Southern track layouts?

Southern track layouts?

Postby Barry Ten » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm a fan of RH Clark's three volume set on GWR station layouts (just acquired vol 3 through abebooks) - but is there, or was there ever, a similar publication or series for the Southern Railway, showing track arrangements, buildings, signalling diagrams, etc?
Barry Ten

Re: Southern track layouts?

Postby rjh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Hello,

Yes.
"An Historical Survey of Selected Southern Stations - Track Layouts and Illustrations"
by G.A. Pryer and G.J. Bowring. Volume One originally appeared in 1980 from O.P.C,
SBN 86093 016 5.
No further volumes ever appeared and Volume One has since been reprinted without
a Volume number being shown.
George Pryer died a while back.

Stations included in the book:
Addiscombe, Alton, Amesbury, Andover Town, Appledore, Arundel, Ash, Ashbury,
Axminster, Bognor Regis, Bordon, Brentor, Bridestowe, Broad Clyst, Bude,
Budleigh Salterton, Canterbury East, Crediton, Crewkerne, Deal, Dorchester South,
Dover Priory, Droxford, Dunton Green, Effingham Junction, Epsom (SR), Exmouth,
Fordingbridge, Gillingham (Dorset), Hampton Court, Hamworthy Junction,
Hawkhurst, Hayes, Hayling Island, Herne Bay, Holsworthy, Lingfield, Lyme Regis,
Midhurst (LBSCR), Milborne Port, Padstow, Porton, Pulborough, Romsey, Rye,
Sandgate, Seaton, Sherborne, Shorncliffe, Sidmouth Junction, Swanage,
Tavistock North, Tipton St John's, Wadebridge, Wadhurst, Westerham,
West Grinstead, Wimborne, Winchester City, Wool, Yalding.

Regards, Rodney
rjh

Postby rjh » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:47 pm

PS
As can be guessed from the long list, there is less info on each station:
there is: scale plan, signalling plan, historical notes.
threre isn't: building plans.

Regards, Rodney
rjh

Postby Barry Ten » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

rjh wrote:PS
As can be guessed from the long list, there is less info on each station:
there is: scale plan, signalling plan, historical notes.
threre isn't: building plans.

Regards, Rodney

Many thanks, Rodney. I should add that when I mentioned buildings in relation to the Clark series, there are no plans there either, just the relevant footprints on the track diagrams.

I was pretty sure this book existed since I recollected seeing a second hand copy once. But I didn't manage to turn it up using abebooks search facility, even though I tried all the right keywords. I'll have another shot...

[Edit - superb, just ordered a copy :thup ]
Barry Ten

Postby DavidH » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:32 pm

There's also "An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds", by Chris Hawkins and George Reeve (OPC, 1979, reprinted 2001), which has station plans where the shed was next to a station - includes Barnstaple Junction, Bordon, Bude, Callington, part of Guildford, Ilfracombe, Lyme Regis, Newport (IoW), Seaton, Swanage, and others.

No signalling plans.

I also have a couple of Signalling Record Society publications, "LBSCR: Signal Boxes in 1920-1922", "Part 1 - London to Brighton", and "Part 4 - Dorking and Suburban Lines", published 1994 and 1999, respectively.

These have (funnily enough) signalling diagrams, but aren't to scale and they omit full details of sidings.
DavidH

Postby Barry Ten » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:29 pm

DavidH wrote:There's also "An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds", by Chris Hawkins and George Reeve (OPC, 1979, reprinted 2001), which has station plans where the shed was next to a station - includes Barnstaple Junction, Bordon, Bude, Callington, part of Guildford, Ilfracombe, Lyme Regis, Newport (IoW), Seaton, Swanage, and others.

Ta, David - another one to keep an eye out for.
Barry Ten

Postby industrial » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Ian Allan had some books called Southen Country Station at least two volumes with part two coming out on the 20th July 1985. Dont know what they contained at all as only seen the advert for them.
industrial

Postby Nick Holliday » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:28 am

Wild Swan have produced two excellent books which take three or four branchlines and study them in detail. Not just track plans of all the stations on the lines involved, but a selection of drawings of buildings and lots of photos etc. Can't remember all the lines and which book they are in but they certainly included Epsom Downs, Bexhill West, Dungeness/New Romney, Lyme Regis, Bordon and Hayling Island.
Branch Lines of the Southern. Volume 1 G. Reeve & C. Hawkins. Wild Swan Publications, 1980. pp. viii, 136. (ISBN 0 906867 01 0).
Branch Lines of the Southern. Volume 2 G. Reeve & C. Hawkins. Wild Swan Publications, 1983. (ISBN 0 906867 14 2). [Ottley 12498].
A similar book is The Cuckoo Line A.C. Elliott. Wild Swan Publications, 1988. pp. vi, 170. (ISBN 0 906867 63 0). which also makes a foray towards Groombridge, and has loads of excellent drawings.
Nick Holliday

Postby Young Fido » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 am

DavidH wrote:These have (funnily enough) signalling diagrams, but aren't to scale and they omit full details of sidings.

Real signal box diagrams missed out siding details :thdown , they were only really concerned with running lines anyway :)

Richard
Why make life difficult when, with a little bit of thought, you can make it damn nigh impossible?
Young Fido

Postby DavidH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:22 am

Young Fido wrote:
DavidH wrote:These have (funnily enough) signalling diagrams, but aren't to scale and they omit full details of sidings.

Real signal box diagrams missed out siding details :thdown , they were only really concerned with running lines anyway :)

Richard

Indeed they are!
Last edited by DavidH on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidH

Postby DavidH » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:25 am

Oh, and of course, there are all the Middleton Press books, which cover a now huge number of lines - I've got a few from the London Suburban Railways and Southern Main Lines series.
DavidH

Postby victor » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:23 pm

If interested in the Somerset/ Devon area of the SR...."From Salisbury to Exeter - The Branch Lines" by Derek Phillips OPC has line drawings and reasonable pictures.
victor
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Barry Ten » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks all, again.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this right now, but here's my situation: I've always tended to model the GWR/WR, while at the same time having a side interest in things Southern and S&D (the latter mainly confined to books, it must be said). Having dismantled my old layout a year ago, I now have the chance to start on something different in my new railway room. It's a fine sized room for what it is, 11x12, and I'm not complaining - but at some point down the line I may get a chance to have a larger space in a shed or dedicated layout room in an outbuilding. So while I'm going to happily develop the 11x12 layout for a few years, I want to think carefully about my choice of model now - there's no point squeezing the SWML into 11x12, for instance. But a single-lin stretch of the S&D or the Southern might be feasible.

I've always ruled out modelling the S&D for the time being on the basis of not being able to easily acquire a 7F, but now I've got one, with another in the pipeline, so that's no longer an obstacle. That, coupled with the all the other S&D-specific models now available, makes it a very tempting proposition. But then again, should I save the S&D for the big space? That way I could really go to town on the scenery, with lengthy gradients requiring banking etc, a chance to model a real station in close to scale dimensions. Iain Rice has a nice scheme for Binegar, and there's the family connection to Blandford and Shillingstone to consider...

But I'm also very taken with all the other Southern items that are now out there, including the King Arthurs, the imminent Schools, etc - and I have a kitbuilt C2X and an S15 also waiting assembly. So an SR layout (on which I'd run just about anything that took my fancy) is also very tempting, and I could always run some of the GWR/WR stuff on it occasionally.

Then there's my perennial interest in the lines of the South Wales valleys, aided and abetted by a large collection of weathered and detailed Bachmann 56xxs. There's even a layout scheme, Sebastopol Road, fermenting in my brain. Tight-ish curves, an endless succession of up and down coal trains and empties, lots of valleys grime ... also very tempting, and something that could easily be done well in the 11x12 room, without seeming like I'm trying to cram a quart into a pint pot. I also have lots of GWR/WR lineside fittings and structures ready to go, whereas with the S&D or Southern I'd be back to square one, without even a signal box to my name.

So I could get going on the valley scheme very easily, but the other schemes would require a lot more structure building and so on. What I'm toying with, basically, is doing the valleys scheme in such a way that, once I get the big shed, I could convert it to a Southern or even S&D themed layout simply by removing all extraneous fittings, retaining platforms but little else, but not having to do too much alteration to the trackwork. All the GWR/WR buildings and fittings would then migrate to the new, larger layout being built in the shed. I've also thought about doing this in reverse: building an S&D layout now, and later back-coverting it to the GWR/WR.

It's a hard life, isn't it? :winker
Barry Ten

Return to Questions, Queries, Help and Advice