Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Re: Highclere

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi.

Thanks again for the comments. I have just got back from visiting Highclere Station (or whats left of it) to check out a few bits and also take some piccies which hopefully will becomme my backscene in time. I guess I am really lucky in that the buildings are still there and not that far away from me. You can really get a feel for what it must have looked like.

Paul, when I went to Minster I just asked for some high density styrene sheet. As I payed them a visit they took me into the warehouse and got me to find it! Im sorry I dont know the proper name of it but I am sure that if you ask for a yellow high density styrene sheet they should know what you are talking about. FYI the boards are 2 ft wide.

Shaun, I think the DN&SR was an equivalent to the S&D although the gradients werent anywhere near as big and its nowhere as famous. I am surprised there arent more models based on the DN&SR around as I think it is an ideal line to model. From what I have found out there seems to be loads of engines that ran on the line including: Collett 0-6-0s, pannier tanks, T9s, GW 2-8-0s, Manors, Granges, Halls, standard class 4s, etc... Even 9Fs, Austerities, and early diesels!

Missy :D
-missy-

Postby 7F 2-8-0 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:03 pm

The local library in Newbury has 3 excellent books that I have read and well worth checking out.

Shaun
"according to the 9 O'clock news It's getting dark outside"..."what! ideal conditions for night time"

My Avatar -41Sqn - Somewhere over Iraq

my photopic site, still building http://shaun-waite.fotopic.net/
7F 2-8-0

Wanna Read About Highclere?

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm

7F 2-8-0 wrote:The local library in Newbury has 3 excellent books that I have read and well worth checking out.

Shaun

Shaun.

Hi, the books I have are listed below. Are there any that I have missed?

The Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway - Wild Swan, Paul Karau
Didcot Newbury and Southampton Railway Supplement - Wild Swan, Kevin Robertson
A Historical Survey of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway Layouts and Illustrations - Oxford Publising Co, CW Judge
Didcot to Winchester (Country Railway Routes) - Middleton Press, Vic Mitchell
On Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Lines - Ian Allen, Kevin Robertson (Fantastic colour piccies)
The Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Railway - The Oakwood Press, TB Sands

Like most people I guess, I am always on the lookout for more information on the railway. There doesnt seem to be that much on the web :(

-missy-

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Missy, the laser job on the card is extremely impressive, not just from the point of view of the computer design on the brick pattern, but also the execution of the laser cutting on the card itself. I've no idea how you do this, and didn't even know you could use lasers on card and paper, but it really looks good with your colouring, and to think that that is 2mm as well - wow - it's fantastic! A lovely prototype, btw, you are clearly using all the advantages of the smaller scale with regard to the sweeping scene you are now reproducing, but not losing any of the detail! Best of luck with it! :thup
‘I suppose Kernow might want to know why I didn’t ask permission to leave the ship. Anyway, never mind about that, the Bodmin coach leaves in an hour’. Archie collected their bags and they quietly left the little tavern, which had been their home for the last few days. But little did they realise that a Prussian grenadier called Horst was quietly watching them from behind a pair of beer barrels
Captain Kernow

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Missy, the laser job on the card is extremely impressive, not just from the point of view of the computer design on the brick pattern, but also the execution of the laser cutting on the card itself. I've no idea how you do this, and didn't even know you could use lasers on card and paper, but it really looks good with your colouring, and to think that that is 2mm as well - wow - it's fantastic! A lovely prototype, btw, you are clearly using all the advantages of the smaller scale with regard to the sweeping scene you are now reproducing, but not losing any of the detail! Best of luck with it! :thup

Hi.

Praise indeed! Thank you :D

I was lucky in stumbling across someone who has access to a laser machine and took full advantage of it. Although not able to cut soft plastics (plasticard) and metal between my friend and myself we have manged to get it to produce some good looking stuff. It still amazes me how it is able to 'half etch' thin card to get a brick pattern.
iron-bridge-small.jpg
iron-bridge-small.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 4295 times

The piccie above shows another project I did for our clubs layout. It will end up as an iron bridge that sits over a canal. Its laser cut from 1mm thick plywood and glued together with superglue. The picture doesnt really do it much justice, it looks fantastic in real life :D

-missy-

Postby cornelius » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:53 pm

-missy- wrote:The piccie above shows another project I did for our clubs layout. It will end up as an iron bridge that sits over a canal. Its laser cut from 1mm thick plywood and glued together with superglue. The picture doesnt really do it much justice, it looks fantastic in real life :D

Looks pretty good from here. Amazing stuff!
SAGist ~ Fairlight Works Blog
Get word to the DJ, tell 'em Staten Island's in the house, put the record on replay
cornelius

Postby 7F 2-8-0 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi, 2 of the books are the top 2 you have listed I forgot about the Historical survey as thats a good one too, but they had an Ian Allan book of the pictorial survey books they do in colour & lanscape format I can't remember the title or author but I could find ou the next time I am in town,

Shaun
"according to the 9 O'clock news It's getting dark outside"..."what! ideal conditions for night time"

My Avatar -41Sqn - Somewhere over Iraq

my photopic site, still building http://shaun-waite.fotopic.net/
7F 2-8-0

Postby Phil » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:36 pm

-missy- wrote:I was lucky in stumbling across someone who has access to a laser machine and took full advantage of it. Although not able to cut soft plastics (plasticard) and metal between my friend and myself we have manged to get it to produce some good looking stuff. It still amazes me how it is able to 'half etch' thin card to get a brick pattern.

The piccie above shows another project I did for our clubs layout. It will end up as an iron bridge that sits over a canal. Its laser cut from 1mm thick plywood and glued together with superglue. The picture doesnt really do it much justice, it looks fantastic in real life

Missy. That canal bridge looks really good.

One of my intentions is to recreate the style of cast iron (foot) bridges over the West Midlands canals. These have a pattern of triangles arranged a sort of diamond style. Here is a bridge just a few miles from my house which I intend to measure up this week. The big problem though is, there arn't any straight lines on it !!!
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby PaulRhB » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks for the info, they have a warehouse at Southampton so I'll pop in there sometime. That bridge is beautiful :D
PaulRhB

Postby -missy- » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:04 pm

7F 2-8-0 wrote:Hi, 2 of the books are the top 2 you have listed I forgot about the Historical survey as thats a good one too, but they had an Ian Allan book of the pictorial survey books they do in colour & lanscape format I can't remember the title or author but I could find ou the next time I am in town,

Shaun

Shaun.

Hi. I think the book you are on about is the 'On Didcot, Newbury & Southampton Lines' book by Kevin Robertson. Its published by Ian Allen and is pretty much nothing but colour pictures. I have it and its well worth buying if you are interested in the DN&SR as its the only place I have seen colour pictures so far.

-missy-

Re: Highclere - Oh no, someones cut it up!

Postby -missy- » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi.

Time for an update....

I have now been persuaded to take the layout to the 2mm Associations EXPO in Oxford on the 28th June so I have now been panicing and trying to get some work done on Highclere. Up until this weekend they were still just 2 sheets of polystyrene but hopefully by the end of the weekend it will have wood glued to it! Im not sure how much will get done in time for the show but I am trying my best!
14-06-08.jpg
14-06-08.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 3854 times

The piccie above shows the first scary bit! The boards had to be squared up a little and the width had to be narrowed down by 3 inches to accomodate the frames that will hold the lights and front piece thingy (sorry cant think of the name!) so hopefully it hasnt messed up the feel of the railway in a landscape which I am so determined to achieve. Still the picture shows the offcuts from the layout. Scary or what!

More to follow soon...

-missy-

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Good luck with the show, Missy.

The canal bridge is simply stunning, I had no idea you could do that kind of stuff with laser cutting.... :shock:
‘I suppose Kernow might want to know why I didn’t ask permission to leave the ship. Anyway, never mind about that, the Bodmin coach leaves in an hour’. Archie collected their bags and they quietly left the little tavern, which had been their home for the last few days. But little did they realise that a Prussian grenadier called Horst was quietly watching them from behind a pair of beer barrels
Captain Kernow

Postby wehf100 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Missy,

I know the thread touched on the method you used to create contours in extruded polystyrene, but could I ask if you felt doing it in 'slices' was a good method? Did you add any longitudinal support by dowel, metal rod etc? Would you advise doing so? It certainly looks very nice.

I am soon to be starting a 7mm layout with scenery in this fashion. (Also dabbling in 2mm but don't actually have any plans for a layout as yet.- I just like building tiny wagons of pre-grouping prototypes....)

Will
wehf100

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm

wehf100 wrote:Hi Missy,

I know the thread touched on the method you used to create contours in extruded polystyrene, but could I ask if you felt doing it in 'slices' was a good method? Did you add any longitudinal support by dowel, metal rod etc? Would you advise doing so? It certainly looks very nice.
Will

Will.

Thank you for the comment. The reason why I created the contours in 'slices' was because of the hot wire cutter I had only could take a maximum thickness of just over 50mm and the styrene I used was 50mm thick. I kinda went for the hot wire cutter over carving most of the styrene mostly because of the mess it makes. Even finishing off the styrene after cutting with the hot wire cutter with sandpaper made a real mess. If you could do it outside, in a garage or similar then I guess it wouldnt be as much of a problem. Using slices took alot longer and probably used more styrene but after all it will all be covered so I think it doesnt really matter.

The only support I have used for the styrene is some 4mm plywood which now has been glued around the outside of the boards (piccies to follow soon I hope!) and this seems to be fine although I wouldnt take the thickness of the styrene and thinner than around 25mm as I have found any thinner makes the styrene easy to flex and distort. I personally dont think you would need anymore than that on boards a similar size to mine (2ft x 4ft). Of course, time will tell if it works!

I hope that helps?

-missy-

Postby mon2008 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi -missy-

Out of interest, what are the dimensions of the base board that you've been picturing?

Regards,
Jon
mon2008

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Hi :D

As I mentioned before below are some pictures from this weekends progress on the layout.

15-06-08.jpg
15-06-08.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

The above piccie shows the right hand board now with a frame made from 4mm thick plywood. The wood on the front and the backscene are simply a single thickness glued directly to the styrene.

15-06-08-02.jpg
15-06-08-02.jpg (45.19 KiB) Viewed 3626 times

Secondly the piccie above is the left hand board with the plywood frame nearly completed and just the front to do. Its hard to see from this picture but the backscene board is curved in the back left corner so to get rid of any nasty corners in the backscene once its stuck on. The next thing for me to think about is how to get a decent photo that will fit onto the whole backscene. The one I took before wont quite fit I have now realised. Any ideas on how to take a picture of about 1200 ft of scenery? :?

This is a good oppertunity to say a BIG thank you to Mark (in the second piccie). He is a woodworking genius and has helped me loads on getting the layout this far. :D

-missy-

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:07 pm

mon2008 wrote:Hi -missy-

Out of interest, what are the dimensions of the base board that you've been picturing?

Regards,
Jon

Jon.

Hello :D There are 2 scenic boards. Each one is 2ft wide by 4ft long. I havent even thought about the fiddle yards yet!

-missy-

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Good luck with the show, Missy.

The canal bridge is simply stunning, I had no idea you could do that kind of stuff with laser cutting.... :shock:

Captain.

Hi :) Thank you for the support. I have been in a mild state of panic ever since I was asked to take it and the damn thing isnt even finished yet! I would love to take a layout I have built to some shows but its the nerves which scare me. I would hate to think if the thing went wrong or wasnt reliable enough to run okay :(

It has been a real learning curve with the laser cutter and I am very lucky to have access to one to experiment so easily. So far it has been a case of press the start button and see what comes out! I always am amazed myself when I get to see what it has done with my artwork :D

-missy-

Postby wusko » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 pm

-missy- wrote:Hi :D
The next thing for me to think about is how to get a decent photo that will fit onto the whole backscene. The one I took before wont quite fit I have now realised. Any ideas on how to take a picture of about 1200 ft of scenery? :?

Some cameras & some software allow you to stitch several photos together.
Howard, Merg Secretary
MERG
Now I've got a "roundtuit" there is no excuse (Yes that really is a BIG computer disk)
wusko

Postby J83 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 pm

I assume you'll be running Bertie along that viaduct and having races with Thomas?

No?

Just me then! :P
Tom Davidson
J83

Postby -missy- » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Waverley Bridge wrote:I assume you'll be running Bertie along that viaduct and having races with Thomas?

No?

Just me then! :P

Hmmmm. Dont give me ideas, I have always thought about doing a finescale Thomas :P
-missy-

Postby -missy- » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi.

21-06-08.jpg
21-06-08.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 3243 times

Time for another update. Today I have mostly been sorting out the wiring on one of the boards. The only thing I can say is DCC is soooooo easy to wire! I have used copper tape everywhere apart from the actual dropper wires from the track, everything is wired onto the 2 'bus bars' at the top and bottom. The little bracket thingy about 2/3rds the way down the board is for the point control. More on that later....

-missy-

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi Missy.
Really enjoying this thread as it seems to be landscape with a railway running through it :thup , rather than mucho railway with a bit of scenic border to it :thdown .

I clicked on the link on your signature line and went to the Oxfordshire 2mm association and a webpage signed by Brian Denton. Is he the same Brian Denton who was a driver, later TCS at Eastleigh ?

Keep up the good work Missy
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Phil wrote:Hi Missy.
Really enjoying this thread as it seems to be landscape with a railway running through it :thup , rather than mucho railway with a bit of scenic border to it :thdown .

I clicked on the link on your signature line and went to the Oxfordshire 2mm association and a webpage signed by Brian Denton. Is he the same Brian Denton who was a driver, later TCS at Eastleigh ?

Keep up the good work Missy

Phil.

Hi. Thanks for the comments :D I am really trying to achieve a landscape with a railway running through it so comments like that tell me I am doing the right thing so far. I guess its one advantage of modelling an actual location.

Brian isnt who you think unfortunately. Good guess though!

-missy-

Highclere bridge nearly done...

Postby -missy- » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi. :D

In a desperate attempt to try and get some stuff done before the show this weekend (why oh why did I agree to it?!?) I have been trying to get the bridge finished so I can glue it in place, fill the gaps and finish covering that end of the board with sculptamold ready for painting etc...

bridge.jpg
bridge is nearly there...
bridge.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

The bridge was the first thing I made for the layout and was made from cardboard but since then I have found an easier way of making buildings using plasticard, but I couldnt face rebuilding the bridge so I stuck with it. The card has been covered with some of the laser cut card (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and simply coloured in with pencils. I think with a bit of weathering it should look ok? I just have to figure out now the best way of weathering it...

-missy-

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts