Whitaker's Tramway - 7mm scale 2ft. gauge industrial.

Whitaker's Tramway - 7mm scale 2ft. gauge industrial.

Postby Ruston » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 pm

As I was asked by Cornelius for more info and pics of my 7mm narrow gauge layout so here it is. It is 14mm gauge, which is a true 2ft. in scale rather than the 2ft. 4 in that using 16.5mm track gives.

Whitaker's Tramway is a 2ft. gauge industrial line, based somewhere in West Yorkshire in the Wakefield / Leeds area. A real company called Whitakers owned gravel pits and brickworks in the area in the 1950s/60s and the layout covers both industries. As an excuse to have more locos than such a site would ever have there is a workshop that repairs and services locos from the companys other works in the area.

The trackwork is PECO code 82 rail, built in situ and on both RCL sleepers and wooden sleepers. Points are hand made with all rail components hand made and laid on RCL plastic sleepers. The locos are a mix of kits or scratch built bodies on kit mechanisms. Rolling stock is also a mix of kit and scratch items. The overall layout as an L shape and is 14ft x 8ft with 18 in. of sidings behind a backscene ( the gravel and clay pits).

The gravel works area. A Ruston 16/20HP loco with a rake of Robert Hudson saddleback wagons on the discharge ramp.
Close up of the Ruston and scratch built saddleback wagons.
The gravel washer. None of the model actually works. The gravel having been tipped through a grid to remove any large rocks goes up the conveyor to the primary screen. Oversize is rejected and goes into the crusher where a skip is positioned. Once full this is put back in the system. Drum is the primary washer and from here the gravel goes to the screens via the conveyor on the right. The crusher is belt driven from a stationary parrafin engine. The remainder of the plant is electrically powered and the source is the former WWI Dick Kerr diesel-electric loco next to the washer.
The workshop area with a 60S type Simplex loco.
The junk pile, consisting of various bits of scrap, a clamshell bucket from an excavator and the frames and gearbox of a Ruston 20DL. A former WDLR protected Simplex crossing the lane from the gravel pits.
A Ford Anglia waits at the rail crossing.
A 20/28HP Simplex takes a train of empty V skip from the works. The building on the right is the pump house that takes water from the company's own bore hole to the washer.
The Priestman Cub used as a crane in the works yard. This is completely scratch built.
Another general view of the gravel washer and screens and the works manger's Rover. All scratch built from plastic and brass section.
Another view.
Overall view.
The brickworks, showing the Hofmann kiln. This was based on one still in use at Normanton Brick Co. On the left is the foot of the rope worked incline to the pugmill.
The pugmill. This was based on the one at Wm. Blyth's Far Ings Tileries at Barton on Humber. Inside is the remains of an N gauge Minitrix dock tank to haul the skips up the incline. One the left in the background is the boiler house, on the right a drying shed and in the foreground, a dismantled 20/26HP Simplex.
The tracks to the pits. On the left to the clay pits and on the right to the gravel pits. The ballast is a mixture of budgie grit, sand and real brick.
Dave

My layout thread - viewtopic.php?t=1282

Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Ruston

Postby MartinWales » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 pm

Dave-this is a truly excellent little layout!

BTW is that an Austin A40 lurking in the background?
Martin 'Back in an hour' Jones
C.S.I. Wales
WACKO International

The summer sun is fading
As the year grows old
And darker days
Are drawing near
MartinWales

Location: Llanberis, Gwynedd, North Wales Snowdon that way<-Cambrian that way->

Postby Pudley Wonderer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:56 pm

Erm, would everyone please excuse the trip hazard on the floor, I'll mop it up later after I've stopped drooling :) :wink:
Puds.................I Know What I Like (On My Workbench)

ImageImage
Pudley Wonderer

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Simply SUPERB!!!!!!!!!
Atheism is a non-prophet organization
layout http://www.freewebs.com/lenches-bridge/
Mike

Postby tommy mac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:40 pm

wow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
tommy mac

Postby greengiant » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:46 pm

Very nice, lots of lovely atmosphere.
Thanks for sharing.
greengiant

Postby Stuart in OZ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Super WOW

Stuart in OZ
Australian T-TRAK-HO Coordinator
Stuart in OZ

Re: Whitaker's Tramway - 7mm scale 2ft. gauge industrial.

Postby cornelius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:11 pm

Wonderful. Thank you for taking the trouble to post it. I'm starting small with O-14 but this is excellent inspiration.

RustonsRUs wrote:As an excuse to have more locos than such a site
would ever have there is a workshop that repairs and services locos from the companys other works in the area.

Good excuse :lol:
SAGist ~ Fairlight Works Blog
Get word to the DJ, tell 'em Staten Island's in the house, put the record on replay
cornelius

Postby IanHolmes » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:21 pm

very very nice indeed. :D

Ian
Blogging T scale http://more-t-please.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and 4mm scale http://4mmscaleagonies.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just how quickly can I build a layout? http://7daymodelrailroad.blogspot.com/
IanHolmes

Postby Kenton » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:29 pm

What a wonderful layout - where have you been hiding that.

And another O-14 tempter.

Thanks very much for sharing the pictures
The Loco Shed Allocation List at http://www.steamsheds.co.uk/

Layout (most recent) : Sychpwll (009)
OK_WB (most recent) : GWR 1338 Kitson 0-4-0ST (7mm)
Kenton

Postby ChrisM » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:37 pm

wow again!!

every 0-14 layout I see pictures of seems to temp me further :?
ChrisM

Postby Phil Traxson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Excellent model!
Now for the questions, are you likely to be at the Bradford members day of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association on Saturday 17th November, St. Cuthberts Church, Wrose Road, Bradford (which will be open to all interested in 7mm narrow gauge models). Is it portable and available for Exhibition and last, but not least, would you be interested in exhibiting at the 7mm NGA convention in Burton-upon-Trent Saturday 10th May 2008. Either PM me or see me Saturday at Bradford. I shall be splashing resin about as usual and my co-pilot will be running Port Wynnstay Models for me.
Phil Traxson
Phil Traxson

Postby Ruston » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Martin - yep, it is an A40. It's an old die cast that I've had since I was a kid. The newness had worn off so I repainted it and stuck it on the layout.

Phil - It's permanently fixed in the loft so can't be moved. Unless you want to remove it? Seriously. I'm thinking of getting rid of it to free up space for more N gauge.

If anyone is considering O-14 be prepared to spend a lot of time laying track and filing all components for points from straight rail. It's not fun but well worth the difference from O-16.5. The points are correct radius and the appearance of the RCL plastic sleepers is just like the Hudson Jubilee track with its pressed steel sleepers.

A few pics of some more locos. The last two aren't on this layout and one was built for a project that never got any further than building the loco:
12HP Lister engined loco with front cooling tank (scratch body with Wrightlines fittings on RCL chassis.)

7 ton 44/48HP 4 VRO engined loco as per those used at RAF Fauld. (Scratch body with Wrightlines buffer blocks, running on SPUD. )

33/40HP loco. (Wrigtlines kit modified to 2ft gauge and with scratch detail engine with manifolds and injector pipes)

16/20HP loco. The early type with half-round radiator header tank. (Scratch body with Wrightlines fittings and home cast buffer blocks on RCL chassis.)

LBT loco. (RCL kit, weathered and with added vertical exhaust.)

Another 33/40HP loco. This one is a replica of w/n 198297, the ex Croesor mine loco. (Wrightlines kit, Modified to 2ft. gauge and with added details such as handrail and exhaust conditioner for underground use.) I used to own the 12in. to the foot version.
The real thing after restoration with signwriting and lining:
(pic hotlinked from MRT website - photo is my copyright)

LAT type. ( RCL kit, Modified from what looked very much like the LBT above to represent a loco re-engined by company fitters. The engine is a Lister air-cooled 3 cylinder type. Scratch built from brass and plasticard.)

11/13HP loco, early type with curved front cooling tank. Unfinished project in "works" primer. Scratch body with Wrightlines fittings. This loco has been modelled as one with the frame extensions for use on a 2ft. 6 in. line and with seperate buffers as used on some ironstone tramways in Lincolnshire. The gearbox on this and the others is a home casting in whitemetal.
For more of the real thing - http://www.mrt.org.uk
Dave

Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Ruston

Postby Ralf » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:10 am

Dave,

Very impressive stuff, really like it, you can't bring yourself to dump it can you?? - really?
Last edited by Ralf on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralf

Postby cornelius » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 am

RustonsRUs wrote:Phil - It's permanently fixed in the loft so can't be moved. Unless you want to remove it? Seriously. I'm thinking of getting rid of it to free up space for more N gauge.

My shed isn't big enough :(
SAGist ~ Fairlight Works Blog
Get word to the DJ, tell 'em Staten Island's in the house, put the record on replay
cornelius

Postby sandshifter » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Absolutely fantastic stuff! Very atmospheric and superb attention to detail.

Please, please, please do not rip it up, without at least an attempt to extract it from the loft and take it to Burton 8)

Colin
sandshifter

Postby Ruston » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 pm

sandshifter wrote:Absolutely fantastic stuff! Very atmospheric and superb attention to detail.

Please, please, please do not rip it up, without at least an attempt to extract it from the loft and take it to Burton 8)

Colin

There's no chance of it being exhibited, at least not by me. It was never designed to move and the baseboards are screwed to the frame, which is screwed to the wall and floor. When it does come out I intend to take the whole lot out. Hopefully it won't be destroyed and will be reassembled in another permanent home but altering it so that it could be transported and set up at an exhibition is out of the question for me. I suppose if anyone wanted to do it and were willing to remove it I'd let them in exchange for materials to build new baseboards and supports. It would be nice to see it kept on by someone. I plan(ned) to donate it to the MRT as a static display once they have the permanent museum up and running but that may be some time off yet and I'm constantly eyeing up the space and thinking that a nice 4 track mainline and a colliery in N could fit there - it's only a matter of time...
Dave

Ruston

Postby wehf100 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 pm

cant add much, but I worked in Barton (next door to Blyth' far ings works) and this looks absolutley spot on for that hole area- though of re-locating it!!!??? Superb modelling, great atmosphere, even the ruston stock is perfect for the industy involved. The kiln is particularly effective, they really are such huge buildings in real life. alas i never got to see a real one, just the foundations which are left spotted along the Humber's banks.

I'm getting on wth my standard gauge 7mm scale brickwork/ general shunting layout in the Humber area, and this sort of model is making me wonder if pregrouping era was the best to chose!

Will
wehf100

Postby Ruston » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:18 pm

As mentioned in a previous post, this layout has to go. I have managed to take up the brickworks baseboards (sundeala) from the framework so far mostly intact, with only a few cuts to the track where it crosses boards. All buildings and trees have been removed intact.

I am offering this to anyone who wants to take it on and rebuild it. I would like in exchange some raw materials to make new boards (6 off 6mm ply sheets of 3ftx4ft and 30ft of 2x1 planed timber would be nice). If anyone wants it you will have to collect as soon as possible. I am located in West yorkshire.

The framework is staying where it is and the most of the locos and rolling stock are not available unless anyone wants a particular loco and then a cash sale may be arranged.

I'll be removing the gravel works buildings and boards soon and once that is all up, if there are no takers it will be disposed of.

Please send a PM if interested.

Thank you.
Dave

Ruston

Postby dyserthroad » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Excellent modelling!
Working cranes and intermodal action in 'OO' gauge

http://www.holland-park.co.uk
dyserthroad

Postby michael delamar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:46 pm

model making at its best, love it and want it :thup

Mike
michael delamar

Postby m0rris » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:20 pm

wow that is a very nice railway indeed was it in railway modeller or am I getting it confused something else, anyway a very very nice railway wish I could do that, by the way where did you find th plans for the priestman cub as I have looked on the internet to no avail and having seen your exccellent scratchbuild I thought I might as well ask here!
m0rris
some say the stig has a cousin who drives trains.....
......other say he doesn't
m0rris

Postby Ruston » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi morris. It wasn't in RM but was in the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review (what a mouthfull that is!).

I don't have any drawings for the Cub. I scaled it from a photo in a magazine or something, I can't remember exactly what; it was a while ago.
Dave

Ruston

Postby Ruston » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm pleased to say that this layout has found a new owner. I'll leave him to fill you in on his plans for it once he has collected it tomorrow. It won't be the last we see of it on RMweb. :clap
Dave

Ruston

Postby R T Fact » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Looking forward to hearing what is proposed: a good layout and worthy of being rebuilt.
Rod - modelling narrow gauge but hopefully not narrow minded

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/
R T Fact

Next

Return to Layouts