( Gravy Train ) Coaling stage 7mm.

Re: ( Gravy Train ) Erstfeld depot

Postby Gravy Train » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:48 am

Cheers Mick, now time for a brew allready done ten hours :wink: :wink: :)
Gravy Train

Postby jim s-w » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 am

Hi GT

Have you considered learning how to draw up artwork for etched window frames? You could probably sell enough spares on to cover the tooling costs?

Just a thought

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

all images in my posts © Jim Smith-Wright unless stated - please do not use or alter without permission
jim s-w

Re: ( Gravy Train ) Erstfeld Depot

Postby jonhall » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:46 am

Gravy Train wrote:
In response to the people who have asked me to post up the photos of the swiss Erstfeld depot in 4mm :3.5 gauge.

Umm, I hate to ask, but why 4mm?

Jon
jonhall

Re: ( Gravy Train ) Erstfeld Depot

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:55 am

jonhall wrote:
Gravy Train wrote:
In response to the people who have asked me to post up the photos of the swiss Erstfeld depot in 4mm :3.5 gauge.

Umm, I hate to ask, but why 4mm?

Jon

I was also pondering that one Jon. It is a typo Gravy T ? Did you mean HO scale ?

Or is it someone who has a stash of the old Kitmaster Crocs, because I think they were 4 mil ?
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby Gravy Train » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:35 am

I did say 4mm, ( habit i think ), it looks 4mm but is in fact 3.5 or as near as i can get it, the model is produced from observation of photos so it is very difficult.
i have been given some guidelines with regard to measurements such as apertures etc and working into a given measurement allraedy set down for me and in the belief that if i stick to these measurements then all is tikity boo.
A few more pics.
the model is just placed together at this point to show how will look when it is fixed permanently.

will post up the rest of the photos over the next few days.
cheers.
Gravy Train

Postby Gravy Train » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Sorry Jim, yes i have.

I like the roadway by the way, neatly done :thup

cheers
Gravy Train

Postby jim s-w » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi GT

Fairy nuff re - the etchings - they certainly wouldn't be any neater than the way you do them now But I thought they might be quicker. However given the rate of knots you seem to plough through stuff probably not! :clap

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

all images in my posts © Jim Smith-Wright unless stated - please do not use or alter without permission
jim s-w

Postby Gravy Train » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Jim,
you are correct with regard to the etchings i use etched windows of all sorts werever i can, the logistics of tooling up in this case proved not an option.
I know there is a lot of windows with microstrip and as you say i can plough through them quite quickly but no faster than anyone else who does it professionally, to make it work as an Architectural modelmaker you have to be very fast or its a waste of time, there are many modellers out there ' including your good self ' who can produce excellent results in your own time but for me unfortunatley it is a race against time.
Gravy Train

Postby Brian Daniels » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Hellfire :thup I know Erstfeld very well, going there a couple of times every year in room 22 in the Frohsinn waking up to the depot view in the morning, just can't beat it. Have you got any Re6/6's to go in it?
Attachments
DSCN1488.jpg
DSCN1488.jpg (169.99 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Visit my web site for over 8,000 railway pictures from 1977 onwards. Also O Gauge models.
http://www.briandaniels.fotopic.net/
Also European pictures at
http://www.briandanielseurope.fotopic.net/
And some US pictures at
http://www.briandanielsus.fotopic.net/
Brian Daniels

Postby Gravy Train » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Brian,
The model is not mine i built it for somone else, the photo is stunning, thanks for that.
Gravy Train

Postby jim s-w » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Gravy Train wrote: for me unfortunatley it is a race against time.

Hi GT

Exactly the reason I could never do what you do. I turned my passion for illustration into my job and ended up hating it. Its a special person that can do their interest for a living and I applaud those who can. I cant do it.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

jim s-w

Postby Gravy Train » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Jim, Your hobby as your living is something you really need to think hard about before taking the plunge, as some have said you can easily end up loosing or hating the hobby and just see it as a means of an income.
The Job is certainly stressfull, well for me it is but i love every minute of it there are times when it gets very tedious but nevertheless rewarding and i certainly enjoy it more than my previouse job as a Painter & Decorator ( no offence to any decorators on the forum ) and an ex-proffesional musician working untill daft-o-clock.
I guess the only down side is that you can't allways put the detailing in on a model you would like to do as its down to customer requirements so to speak and tying in with there budjet.

here are a couple more photos of Erstfeld for those interested in such things, i will try and post the rest up at some point this week showing the finnished model, you see all this takes time and i have little of it :D
cheers

Gravy Train

Postby Phil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 am

Gravy Train - is your client happy for you to leave the snow off the roof ?

Only kiddin !!!!

Cracking model - as your stuff always is.

Brian's shot of the depot is surreal - practically a model, except, if you painted the moon onto your backscene it wouldn't look realistic.
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby MikeTrice » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Out of interest are you able to quantify the number of hours put in to one of your models?
MikeTrice

Postby Gravy Train » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm

hi Phil,
that would be a challenge, though with all the scenic goodies that can be had nowadays its relatively easy.
Thanks again for your comments.

Hi Mike, its very difficult to quantify the hours on most models, in the early days i used to time myself but to be honest it drove me nearly potty.
My job is no different to a building contractor who goes in on a job, prices it up and gives an estimate and time scale for the finished model, something like this model would take a months work working on it every day, of course it all depends upon the detail required.

cheers.
Gravy Train

Postby Gravy Train » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 pm

More photos:
these photos taken before the two other side pillars were fitted.
If time permits i will post up a few photos each day.

Gravy Train

Re: ( Gravy Train ) Erstfeld depot more pics

Postby micknich2003 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 am

Gravy, as always a fantastic piece of work. I note the dart board in the background of one or more views,obviously a bit of recreation from the plastic. Mick
Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Postby Gravy Train » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Mick,
The dart board is my son's, he 's not a dart player he just bought it on impulse, did you backtrack to page 3 to view what a tidy bench should look like, all those heaps neatly created :D

cheers
Gravy Train

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 am

Beautiful stuff GT, as always. :D Lucky the bloke whose layout is going to get that! Aaah, I can but dream just to see it full of 6/6s and 460s..or even crocs! Are you building the traverser at the rear?
Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
our thoughts are free (Cicero)
John
Re6/6

Location: Deepest, darkest Devonshire, up the creek with a paddle.

Postby micknich2003 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Had a look back to page 3, like mine your work bench is covered in junk. You are a brave man leaving your wallet out. Mick.
Mick Nicholson
micknich2003

Postby Gravy Train » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:35 pm

hi re6/6,
Thanks for the kind comments, not doin the traverer, built this model to a specific measurement so what you see is what you get really.
As i think i may have mentioned, the rear of the shed won't be visible once in situe so the window detailing isn't there though plain windows are modelled to match those seen at the front.

cheers

Hi mick,
no worries about the wallet, everyone know's there is never anything in it, as a model maker i earn money but don't make it :D
The son is the one to get into for the reddies he being a ( Chartered Accountant ) :mrgreen:

cheers
Gravy Train

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi GT - the building is just getting better and better! Re6-6 and I sat and watched some video footage of Switzerland next to one of the layouts at the Utrecht show last weekend and it featured 'your' shed, which was instantly recognisable - really brilliant stuff! :clap :clap :clap
‘I suppose Kernow might want to know why I didn’t ask permission to leave the ship. Anyway, never mind about that, the Bodmin coach leaves in an hour’. Archie collected their bags and they quietly left the little tavern, which had been their home for the last few days. But little did they realise that a Prussian grenadier called Horst was quietly watching them from behind a pair of beer barrels
Captain Kernow

Postby russellwar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:58 pm

Really must stop off there some time. Drove past it on the motorway so many times on my way south, including last weekend.

Great work
Russell
russellwar

Postby Gravy Train » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Capt'n K,
thanks for the comments, now i know what re6/6 is :D

Hi Russellwar,
thanks for your comments, are you also modelling Ho Swiss?
I have to say that i am not an HO modeller as i model the LYR but i have to admit after seeing that photo of Erstfeld in the snow at nightime was delightful, superb atmosphere.

cheers
Gravy Train

Postby russellwar » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Gravy Train wrote:
Hi Russellwar,
thanks for your comments, are you also modelling Ho Swiss?
I have to say that i am not an HO modeller as i model the LYR but i have to admit after seeing that photo of Erstfeld in the snow at nightime was delightful, superb atmosphere.

cheers

Am tempted but the price has put me off.........for the mo!
Russell
russellwar

PreviousNext

Return to Work Bench