Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Re: Highclere

Postby RandyWales » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi Missy....
While thumbing through the RMWeb forums, it's typical that many threads only get a cursory glance, and you move on.

I've visited your thread before, but only that cursory glance, I'm afraid :oops:

It can take something out of the ordinary to get you to start paying full attention to a thread, and when I clicked on your latest posting this evening, I was immediately impressed by the remarkable quality of the window detail on the signal cabin :thup

I was then absolutley stunned :shock: to discover the signal cabin is 2mm scale.

Very few of us have the ability to produce bespoke etchings, which so far has been the only way to get detail of this definition.

One day, laser cutting machines will become two-a-penny like printers, and we will all be able to take advantage of another advancement in our hobby.

To my mind, this is ground-breaking stuff. You pioneer, you.....

I've now re-read your thread in full, (the iron bridge is sublime) and look forward to seeing more as Highclere develops.
Thread bookmarked for follow-up....

Randall
RandyWales

Postby Ben A » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:13 am

Superb work so far - really enjoying this thread.

The laser-etched brick paper is very interesting indeed - like you, I have tended to find plasticard too coarse for 2mm work, while I find card a little too smooth.

Is your trackwork done the traditional way, with copperclad sleepers, or does it use the new Easitrac plastic mouldings?

Look forward to seeing more.

cheers

Ben A.
Ben A

Re: Highclere (a bit of progress)

Postby PaulCheffus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:08 am

-missy- wrote:Hi :D
As you can see I have manged to get all the windows in now (which were cut out of thin cardboard by my local friendly laser cutter man!) And now I have made a start on the chimney. In this photo you can see the laser engraved bricks quite well but also unfortunately it shows up the dodgey modelling but you have to bear in mind it is the first ever building I have made! I hope the next one will be better.
Missy :D

Hi

What dodgey modelling? That looks superb to me and a nice touch having some of the windows open.

Cheers

Paul
PaulCheffus

Postby beast66606 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:20 pm

Nice cabin - I went in the original :shock: - a long time after closure obviously :)

When digging for my Delamere shots I will see if I can find these too, one of the old (GWR wartime provided) DN&S cabins still had some of the interior colours, not sure if it was Highclere or Burgclere though :what
Dave
All opinions are mine and mine alone
------------------------
WFRM founder
http://www.wirralfinescale.com
My sons fotopic
http://www.johnskipsey.fotopic.net/
My YouTube
http://uk.youtube.com/user/beast66606
beast66606

Postby -missy- » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi :D

Guys, thanks so much for the comments. It really does give me the incentive to keep going :D

Randall,

To be honest I was amazed how impressed you are! I certianly wouldnt call myself a pioneer for sure. The way I think about it is to try and do my own thing the best way I can think of doing it (if that makes sense?). I try not to do a model of a model. I always keep an eye out for new ways of doing things and never let an oppertunity pass. Laser cuttes used for modelling is nothing new, the US have been using them for a while now and while giving excellent results in areas they have thier limits (like not cutting metal). Anyway thank you for your praise, it is most appreciated :D

Ben,

My track has been built the 'traditional' way with copper clad sleepers and the rail soldered to them. I finished the track a while ago now way before the Easitrak came out and there is no way I am taking the track up and replacing it! The Easitrak is fantastic though and definately worth using if you havent dont any track yet, and when the points are sorted it will be impossible to ignore.

Dave,

I have a few piccies of the signal boxes in some books and it looks like the interiors were lacking a bit in creature comforts. The pictures below are based on the books. I know for sure the Highclere box is still there (its a goat shed with double glazing now!) and I am pretty sure the Burghclere one is still around too. Thanks for the comment too :D

Paul.

Thank you for the vote of confidence :D although I can see things which I am not happy with. The trouble is where do you draw the line and move on to the next thing? I mean it would be so easy to spend months and months modelling something! The pictures below are a good example of what I am trying to say...

signal-box-9-8-8-1.jpg
signal-box-9-8-8-1.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

signal-box-9-8-8-2.jpg
signal-box-9-8-8-2.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 3725 times

The pictures above are the result of todays modelling. The trouble is I have been questioning all day why am I doing this? I mean once on the layout the signal box will be at the back of the layout and a good 3ft away from anyone viewing it. With that in mind there is probably no chance anyone will ever notice the stuff inside! But still I HAVE to model it for some weird reason :)

Am I being stupid?

-missy-

Postby Miss Prism » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:15 pm

-missy- wrote:The trouble is I have been questioning all day why am I doing this?

Because you wanted to?
Miss Prism

Postby mitziblue » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:49 pm

The trouble is I have been questioning all day why am I doing this?
Am I being stupid?

I would say not totally, the reason your doing it is becouse YOU know it's there.

Mark :thup
No Farish rolling stock was harmed during the making of this layout.

My layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25083

Workbenchhttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35174
mitziblue

Postby 77philg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:03 pm

put a light in the box then it would be seen . I also agree ,that you know that its there and you have the skills to put it there.regards 77 philg
77philg

Postby Din » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:10 pm

I'll just continue to read this thread with my jaw welded to the floor.

Ruddy well done Missy!
Din

Postby nzovu » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:45 am

Missy, I've been following your thread for a while and it just gets better and better. Cutting edge I'd say, in more ways than one. Of course it does help that the DN&SR is one of my favourite lines :D. And although I'm a fan of the Edwardian period, I can see what you mean about the attraction of the grimy 1940s and 50s. Pls keep it coming :thup
GWR Modelling at http://www.gwr.org.uk
nzovu

Postby The Stationmaster » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:09 am

beast66606 wrote:Nice cabin - I went in the original :shock: - a long time after closure obviously :)

When digging for my Delamere shots I will see if I can find these too, one of the old (GWR wartime provided) DN&S cabins still had some of the interior colours, not sure if it was Highclere or Burgclere though :what

The usual interior colous scheme in Western Region days seems to have been cream painted walls, usually (? sometimes) with the lower part of the walls painted chocolate brown. Later the interior scheme changed to one of the stanadrd structure coloour pale greys (as used on the exterior of some 'boxes). Incidentally I presume that the floor would have had the standard lino covering - unusual to find a 'box without it as it also served the practical purpose of stopping muck going between the floor boards and making a mess of the S&Ts hard work underneath :D

On another point - if MIssy wants of course :!: - the frame quadrant should be black (keep it quite shiny as in any well kept Western 'box it would have been regularly black leaded). And if you want to go into really deep detail the lever colours should be as follows:-
Red - 1, 2, 3, 7, 10, 11 15, 20 & 21.
Black -9. 12, & 13.
Blue -14 & 16 (to stand in reverse position).
Top half black, bottom half blue - 8.
Spaces (i.e. no lever) - 4, 5, 6, 17, 18, 19.
There would be two token instruments plus a hand generator for No. 8 crossover (hand generators were painted black and were usually placed at teh end of the frame nearest the points they worked - but not always, could also be near the token machines).

One point of 'super realism' worth noting is that the design was notoriously difficult to keep clean inside and teh internal corners could get quite black rather quickly especially up towards the ceiling.
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby -missy- » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Me again :D

Thank again for the positive comments.

Mike,

Thank for the information. The thing is it kinda ties in with what I said in my last post. How far do I take things? I could easily spend loads more time getting the thing as close as possible to the real one as I can manage ut to be honest as I said before its inside the signal ox which will e a good 3 ft if not more away from anyone viewing it once on the layout. Where do I draw the line and move onto the next thing? After all isnt 2mm modelling all about creating an impression? Fantastic information though, its amazing how much you learn about an area including details when you model an actual prototype.

Anyway I am probably going to be told off for posting a picture scanned from a book but I really think the picture below is worth posting to show what the inside of the signal boxes were like. Its a picture of the Whitchurch signal box which I am assuming wasnt much different from the Highclere signal box (they looked pretty much standard to me).

signal-box-interior.jpg
signal-box-interior.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 3438 times

-missy-

Postby Welly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Love your signal box! Very highly detailed for a 2mm scale model!

Put it this way,"If that was my layout, I'd be proud of it" and "I wish that was my train set!" :wink:
Now to switch off my PC and do some armchair modelling instead!
Welly

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:58 am

Hi Missy
Whilst doing a bit of online research I discovered references to these photos by A Bennett which you may interested in, if you don't already have them.

If you browse the Transport Treasury website at http://www.transporttreasury.co.uk/browse.asp?page=450
And look through the list of negatives by A E Bennett, the references are :

B5228 6302 leaving Highclere station 5.3.60
B5229 Highclere station 5.3.60
B5230 31794 between Highclere and Burghclere 5.3.60

On a more general note, I was amazed at the number of records of Scotland taken by Norris Forrest. For those modellers who fancy Sou' Western Scotland, or anywhere in Scotland for that matter, the list is tantalising !!!

Anyway, keep up the good work Missy, I'm watching your creation with interest.
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:13 am

Couple more records of negatives from James Harrold on the same website Missy.

H904 Highclere stn view from tn 25/7/59
H905 View from tn of disused platform at Highclere 25/7/59

HTH

Phil

Postby -missy- » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:53 pm

Phil.

Fantastic tip-off :D I am always looking for photos and stuff. I ordered them this afternoon.

Thank you :D
-missy-

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

-missy- wrote:Phil.

Fantastic tip-off :D I am always looking for photos and stuff. I ordered them this afternoon.

Thank you :D

Hey Missy, don't thank me, thank Andy Y for giving us this fantastic medium to help each other :thup

I just lurve RMweb :D :D :D

Phil

Postby Blenheim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:01 am

-missy- wrote:Hi :D

Guys, thanks so much for the comments. It really does give me the incentive to keep going :D

(snipped)

signal-box-9-8-8-1.jpg

signal-box-9-8-8-2.jpg

The pictures above are the result of todays modelling. The trouble is I have been questioning all day why am I doing this? I mean once on the layout the signal box will be at the back of the layout and a good 3ft away from anyone viewing it. With that in mind there is probably no chance anyone will ever notice the stuff inside! But still I HAVE to model it for some weird reason :)

Am I being stupid?

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of fans! :) It's good to see Highclere progressing so well, and that signalbox is impressive -- I'd be happy with it in 4 mm scale, let alone 2 mm! The detailing that no-one can see is done for ourselves, because we know it's there. :wink: I think the laser-cut brick paper is brilliant: lucky you to have access to such equipment. Did you use pencil crayons on the signal box?

As an alternative to soaking the brick paper in Mek Pak to attach it to styrene sheet, have you considered Scotch brand double-sided tape? I've used it to hold pieces of brass together for drilling holes and fretting out, so it certainly sticks, but I'm not sure how long-lasting it would be...
Blenheim

Postby The Stationmaster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:30 pm

-missy- wrote:Me again :D

Thank again for the positive comments.

Mike,

Thank for the information. The thing is it kinda ties in with what I said in my last post. How far do I take things? I could easily spend loads more time getting the thing as close as possible to the real one as I can manage ut to be honest as I said before its inside the signal ox which will e a good 3 ft if not more away from anyone viewing it once on the layout. Where do I draw the line and move onto the next thing? After all isnt 2mm modelling all about creating an impression? Fantastic information though, its amazing how much you learn about an area including details when you model an actual prototype.

Anyway I am probably going to be told off for posting a picture scanned from a book but I really think the picture below is worth posting to show what the inside of the signal boxes were like. Its a picture of the Whitchurch signal box which I am assuming wasnt much different from the Highclere signal box (they looked pretty much standard to me).

I'm sure that 2mm is more about creating a visual impression as you suggest - you've got the space for the sweep of landscape (which already shows in the pics of Highclere of course). And yes, Whitchurch interior would be very similar, the 'box was opened 5 months after Highclere and was of course to the same basic design - and I notice the floorboards behind t 'frame un parallel to it (oops, not that is heavy detail and then some :oops: ).

So when will we be seeing the layout in public - somewhere local I hope (Abingdon perhaps) as it would be rather off having to go miles to see a layout which only lives a dozen miles or so from my own front door :D
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby -missy- » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm

The Stationmaster wrote:So when will we be seeing the layout in public - somewhere local I hope (Abingdon perhaps) as it would be rather off having to go miles to see a layout which only lives a dozen miles or so from my own front door :D [/i]

Mike.

Hi. Good question :D At the moment I dont have any plans to exhibit it. Of course if I was asked to then it might be a different matter. To be honest it will probably end up at the Abingdon show at some point.

Anyway, more progress.... :D

signal-box-16-8-08.jpg
signal-box-16-8-08.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 2706 times

As you can see the signal box is pretty much finished now. All thats left to do is to fit a light of some sort inside and weather it a bit but I am happy with how it looks now :D

station-building-16-8-08.jpg
station-building-16-8-08.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

I have now made a start on the station building using the same method as I did with the signal box (as it seems to work!). I have been thinking how to build this through my mind for a while now and its nice to finally get some time to actually do something :D

-missy-

Postby nevardmedia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Classy work, and in 2mm too - your fine dexterity makes the scale look alot bigger :clap
Chris Nevard
Blog | My Flickr site | My Fotopic site | nevard.com
*New* 8 Oct '09 - Catcott Burtle Top Drawer Photographs!
Please note that all my photography is my copyright and that it must not be altered or reproduced elsewhere without permission.
nevardmedia

Postby The Stationmaster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 pm

-missy- wrote:
The Stationmaster wrote:So when will we be seeing the layout in public - somewhere local I hope (Abingdon perhaps) as it would be rather off having to go miles to see a layout which only lives a dozen miles or so from my own front door :D [/i]

Mike.

Hi. Good question :D At the moment I dont have any plans to exhibit it. Of course if I was asked to then it might be a different matter. To be honest it will probably end up at the Abingdon show at some point.

Anyway, more progress.... :D

signal-box-16-8-08.jpg

As you can see the signal box is pretty much finished now. All thats left to do is to fit a light of some sort inside and weather it a bit but I am happy with how it looks now :D

station-building-16-8-08.jpg

I have now made a start on the station building using the same method as I did with the signal box (as it seems to work!). I have been thinking how to build this through my mind for a while now and its nice to finally get some time to actually do something :D

I reckon the signal box looks very much right for colour (and everything else of course :D )as it is. Always difficult to tell with photographic images but if anything at all possibly a touch paler as the brick of these 'boxes weathered off to a lighter shade with the pointing looking very white (with a tad of grime, but not much). But really the only bit which stands out at all is the 'concrete' colour of various lintels - they usually weathered down to a very pale shade indeed.
Mike,
The Stationmaster
The Stationmaster

Postby rob2 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 pm

Hello Missy,
I haven't been browsing in layouts so much recently but am really happy I saw this one-the only word I can use here is exquisite,modelling of the highest standard,in fact this wiil be a work of art as well as a model!Its a real pleasure to behold,the sort of artistry that really inspires.Please keep posting,anytime I'm feeling disillusioned I'll just have a browse on here!
Rob
rob2

Postby -missy- » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:28 pm

Me again :D

Guys, WOW, thanks for the comments again. Thanks to Chris and Rob for the praise (although I cant see it as a work of art!) and Mike for the advice, I will try to figure out how to sort the concrete out somehow.

I just wanted to post another couple of piccies on how the station building it going on. It hasnt been too bad today although I really struggled working out some of the angles on bits of the roof! Its getting there though.... :D

station-building-17-08-08-0.jpg
station-building-17-08-08-0.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 2338 times

station-building-17-08-08-1.jpg
station-building-17-08-08-1.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 2340 times

-missy-

Postby OgaugeJB » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Compound angles eh ? They'll get you every time !! :lol:

The new building is looking very nice indeed. Got a nice feel to it, and hasn't even any rendering yet..

Keep up the good work.

Jonathan.
OgaugeJB

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts