Highclere - 2mm Finescale

Re: Highclere

Postby jongwinnett » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:36 am

That looks fantastic.

IIRC brick in that part of world weathers to a more dark red/crimson/dark blood colour, with the orange showing in patches - so perhaps all that may be needed is a wash/glaze of a dark brown, or perhaps a very gentle dry brushing of the same. But try on a test piece first, because what's there so far looks terrific.

But seriously top stuff (and a smashing prototype to boot!) :thup
jongwinnett

Highclere at the 2mm Expo 2008

Postby -missy- » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi.

Thought I would post a quick thing about the 2mm Expo today...

Apart from one person who almost condemmed the layout to the skip for not being prototypical for the era I am modelling :( I had a fantastic time. The show was a great success and the organisers had done a really good job. Apart from one person everyone thought the layout was comming on really well and everyone was full of praise (so I must be doing something right!). There were some really great 2mm finescale layouts there, plenty to encourage others to get something done. I certianly feel confident enough to carry on working on Highclere now :D

Unfortunately because I spent all day talking to people I didnt really get time to take and photos apart from the one below...

pt-with-sticker.jpg
pt-with-sticker.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 4827 times

Im sure he wont mind and before anyone asks, he did know where he had stuck it :lol:

I finally just want to take this oppertunity to thank all the fellow RM Web followers who came to talk to me and for all the nice comments about Highclere...

Missy :D
-missy-

Re: Highclere at the 2mm Expo 2008

Postby Welly » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:24 am

-missy- wrote:Apart from one person who almost condemmed the layout ...

Was that person even worth mentioning? :thdown
At least you had a good day at the 2mm Expo - I never went but I look forward to seeing progress on your layout on this thread and maybe see it in person one day! :thup
Now to switch off my PC and do some armchair modelling instead!
Welly

Postby shortliner » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 am

Missy - when I meet someone who tells me in a superior tone that It is wrong for the era/area/prototype, I hear the Bernard Cribbens song "Hole in the ground" running around inside my head - and Imagine him in the bottom of it - which improves my day enormously! From the photos I've seen, you have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of - more power to your elbow.
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands
Manager and Chief Design Engineer, Bodging Department, H Robinson & R Goldberg Contraptions (Highland) Unlimited

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Image Image
shortliner

Postby trains12 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Missy
I have exhibited a number of layouts at shows and there is always one who knows it all :evil: . Invariably those people are the ones who do not have a layout or are not modellers so just ignore them. The most important thing to remember is that you enjoy what you do so tell them to s!!!!!!!!!! off.
keep up the very good work.
Peter :thup
Cheers Peter
trains12

Postby backofanenvelope » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 am

Hi Missy

Am really enjoying the thread, specially like the copper tape for the buses for DCC. Out of interest what kind of laser is it? I am guessing something pretty industrial and expensive?

Regards
Tom
SAGist ~ Guild of Master Procrastinators ~ Tales from the otherside
backofanenvelope

Postby smudger » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:53 pm

That bridge looks impressive to me and the laser-cut card gives the best impression of brick I have seen in 2mm. I'm interested to read you are now using plasticard. Are you using embossed plasticard on the exterior or still using the laser-cut card? If using emobossed then whose? None I have ever seen look as goos as the finish you have on the bridge.

Cheers.

Alan
smudger
New Poster
New Poster

Postby -missy- » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Guys.

Hello :D Thanks for the comments :D

Welly, Jack, Peter.

Thanks for the advice. Im not going to say anything else on the subject but just leave you with 2 comments he made which have stuck in my head...'if it was mine I would be dissapointed' and 'well it IS your train set'

Tom.

Hi :D Im sorry but I dont know exactly what type of laser it is. Its not a huge industrial thing but more like a medium size machine which is built for colleges and similar, it did cost around ??17,000 though so out of the reach of most modellers! I do believe there are smaller and cheaper ones available and I have heard you can buy one for around ??500. The one I get stuff done on cant cut metal so its not that powerful (etching still rules!)

Alan.

Hi :D Thank you for the comment on the bricks. I am very happy with it. Yesterday I was talking to a few people about it and I kinda thought that in 2mm scale embossed plasticard always looks far too course for my liking, and paper always looks far too smooth and flat even after weathering, so the laser etched stuff seems to fit inbetween the two quite well. I really do need to spend a bit more time working with it though to figure out how to colour it relably.

A while ago someone from the 2mm Association mentioned to me that you can stick paper/card to plasticard easily by soaking the paper/card in some liquid solvent like Slaters Mek-Pak while holding against the plastic and it will stick to it no problem. I tried it and trust me it works well :D so I am going to use that method for my buildings using the laser engraved card.

-missy-

Postby 43003 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:41 pm

-missy- wrote:..Thanks for the advice. Im not going to say anything else on the subject but just leave you with 2 comments he made which have stuck in my head...'if it was mine I would be dissapointed' and 'well it IS your train set'..

Missy, if they were true modellers they wouldn't care, they'd enjoy seeing a smashing layout. I know I would. :mrgreen: And the 2nd guy is right: it is your model railway. Never have I come across the ubiquitous "Thomas the Tank Engine" kids layout and overheard anyone mention that [snooty, snobby voice] "this would never happen, this Class 25 with "Percy"." [/snooty, snobby voice] If they don't do it there, what right does it give them to comment on what you should be proud of!? :) :)
Regards,
Sam.
^Click the image for my Railway Photography^

Blog Site http://thoughtsofanenthusiast.wordpress.com/

Postby PaulCheffus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 am

shortliner wrote:Missy - when I meet someone who tells me in a superior tone that It is wrong for the era/area/prototype, I hear the Bernard Cribbens song "Hole in the ground" running around inside my head - and Imagine him in the bottom of it - which improves my day enormously! From the photos I've seen, you have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of - more power to your elbow.

Hi

In my experience the people who critise the most are the ones that never produce anything. I would just ignore them.

Cheers

Paul
PaulCheffus

Postby -missy- » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi.

OK, back to some modelling with a question...

I have been thinking about the uncouplers for the layout and I cant figure out where to put the damn things. The layout plan is on page 1 of this thread and I am using DG automatic uncouplers. Can anyone help me and give me a hint where to put them? (serious answers only please!)

Thank you.

-missy-

Postby Kris » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm

How about where I've put the red dots on the plan
hc1.jpg
hc1.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 4083 times

I just tried to imagine how I would shunt this and what the possible movement would be.
Kris

Postby Nigelcliffe » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:22 pm

Kris wrote:How about where I've put the red dots on the plan
I just tried to imagine how I would shunt this and what the possible movement would be.

I think I would move the dot on the upper main line to the left of the diamond, I doubt one would uncouple leaving the train blocking the crossing through choice. Or install two, one each side of the crossing.

Other ways to try things apart from imagination(*):
Paper cutouts of trains on a track plan and move them around.
Software version of paper cutouts; one of the various layout planning tools which allows one to run trains on it.

(*) imagination is dangerous; you can forget something and assume its in the "right" place. Whereas making a rough prototype in paper and moving things around (post-it notes work well) means you cannot forget something. Ooops, I'm giving away trade secrets for software user interface design.

- Nigel
Nigel Cliffe
Secretary and Webmaster for The 2mm Scale Association
Various other modelling projects described on my blog
Nigelcliffe

Postby -missy- » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Hello :D

Progress has slowed down a bit since the 2mm Expo but it hasnt stopped!

The bridge is now well and truely stuck in place and has been blended into the rest of the scenery with a bit of sculptamold. I have worked towards the baseboard join a bit more too, and also glued in the platforms. Earlier I tried to take some piccies of what I have done but as there was too much white and I struggled to get and decent photos so I decided to give the scenery a base coat of brown (dulux 'cookie dough' left over from painting my bathroom!), well it looked an ideal colour for a base coat and to be honest most of it will be covered with some kind of woodland scenics stuff soon! Anyway, piccie below shows my 42xx with a short train of box vans just comming into the station.

5-7-8.jpg
42xx with short train of box vans
5-7-8.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 3858 times

P.S. Thanks Kris and Nigel for the help with the uncouplers :D
-missy-

Postby The Moose » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Amazing. Say no more! :thup
Young Man!
The Moose

Postby marc smith » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Yeah, the only way to learn about building layouts is to actually build one (after reading a few books/articles of course!) :D
marc smith (the English Electric Welshman)
marc smith

Postby edubs » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Missy you've got mad skills!
wait a minute, I've gone wrong somewhere....
edubs

Postby -missy- » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 pm

edubs wrote:Missy you've got mad skills!

Hi :D Time for an update me thinks...

Thanks for the comments again, they really do give me the encouragement to carry on.. I am assuming "mad skills" is good so thanks :P

After packing Highclere away for the time being (as I had a birthday to celebrate with friends) I have now turned my efforts towards the buildings on the layout. The first one I am tackling is the signal box as it basically is just a box! Pictures below...

signal-box-pre-bricks.jpg
signal-box-pre-bricks.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 3463 times

The above piccie shows the signal box before I stuck the laser engraved paper onto it. Its been built with 0.6mm thick plasticard and the inside has been done with normal printed brick paper as I dont think its worth that much effort on the inside of a 2mm scale building! As you can see it is not that complicated to build.

signal-box-post-bricks.jpg
signal-box-post-bricks.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 3465 times

The second piccie shows the signal box after the brick paper has been stuck on and painted. One thing I picked up a while ago and which works a treat is you can stick paper onto plasticard by holding the paper onto the plasticard and soaking it in met-pak or similar and trust me it works really well. The bricks then were coloured in using coloured pencils and then the whole thing was given a light spray of grey to tone it down a tad.

Its really true that taking close up pictures of things really can show up any mistakes. You have to remember that the signal box is only 38mm high and 49mm wide (or is it long?), anyway, its actually alot smaller!

-missy-

Postby Phil » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:07 am

Missy.
Even though I am not a 2mm man, I am really enjoying this thread because it is all different. That "austerity" box makes a pleasant change from the typical GWR examples painted in the traditional light and dark "stone". Interested to know what the interiors of these would be like, noting that yours has the brick paper interior. Would they not be whitewashed ?

The 42xx looks a bit of a beast too !!!

This laser printing that you are doing is quite tantalising too. What thickness of paper are you using in order to etch into it ?

Keep posting Missy
Modelling EM scale Black Country railways 1960-1985

Question - what does a "modern image modeller" model ?
Phil

Postby edubs » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:39 am

-missy- wrote: I am assuming "mad skills" is good so thanks

It certainly is, sorry, sometimes struggle to find ways to express my appreciation of something without repeating the same thing over again, and I've probably picked up that phrase from my 10yr old son! Seems apt though, as you are doing your own thing, in your own way, and doing it particularly well.
I recently changed down a scale to N because I have found myself wanting to "paint a picture" rather than "build machines" though obviously this hobby contains elements of both. I look forward to seeing developments on this, and thanks for the small scale inspiration!
wait a minute, I've gone wrong somewhere....
edubs

Postby -missy- » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Phil wrote:Missy.
Even though I am not a 2mm man, I am really enjoying this thread because it is all different. That "austerity" box makes a pleasant change from the typical GWR examples painted in the traditional light and dark "stone". Interested to know what the interiors of these would be like, noting that yours has the brick paper interior. Would they not be whitewashed ?

The 42xx looks a bit of a beast too !!!

This laser printing that you are doing is quite tantalising too. What thickness of paper are you using in order to etch into it ?

Keep posting Missy

Phil.

Hello :D Im glad you are finding my ramblings interesting! To answer your question about the ARP signal box it wasnt whitewashed, painted or anything on the inside according to pictures I have (which I am not sure I can post here as they are in books) I guess during the war years there was a reason for this? One slightly amusing thing they had though was a large safe so that during an air raid the signalman could dive into it just in case! Other than the safe there doesnt look to be much difference between any other signal box.

Thanks for the comment about the 42xx. Its built from a Worsley Works etched kit to 2mm finescale standards. Unfortunately I dont have many decent pictures of it apart from some taken on one of my fellow 2mm modellers layouts so I have posted it below...

42xx.jpg
42xx.jpg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

To answer your final question the paper I have been using for the laser engraved bricks is around 0.2mm thick. Please dont ask me what that is in gsm though :?

-missy-

Postby michaeld » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm really impressed with the board design for your layout,lightweight etc.....posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=23703#
You say you've used a thick yellow styrene sheet from the supplier,what thickness was it? Did you use one sheet thickness as a basic trackbed and then simply build up the scenic levels and framed it with a 4mm ply frame? you said you glued the whole thing? which glues work best??,it looks very good,would like to know more, by the way the rest of it looks rather good! thanks.........Michaelhttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/pos ... f&t=23703#
michaeld

Postby jongwinnett » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:34 pm

I think the sheer brilliance of this layout (and the appearance of plastic sleeper base in 2mm finescale) means I have to reassess my modeling. Historically I've always worked in HO, 4mm or 7mm, but this really looks like it could solve my space problems. (Midsomer Norton in the new MRJ doesn't help either. A favourite prototype, done to scale. I'm tempted, very tempted...)

Chapeau Missy!
jongwinnett

Postby -missy- » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Guys.

Hi :D Thanks once again for the comments :D

Michael, to answer your questions I started off with a 25mm thick sheet which I cut to the length and width of the boards I wanted. With this I then cut access holes where the point blades and power feedthroughs were going to go, you can see it on a picture I posted earlier on in this thread. I then cut a narrower board from 25mm thick styrene and stuck the track to it with a thin layer of foam inbetween. These 2 boards were then stuck together to form a 50mm thick baseboard. I personally wouldnt go any thinner than 50mm without supporting the foam in some kind of way as you might risk the boards twisting. Once the 2, 25mm boards were stuck together they then had 4mm thick plywood stuck around the outside to protect the foam from damage and also to strengthen them a little.

Jon, thank you for the comments :D The way I see it is if you want to model a railway IN a landscape and space is limited then 2mm is ideal. Its something that I am really trying to achieve with Highclere, and if you want something different over the normal run-of-the-mill N Gauge its ideal too. I have never seen a bad 2mm finescale layout yet, they all seem to have a certian quality about them. As you said with the introduction of the 'Easi-Trak' it really does make 2mm easier to model. Its really hard to try and convince anyone to have a go in finescale but hopefully as you have seen with Alans Midsomer Norton the pictures speak for themselves! :)

As far as Highclere is concerned, for the past few weeks I havent really managed much work on it (hence it dropping off the forum a bit). I have been struggling a bit to get any enthusiasm for any type of modelling and its frustrating :wall Im sure it will come back soon and work with once again continue so watch this space!

Missy :)
-missy-

Re: Highclere (a bit of progress)

Postby -missy- » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi :D

It seems like ages since I last posted anything on here but to be honest I am really trying to pull myself out of a bit of a modelling drought what with breaks by the sea, housework, and of course the sun :D

Anyway I have made a bit of progress on the signal box and hopefully I will finish it off this weekend.

signal-box-8-8-8.jpg
signal-box-8-8-8.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

As you can see I have manged to get all the windows in now (which were cut out of thin cardboard by my local friendly laser cutter man!) And now I have made a start on the chimney. In this photo you can see the laser engraved bricks quite well but also unfortunately it shows up the dodgey modelling but you have to bear in mind it is the first ever building I have made! I hope the next one will be better.

More to come soon...

-missy-

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts