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Following on from which mags will survive, what about a list of those that are no longer with us., can anyone add more or fill in with editors and the years of publication?
I will start the list with:
Model Railway News
Model Railways
Model Railway Constructor
Loco Modeller?
Model Railways Illustrated
Modern Railway Modelling
Scale Trains?

David
David Bigcheeseplant

Re: Model railway magazines no longer with us

Postby m mcdermott » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 pm

hi i havn,t seen modellers backtrack lately if that counts . mali
m mcdermott

Postby flubrush » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:04 pm

David Bigcheeseplant wrote:Following on from which mags will survive, what about a list of those that are no longer with us., can anyone add more or fill in with editors and the years of publication?
I will start the list with:
Model Railway News
Model Railways
Model Railway Constructor
Loco Modeller?
Model Railways Illustrated
Modern Railway Modelling
Scale Trains?

David

Iain Rice's ill fated "Rail Model Digest".

Jim.
flubrush

Postby edcayton » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:13 pm

er-Meccano Magazine was where my interest started-then moved on to Railway Modeller
edcayton

Postby Barry Ten » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:06 pm

What was that one edited by Dave Lowery? I think it may have ceased publication around the time I returned the hobby, 96-ish.
Barry Ten

Postby dibber25 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm

I don't have my reference material to hand but I think Model Railway Constructor was started in the mid-1930s by Ernest F Carter. It was just over 50 years old when it closed in June 1987. It came into the Ian Allan fold with the take-over of Railway World Publications around 1960.
MRC Editors:
The name Gordon Flower rings a bell for the period before IA takeover.
G.M. Kichenside c.1960-3
Alan Williams 1963-6
S.W.('Steve') Stevens-Stratten 1966-83
Chris Leigh 1983-87
Dave Lowery was Editor of Model Railways, which had been Model Railway News and Your Model Railway, so two of these were name changes/relaunches rather than 'closures'. Cyril Freezer (ex-Railway Modeller) also edited one of these titles as it switched its editorial pitch between 'beginners' and 'up-market kit-building' several times.
CHRIS LEIGH
dibber25

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:39 pm

dibber25 wrote:S.W.('Steve') Stevens-Stratten 1966-83

Nice to see 'Steve' still contributing in Hornby mag road supplement.
Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
our thoughts are free (Cicero)
John
Re6/6

Location: Deepest, darkest Devonshire, up the creek with a paddle.

Postby Ravenser » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 pm

dibber25
I don't have my reference material to hand but I think Model Railway Constructor was started in the mid-1930s by Ernest F Carter. It was just over 50 years old when it closed in June 1987. It came into the Ian Allan fold with the take-over of Railway World Publications around 1960.
MRC Editors:
The name Gordon Flower rings a bell for the period before IA takeover.

MRC was definitely started and run as a one man band by EF Carter , who sold out to a Mr Chubb just before the war , who put in a new editor , RJ Raymond . Mr Raymond seems to have remained editor till some point in the mid 50s , so presumably Gordon Flower was his successor

For MRN/MR/YMR/MR the sequence seems to be:

JN Maskelyne 1931-56?
Roy Dock 1956?- ? (he may possibly have had two goes at it)
?
Cyril Freezer 1979?-1984?
??
??
Dave Lowery

Loco Modeller lasted about 3 issues I believe

Modelling Railways Illustrated was followed by an attempted revival by the last editor , Jim Woods , under the title of Model Railway Review which lasted 3 issues (they were rather good issues actually) There was also Ian Rice's Rail Model Digest , in quarterly book format

Not mentioned so far : Practical Model Railways (1984-1988?). I saw the first issue of this in a local newsagent and bought it , but I never saw another issue. Seeing a collection of the mag some years later after its demise, I suspect I'd have taken it regularly if it had been on sale

then there's the Scale Trains/Model Trains/ Scale Model Trains/MTI line of descent , MTI being still with us as subscription only
Ravenser

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:33 pm

Ravenser wrote:dibber25Loco Modeller lasted about 3 issues I believe

then there's the Scale Trains/Model Trains/ Scale Model Trains/MTI line of descent , MTI being still with us as subscription only

MTI is also available in some model shops. Model Trains was the first, Scale Trains came about when Chris Ellis lost the editorship of Model Trains. When Model Trains ceased publication Scale Trains was quickly renamed Scale Model Trains.

Loco Modeller issues were Oct 83, Nov 83 and Feb 84
Mike Parkes

Postby PMP » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I really liked Morrill, but then I tend to like IR's style. Once the editorship changed to Jim Woods the quality noticeably dropped off. They had a good mix of hands on, prototype, and planning articles.
PMP

Location: 'There's some corner of a foreign field that is forever England'

Postby DRSJOE » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:57 pm

What happened to MRM? Does anybody know?
DRSJOE

Postby Samuel Bennett » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 pm

MRM has cease publication traction modelling is taking up its place.
Photos http://photobucket.com/redkiterail changed hosts
Films http://redkiterail.blip.tv/
Blog http://samuelbennett.railnuts.com/
One day a layout will be built and finished.
Samuel Bennett

Postby DRSJOE » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks
DRSJOE

Postby shortliner » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Scale Trains is actually still running - although not under that title. It started out as Airfix Model trains, changed publisher and became Scale Trains, changed publishers again and became Scale Model Trains, went through a couple of publishers without changing the title and finally ceased in June 95 - BUT - Chris Ellis, who had been the editor right through all the changes, had so many requests not to let it die that he started publishing it himself as Model Trains International in December 1999. We are still at it, bi-monthly, almost subscription only (because of magazine distribution trade restrictions, but it is available in a few model shops), readers on, I believe, every continent except Antarctica, and the next issue is number #75. and is due out 20th March 2008.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
Manager and Chief Design Engineer, Bodging Department, H Robinson & R Goldberg Contraptions (Highland) Unlimited

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Image Image
shortliner

Postby brucey » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Model Rail Express, I think edited larrely by Pat Hammond. Of course, this then gave birth to the internet site MREmag

Brucey
brucey
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Coppercap » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:Loco Modeller issues were Oct 83, Nov 83 and Feb 84

I'm sure I have about five issues somewhere. I shall have to dig them out. I seem to recall,about two or three years after it disappeared,there was a stand at an exhibition announcing it was back,with the (elderly,I think) chap who published/edited it, with a "welcome back" kind of book that was being signed by visitors. The exhibition may have been in Bristol (in the old "Exhibition Centre").
Sadly,it DIDN'T re-appear,as we all know.
Coppercap

Postby Fat Controller » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:28 pm

shortliner wrote:Scale Trains is actually still running - although not under that title. It started out as Airfix Model trains, changed publisher and became Scale Trains, changed publishers again and became Scale Model Trains, went through a couple of publishers without changing the title and finally ceased in June 95 - BUT - Chris Ellis, who had been the editor right through all the changes, had so many requests not to let it die that he started publishing it himself as Model Trains International in December 1999. We are still at it, bi-monthly, almost subscription only (because of magazine distribution trade restrictions, but it is available in a few model shops), readers on, I believe, every continent except Antarctica, and the next issue is number #75. and is due out 20th March 2008.

Available at Motor Books in London, I believe.
Brian
Fat Controller

Postby dibber25 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I shall have to dig them out. I seem to recall,about two or three years after it disappeared,there was a stand at an exhibition announcing it was back,with the (elderly,I think) chap who published/edited it, with a "welcome back" kind of book that was being signed by visitors.

Was that the mag that was mainly extended reviews, produced by John Paige? Did a hatchet job on the Hornby 'Schools' if I recall correctly, and disappeared soon afterwards?
CHRIS LEIGH.
dibber25

Postby steve1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:46 pm

I remember a strange hybrid model railway/model car publication some years ago. Can't remember what it was called now but I think it ran for about 4 issues.

Anyone else remember it?

steve
Steve Grantham

Hull MRS

You can buy a crown, it doesn't make you king/Beware the trinkets that we bring.
steve1

Location: Stoking the starmaker machinery behind the popular song

Postby 298 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 pm

I once got told off for reading Practical Model Railways, at one point the content was turning a little "Risque". Still not seen a cameo on a layout of a bird on a bike, waiting at a level crossing....

Your Model Railways
Modellers BackTrack

Any more..?

Location: Northwest of the mighty Columbia River (that's my new name for the Coventry Canal).

Postby Jamie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm

brucey wrote:Model Rail Express, I think edited larrely by Pat Hammond. Of course, this then gave birth to the internet site MREmag

Brucey

Model Railway Enthusiast, renamed near the end.

1st issue about 1993/4, when I bought my first modelling magazine. Can't have had a very long lifespan then, I ditched it when it changed its name - to M.R. Collector, I seem to recall. This would have been about the same time as Model Rail came out as a "proper" mag rather than a supplement. '98-ish
Back tae the auld claes and porridge
Jamie

Postby robertcwp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Re6-6 wrote:
dibber25 wrote:S.W.('Steve') Stevens-Stratten 1966-83

Nice to see 'Steve' still contributing in Hornby mag road supplement.

And seen in person at the Leatherhead show last weekend.
robertcwp

Postby chrisf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:25 pm

You have certainly jerked some memories with this thread, David!

I found the Constructor very formative and informative. My first issue was August 1958. I remember spending so long reading it in the local newsagent that the guy gave it to me to get me out of the shop! At that time the editor was K G Mansell, who lasted till the Ian Allan takeover. Much of the mag was written by the late great Mike Bryant, who managed to find a way of motorising the new Kitmaster loco every month. When it passed to Ian Allan Alex Bowie edited several issues until Geoffrey Kichenside took over. Then came Alan Williams. Oh happy days!

What would the Constructor be like had it survived? Probably very like Model Rail I guess.

Chris
An expert is someone who disagrees with another expert
chrisf

Postby Mike Parkes » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:10 pm

dibber25 wrote:Was that the mag that was mainly extended reviews, produced by John Paige? Did a hatchet job on the Hornby 'Schools' if I recall correctly, and disappeared soon afterwards?
CHRIS LEIGH.

Yes -to quote "it bears but scant resemblance to prototype" - critised were the front half step, the snifting valves, bogie wheel size, cylinder shape and position, boiler diameter and length, smoke deflectors shape, depth of footplate valancing, width of cab sides, depth of tender sides, chimney position, reversing rod and whistle mounting. Good job he had not got the mid 80s Hornby Princess to review which I recall MRC was critical of for obvious reasons.
Mike Parkes

Postby Coppercap » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:13 pm

dibber25 wrote:
I shall have to dig them out. I seem to recall,about two or three years after it disappeared,there was a stand at an exhibition announcing it was back,with the (elderly,I think) chap who published/edited it, with a "welcome back" kind of book that was being signed by visitors.

Was that the mag that was mainly extended reviews, produced by John Paige? Did a hatchet job on the Hornby 'Schools' if I recall correctly, and disappeared soon afterwards?
CHRIS LEIGH.

If/when I find my copies I might be able to tell you! I do remember it contained almost step-by-step kit-building reviews,mostly whitemetal. I seem to remember a "Schools" mod,possibly relocating the cylinders and extra detail etc. A bit like your mag,but specifically for building and modifying locomotives.
Thinking back,I seem to recall the chap who produced the mag was taken ill,which was why it disappeared in the first place. (That I learned when he was at the exhibition) I guess his doctor told him not to carry on (or other........)
Coppercap

Next

Return to Modelling Media